Cold remedies

@jillhill (37383)
So I have a runny nose, scratchy throat and my ears hurt from my sinuses being plugged up. I am thinking that some chicken soup might do the trick at getting me back on the healthy track. What is your favorite remedey for a cold?
@ljcapps (1926)
The absolute best thing you can do, is stay hydrated. Drink lots of fluids whether it's tea or apple juice. With the chest congestion frequent hot showers will help, just make sure that you stay covered well when you get out. It's not the wet hair that will make you sicker, it's that after a shower your pores are more open, which can cause you to get more ill. I take decongestants with Guaifenesin, like tylenol sinus etc etc, b/c it will help make coughs more productive. But really, i had the same thing recently and was miserable, i couldn't breathe at all. so my wife found a home remedy for me to help clear the congestion, and it worked for me. I'll give you the recipe, but if there's anything you're allergic to in it, don't take it, obviously. ;) i sincerely hope you feel better. I absolutely HATE having sinus/allergy stuff! ugh. Recipe: Add 1 cup tomato juice, 1 tsp chopped fresh garlic, 1/2 tsp of hot sauce, 1 tsp lemon juice, and a pinch or two of celery salt for flavor. Heat ingredients and drink hot. it's not bad without the celery salt, but it does have a bite to it. the heat felt wonderful, and i cleared up, even if it was just for a couple of hours, i could breathe through both nostrils!!
@emckee (465)
wow, you know your stuff! Silly me not mentioning fluids. I feel totally forgetful now.
@ljcapps (1926)
LOL don't feel bad. it comes from years of listening to my wife, and heeding her advice. I've learned in a lot of situations she knows what she's talking about and if she doesn't, she'll either find out or just keep her mouth shut. As hard as that is. LOL i've just learned vicariously.
@jillhill (37383)
Wow. I can see where the drink would loosen you up. thanks for the recipe and thank your wife for me too.
@healer (1783)
Actually we have to keep our feet warm when we have a running nose or when we catch cold. Wear socks and keep away from cold stuffs like cold drinks..etc. Sometimes cold stays long with me and with others also so we have to take good care.
@jillhill (37383)
Thanks for the advice.Never thought about keeping my feet warm though in the winter if I am cold as soon as I get my feet warm the rest of me is warmer. thanks for the response.
@emckee (465)
sleep, green tea, vitamins, orange juice, more sleep, cough drops.... Maybe it is a newly developed alergy? It wouldn't hurt anything to try a Benadryl just to see if maybe that's not it. Your symptoms sound like the type of reaction I get to ragweed. It is about that time of year. We've had a high barometric pressure in the area and this reeks havoc on my sinuses and joints. Get well soon!
@emckee (465)
added note: Try and stay awake from milk too. It tends to make your sinuses worse, it causes more mucus.
@jillhill (37383)
I didn't know about the milk. Is Ice cream considered in that catagory? It truly could be an allergy. Thanks for the response.
I like to mix a little vinegar in water, and add in some chicken broth mix. It really clears me up, or you could just eat a raw jalepeno it would clear things up.
@jillhill (37383)
vinegar? that sounds unusual but vinegar has so many uses it doesn't surprise me. thanks for the help!