Do you consider beauty contest or beauty pagents to be harmful ?

How do you feel on little one's being entered into beauty contest or beaut contest ? Have you ever entered one of your children in one of these ? Would you , why or why not ?
@teison2 (5924)
• Norway
I consider pagents for children to be harmful. They do not need the focus on looks and performance talents at a young age. Why do they have to compete? Would it not be better to just get together and get along? With noone winning and noone loosing? They will have enough competition soon enough. Looks get to be all-important soon enough. No child of mine would ever enter a beauty pagent. I understand that they get to practise being in from\nt of a croud, practice delivering, and posture, and behaviour, and loosing, and winning. I think this could be achieved in other ways. If that's the point I'd enroll them in a theater group or something like that.
You have brought up some really good points about looks being all to important and about having to compete with others . Thank you for your response .
For some kids, these pagents can be real self esteem builders, especially when they win. As far as the income generated from a pagent, that's up for debate. One mom that I know spent over $400 for a cute pagent dress and $195 for the entry fee. And, her daughter didn't even place in the top three. It works for some kids. And not for others. If you've got the money and don't mind spending it, then why not.
I have not entered my daughter in beauty contests, simply because it is not something she is interested in. I think that if the day ever came that her interest would change, then I think I would remind her of what true beauty really is. It isn't the outer, but the inner. I have seen girls that are really beautiful, but the minute the open their mouth, their true self is reveiled and it is not pretty at all. It is very important that girls are taught that beauty is skin deep, what is in the HEART is what is important!!!
@cdparazo (5769)
I have nothing against beauty contest. I have never entered my child to a beauty contest for the simple reason that she doesn't want to enter. A child should not be force to enter such kind of competition unless the child really want to.
@tredale (1313)
Yes I do think that beauty pagents can be harmful and no have never entered any of my children. A friend of mine did once and ended up having to raise $1000 for her daughter to move on in the round and yes she put it up herself then the daughter moved to the next round and the same thing happen they couldnt find a the money and couldnt raise it the little girl was very sad. I think its too much pressure for children and most parents think there child should win. I wouldnt want to put myself or my children through this.
I don't see anything wrong with this as long as the parents are watching there children . I thnk they are cute when you see them and if they want to do this then it can make them a lot of money . If it stresses the child out then I don't think you should do it . I don't have any kids yet but if I did and I wanted to put them in a contest then I would and woudlnt' see anythign wrong with it . This could be a way for them to make some extra money and have fun and meet lots of new people and to realize that in life you dont' alwasy win and they would get to see a lot of the world .
@KissThis (3008)
I don't think that I consider beauty pagents or contest harmful as long as it is something that the child wants to do and that they find fun. Its harmful when a parent is the reason why the child has entered a beauty pagent. There are some parents who just worry about winning and cause their child stress. As long as it is kept as a fun thing for the child to do I see nothing wrong with it. None of my children have any interest in being in a beauty pagent so I have no intentions of doing one.
@eden32 (3978)
I've entered my son in a "beautiful baby" contest and my daughter has entered a couple of competitions. She was 11 and 12 at the time, and it was definitely her choice to enter. I think if parents keep things in perspective; (that this is just an occasional thing we do for fun) it's not a big deal. If the (older) child wants to enter and is really into it, I think parents should support that the same way they'd support a child's interest in soccer or gymnastics. Some children seem drawn to the spotlight & really enjoy these contests. I know when I was a child I loved performing in plays at the small local theater and in dance recitals. If the child does not wish to do it though, and the parents are forcing the child that's an entirely different matter. I can remember girls in my dance class who would be sick with stage fright & nerves before recitals, who just had no interest in being there. I thought it was awful that the parents made them do it anyway.
Well said , thank you for your response .
@Modestah (11195)
we did allow ourselves to be talked into entering our eldest daughter when she was 17 mos old. They said, oh it is just for fun....oh okay. IT was awful. Our daughter won, but the attitudes of the other parents even for a baby contest was just inexcusable, and we have never and never plan to ever enter another such contest again.