Psalm 27:8

@BunGirl (2639)
"When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; My heart said unto thee, Thy face, Jehovah, will I seek." (ASV) How many of us are truly, completely obedient to God? It is a hard thing to achieve. David had the idea when he penned this verse. When God tells us to do something, we should not complain, whine, or put it off. We should simply do it. And we should put our hearts into it. The best example of this type of obedience can be seen in the end of Jesus' earthly life: "and being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, becoming obedient even unto death, yea, the death of the cross." (Philippians 2:8 ASV) Obedience to God is something that even the great figures of the Bible have struggled with. It's difficult for us to put aside our own wishes and desires to do God's bidding when we don't know what the outcome may be. It requires a lot of trust to just let go of all of our uncertainties and remember that God knows the outcome, and has a good reason for asking us to do whatever it may be He wants from us. Unlike human authority figures, God will not force us to obey in most cases. If we refuse, He will allow us to do so. But refusal to play our parts in His plan for us can have horrible effects. At the very least we miss out on all that God has in store for our lives, and that is a grave circumstance to be sure. At times, disobedience to God's will for us may mean we will have to deal with painful consequences of our actions. One of the reasons that God doesn't make us do it His way, "or else..." is that He doesn't want us to follow him out of fear or obligation. He wants us to follow His ways out of love. When Jesus was asked which is the most important commandment, "And he said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." (Matthew 22:37 ASV) When we love God the way Jesus describes it here, we strive to obey. We want nothing more than for Him to look upon us and be pleased with what He sees. We are His willing servants because we desire His glory above our own. Still, even the most willing servant can have difficulty discerning what God's call for their life may be. That is why we need to study the word of God, so that we can know Him better. We can also become closer to God through other spiritual disciplines such as prayer, fasting and meditation. In these ways we can grow closer to God, and eventually learn to hear His still, small voice. So when you hear the call of God, when the Holy Spirit tugs on your heart, when God instructs you in what to do, what will your answer be? Will you miss it altogether? Will you ignore Him? Will you obey grudgingly? Or will you give yourself over to God's instruction, wholeheartedly and without regret?
@gewcew23 (8011)
I totally agree with you. I know that sometimes it is hard to obey what GOd is telling you. I know that He has a reason but at the time I am like GOd are you sure you know what you're doing. This can't be what you want me to do. But I believe in fasting and praying. YOu will hear GOd's voice. I also know that between 3 am and 6 am is the times I hear Him the strongest. A preacher I heard preach one time said this is the time when Satan and his demons are less active and the windows of heaven are wide open and not obstructed by satan. I believe it is true. I find my best prayer and bible studying time to be here.
@BunGirl (2639)
Well I don't believe for a moment that God is limited to certain hours by the works of Satan. Satan's just not that powerful. I do know however that we are most able to quiet ourselves and really listen at certain times of the day, but I think those times are different for each individual.
@gewcew23 (8011)
Oh I am not saying that God is limited to any particular times either. I have heard God speak to me all times of the day. I just find that at this time of the morning I hear Him speak more clearly. Satan can use everything in our lives to keep us from hearing God. I didn't mean that God is limited to any certain times.
@gberlin (3836)
I like to think that I will obey Him but I know from my past that I have not done so. I am moving toward that goal and find that the more I trust Him the happier I am.
@BunGirl (2639)
Isn't it funny how that works? We don't trust for so long because we're afraid we'll have to give up the things we think make us happy, but then when we get past that and learn to trust, we see how much happier we are with God than with things!
@gberlin (3836)
That is so true!
@lucy02 (5017)
I have to admit I am guilty of not always obeying God. I know better. I just don't always do better. I let self get in the way.
@BunGirl (2639)
I think that's the case for a lot of us, myself included.
@peavey (16860)
Very timely for me, thank you. Hearing that "still, small voice" takes obedience in itself. Rushing around in this busy world tends to dull our senses, so taking enough time to listen is essential.
@BunGirl (2639)
You couldn't be more correct.
@charms88 (7541)
Hello bungirl. Being a devoted Christian, I always relied on my inner voice. I would like to think that my inner voice is the voice of the holy spirit instructing and guiding me. There will be days when I can't hear nor feel it. In days like this, I simply do my daily routine life and try to do good deeds. I would be a hypocrite if I said that I always follow what God wanted me to do. I will pray and questioned His wisdom too. I know God will understand me for He himself loves to hear all our complains, ranting and whining. He likes us to share everything with Him. From there, He will provide us more answers.