how hard it is to be a supervisor?

I'm just new in this position.. There are tough times that I had.. but I know that this is just the beginning.. can please share something to me?
Being a supervisor itself isnt hard, being a good supervisor is whats hard. The ability to be fair, listen, and get your employees to be productive for you is hard. Plus you will always run across difficult people thats just life, and they can make your job miserable. The most important thing I find is to be consistent, dont play favorites, and most of all you have to be tuff skinned and be able to take a lot of crap.
This is so true. Picking favorites is the worst thing you can do. Treat everyone the same. All praise and penalties need to be dished out fairly. You will have someone that excels and someone that slacks. Just try to get everyone on the same level of productivity. Remember pats on the back work better than punishment, as far as implementing long term goals. Make sure you are just as willing to point out something positive as you are to point out a mistake.
Congrats on the position first of all. Its been four months now since the post. Hopefully, all is well. I think the very most important thing to do is always be fair. You are the go between. You are the man in the middle. This puts you in a postion to advocate for both sides at the same time. You have to make sure that the workload is accomplished within whatever standards have been setforth by the company to include things like deadlines and budgets. You also need to be able to push back and advocate for your subordinates. You need to make sure that they have the tools they need to accomplish the tasks assigned and you have to try to work with the company on the workers behalf to try and make sure the standards setforth are reasonable and attainable.
@bfarrier1 (2083)
Randompics, Well stated sounds like you got what it takes to be a very good supervisor, I have been a supervisor for 10 yrs. with a crew of 8 out of those 8, 3 have been there from the very begginning that helps alot too,having the same crew I mean.
@kawaii24 (520)
you need to have lots of lots of lots of patience. Make sure to convey what you really feel about them..always be fair and understand them as much as possible.
Absolutley patience is huge. Take a deep breath and then address the situation. Once the issue is resolved. Let it go. Don't hold a grudge. That person that may have made a mistake has to know that it's not going to be held over their head indefintely.
@zeroflashx2 (2491)
It isn't that easy but it is worthwhile. There will be stages that we have to go through as supervisors such as knowing each other (settle and set aside differences), learn the trade, and then perform as a team. Ans it is our responsibility to oversee everything within the team and the company. One advise I could give you is to control your emotions. I agree with randompics. You're going to get lots of crap out of your subordinates. It may even come to a point where they will observe you instead. Do not give in. Control your emotions and keep the playing grounds at a fair level especially to yourself. And make sure that you know how each of your subordinates think. They will react differently to what you say or do.
As a supervisor you have to be firm in all the policies implemented by the company on the contrary, you should also have the heart to listen and understand your subordinates. Sometimes, you should have the wisdom as when to break certain policies on a case to case basis as a way of letting your people know that you care.It could be a tough role but if you have the firmness and heart in building rapport among your subordinates, you will find yourself happy in what you do.