Why do people flame topics? What is the point of online fighting?

@RESGuy (859)
I find that people who start fights on forums are so dumb. What will you accomplish if you start flaming peoples topics? This is going to be a somewhat inappropriate quote but I find some harsh truth in it, "Fighting online is like playign in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still a retard". Anyways I just wanted to know your thoughts on this, in my case I have never fought with someone on a forum or via IM/PM.
@wolfie34 (26792)
Trouble is my friend is that people feel safe behind a computer and they become cowards in that they can fight dirty, instigate arguments and throw in the abuse, because they can't be touched, they like to upset people and in their warped minds they enjoy the challenge and if they have got to someone and upset them they love it. Sad and sick. This community is very friendly, supportive and we look after our friends, if someone comes along with nastiness they get short, sharp thrift. They are NOT welcome and never are welcome and they'll either be reported, booted off it's a waste of everyone's time and thankfully they're not in their masses!
@RESGuy (859)
Oh yes I completely agree with you. That is how they get their entertainment, and like you said they are most likely very cowardly people, some of them probably have been abused before in real life and therefore they think this is their chance to strike back while, like you said, they can't be touched. I agree that myLot is a very friendly community and I do not see many mean people here. Thank you for your response :-)
@chiyosan (30205)
haha well i think it is really pointless to get to an argument with someone online (someone you barely know - maybe you dont know him/her at all) its just a waste of time trying to make people get your point when in fact, after your offline, everything will just be like ... gone *poof*
@RESGuy (859)
Yeah I totally agree with you it so pointless and just plain stupid to get in to an argument online. Thank you for your response :-)