does scneted candles cause cancer?

okay guys, here's the deal. my elder sister just gave me an aromatic candle. :) i have been using it with my bath for two days already but im kinda worried because years before, i have heard of some people talking about how aromatic or scented candles can cause cancer in the long run. is this true? or is this the first time that you have heard of such an issue?
@callarse1 (4793)
No, it's not true. If you are worried about getting cancer, you should focus on your diet, make sure you eat lots of fruits and vegetables. A variety of them is good as well. Make sure you eat a low-fat and low calorie diet, exercise, and eat healthy. I think you won't get cancer then.
okay.. :) thak you for your response. i am actually doing all those that you have mentioned, like i said, i am a bit paranoid about my health so i am right now living a healthy lifestyle. :)
@ellie26 (4128)
I dont use aromatic candle. I have never heard about aromatic or scented candles causes cancer in the long run. But I do know that it gives some relaxation to the mind when the aroma fill your room, especially the lavender scent.
hehe, hello there. well, that is what the candle makers are saying, that those scented candles are supposed to bring peace and soothing effect on our mind and body. but i was just worried if they have adverse effects in the long run because a couple of years ago, i heard a topic like that being discussed, about the harm of scented candles in the long run. lolz. :P
It's not the scents that you should be worried about -- it's the wicks. Some time ago I remember reading that the wicks in some imported candles are kept upright by tiny wires made of lead. As the candle burns, so do the tiny wires. It turns out that the wire was made of lead! In burning the candle, you release lead into the air, breath it, and get lead poisoning. When you buy scented candles, always check the wick to see if it has wire added to it. If it is a true unleaded wick, it will be white, and when you twist it in your fingers, you will not feel any prickly wires in it. The wax should chip off the wick revealing nothing but a white cotton twisted thread. Here's a link to a CNN archived report on why lead wicks are so dangerous: http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/alternative/02/01/scented.candles.wmd/index.html *I know, I know, I'm a font of nearly useless information... ;)
ooh, the wicks? wow, i guess that must be one of the reasons why such an issue has popped up. well, thank you very much for giving me the link of the site so that i can gather more information. thank you very much. :)
@zandi458 (27952)
This is something new to me. If that is the case what about fragrant incense? My husband burn incense when he prays and the whole house will smell of the soothing smell of rose. Then what about the spa that use aromatherapy oil. When you talk of cancer, everyone of us have cancer cell in our body it takes something that we consume to trigger it.
well, yes, i agree that everyone of us has cancer cells in our body and that is why i am wondering if scented candles could maybe trigger it to spread or something. remember, there has been no scientific study proving or unproving the effect of scented candles on our body.
@beaniegdi (1966)
I have never heard of this before, I would worry more about starting a fire. However if it bothers you then just use the candle as an ornament, they look great without being burned, they last longer as well.
yeah, my mom has been scolding me also of using candles because she is afraid that i might burn the house. lolz. :P but, i do agree with you, i guess for now, the scented candles in our house would be better off as ornaments. lolz. :P
if some aromatic candles can cause cancer, it has to be establsihed yet as to which ones are these. if you have some fears about this development, just simply stick to the unscented white and yellow ones. aside from being much cheaper, these are the ones which had been around since time immemorial. so be safe and, stick to the ways of old.
yes, i guess you have a point there. i guess i'll just have to ditch those scented candles until i can be sure that they dont really cause harm to our health. lolz. i am just so paranoid about my health sometimes. :P