Will you allow your child to Work Part Time while Studying

Student - A student working part time
There are so many working students. I could see most of them working in fast food restaurants, groceries, government offices and sometimes, in the faculty room or administration office of their school. If you were a parent, will you allow your child to become a working student? Yes? No? Why Yes? Why Not?
if i can still provide for my child and i think that he needs to study more, i won't allow him. i prefer that he concentrates more on his studies since he'll work after he graduates. work can still wait for him. but if he has a lot of free time and can balance his studies as well as likes to try some part-time work, i'd allow him. provided that his grades will not go down and suffer. i still prioritize education so i have to stick with that.
@mayenskie (1308)
I am not a parent yet but definitely in the future i won't let my children work even part time until they are of legal age, that is when they are at least 18. When they reach that age, they can decide whether they would like to take any part time jobs or not and just concentrate on their studies. When i was a student, my parents did not obliged me to work other than my grades.
@ryanphil01 (4187)
i presume this situation is addressed to parents whose kids are already taking up college. this depends solely on the capacity of the parents in supporting their kids at school. parents who do not have enough earnings to pay for their children's tuition fees and other miscellaneous expenses have all the reasons to allow their kids to work part time. this way the kids could help their parents sustain their needs during schooling. we cannot blame parents for allowing the kids to work and study at the same time. as i said, it's the only noble way for tee kids to finish their courses. likewise, these kids will learn how to become independent and responsible members of the society.
@jcvernz (477)
I do agree with your thoughts ryan.
it will be the better option for parents to allow their children to work their way through college if hte parnets are financially handicapped. this way, the children will still be able to pursue their dreams of finishing college and having a good paying job for themselves soon after.
@yamskee (830)
im still a student and i have more free time with my class schedule but my mom wont allow me to work part time. she told me to enjoy my college life because i wont have much time going out once i started working.
Oh you should appreciate your mom for that.
@sherrir101 (3671)
My step daughter worked all the way through high school and graduated with a 3.5 GPA. She worked as a waitress and in a pizza place. I have to say that she did rather well in both. I believe that a child should earn the extras that they want. It teaches them to become adults (my opinion). :-)
I agree. That could be a part of their training in life as people who would become real adults.
@melanie652 (2526)
We expected our kids to work part time from when they were 16 years old and up. We gave our kids an allowance when they were younger. As they got older and started wanting more money, we told them they needed to learn to work for it. We felt a part time job would help teach them responsibility and how to handle money. It worked out pretty well for all of us.
True, they will learn how to handle money and how to value it.
My Mother would never allow me to work during the summer until after I graduated high school and I pretty much did the same thing for my children while they were growing up. I think the kids will have plenty of time to get a job when they are older for now while they are in school I like to see them do things that are fund and be able to enjoy their summer vacation, which they will not be able to do once they graduate high school.
I see. Nice. Thanks.
If I were a parent I will allow my child to work part-time only if s/he makes sure that it doesn't affect his/her studies. I mean, studies should still be the top priority. If he/she can balance work and studies well, then good for him/her as it is valuable for when he would have to do two tasks as the same time in the future (or even multi-task). Also, it will make the son/daughter know the value of money. It's good to develop work ethics at such a young age as well.
@molusk (857)
So long as their work will not interfere with their studies, yes. I believe that students will be better off if they have work on the side. They can learn valuable things in actual work which they cannot learn from school. They would have a better insight in terms of actual employment upon graduating from school. However, if it will interfere in their being an achiever in school, I would definitely preclude them from working.
@bluishrose (2291)
I myself was a working student in college. It help me become responsible, independent, stronger, value money & got ready to face the real world. It made a positive output in me so i'll allow my future child to be a working student someday =)
When I am in the campus,I go out for work,at the part time.And when I got the first salary,I feel very proud.The working student is more mature than the others,they know the hard efforts in living a life.They will not waste money and work hard in their study. It is the cherish experience to them in their life and good for growing up.
@angela2006 (1846)
actually,I am just a child and I took part time in university.to be honest with you,I think it will not affect my study as long as I do a good balance between the part time job and study.on the contray,because part time spends us some time,then the time in studying will be less,thus we can work harder.
If I were a parent, I would let my kids work when they are studying. I worked when I studied too and I see nothing wrong with it. I was actually proud of the money I have earned and I used that money to maintain my daily expenses. I think it's good for kids to learn that it takes effort to earn money and it's good for them to learn the value of money in an early age so that they won't have too much problem with it in their later life.
It would depend on the child. Actually, both of my children worked part time while they were school. The rule was if their grades suffered then they would have to quit work. School always had to be first. Fortunately, both did pretty good.
@djmarion (4905)
if i can afford to send him/her to school they i wont allow him/her to be a working student. i already experienced that way and i dont want my kids to have the same experience.
@rtydata (80)
Yes, I would. Granted that she knows how to balance her time and priorities or that her grades don't suffer then I'm ok with it. It gives my child a sense of independence by earning on her own and it instills discipline as she needs to balance all her activities. She will also learn to be responsible as having a job needs commitment and a lot of responsibility will be given to her.
@tracy1985 (654)
yeah,if he is a college student,i think you should support him,because he is enough old to go out for working,but if he is in high school or even younger,you should tell him it is too young for him to do the part time job. Most of college student prefer to do some part time job during studying or summer vacation.it is good for them to grow up and accumulate the working experiences.you should face up the society before they graduate from the college,that they can find a better job in the future.
I worked as a student. My oldest daughter was lucky enough to have "co-op" which is a job in her field of study (veterinarian) through her last 2 years of high school and will continue to work there through college. I think that as long as the student can handle the juggling of both a job and school the student should be allowed to make their own money and start their own way of life without having to be dependent upon their parents for everything. I know it made me a stronger person and my daughter has faired very well through it all. I understand it's not for everyone but I think as long as the student's grades remain acceptable then they should work if they want.
@KissThis (3008)
I will leave the decision up to my child whether or not they will work while they are going to school. I will explain to my child that car insurance is an extra that I will not be responsible for paying. As well a cell phone bill. I don't think that a child working a job while they are in school will hurt them. I worked a full time job while I was in school and did just fine.
@abccba (1916)
• Denmark
well, i don't have any childrens, but when i was studying i had a part time job myself, else i wouldn't have any enough money to other things than food! So if i don't have enough money to give my child money, while he/she is studying, i would allow it..