To All the Cooks

@MsTickle (24962)
Australia
I've just made some vegetable broth. I didn't use salt and it's almost too sweet. I also used too much pepper and wondering if anyone can suggest how to counteract this. I was thinking of adding some sour cream as well...should I?
When something is too salty, they often suggest adding a potato, boiling it, then throwing the potato away. I do not know if this works as well for black pepper. I would try to take care of the sweetness by adding vinegar, lemon juice or unsalted tomato juice. Is it sweet by any chance from too many carrots? The potato might take care of that problem. Good luck.
@MsTickle (24962)
Too many carrots eh? I didn't realise carrots made things sweet, I thought it might have been the big onion. There were lots of carrots in the soup pack I used and only one iddle widdle potato. LOL
@Lakota12 (42684)
slack down on pepper but there are some veggis out there that help with the salt taste and ya dont miss the salt! . Sour cream I just dont know about that sound sort of yeeky
@kayrod2 (1304)
Not sure what to do there. I like a sweet soup. Do you like a bit of curry? Maybe a little pinch will help. I use an organic salt called herbamere that i add to lots of things. Im not sure of the sour cream, but it could work. Or maybe a swirl of thickened cream added once served. Best wishes to you
@Modestah (11192)
hello mstickle, I know if it is too much salt that is the problem you can add a potato to the broth and it will draw out the salt - but as you said that is not the problem. If the broth is too acidic you can add a carrot or two to draw out that trouble....I am wondering if this will also work for the sweetness. you could also try a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and perhaps some sea salt to counteract the sweet flavor.
@charms88 (7543)
Hi grinny. What about using some organic ingredients instead of the regular one. There are organic salts, peppers and even broth available nowadays. I don't know about the place you're living in. But organic products are a little higher. I started buying organic products this early January.