Medical Science changes so fast. How can we know what's good for us?

@kbkbooks (7028)
Many years ago, it was thought that is was good to bleed a person using leeches to restore them to health. Now we change their blood with transfusions. However, much more extensive testing is done on the blood than use to be done. Years ago, science though penicillin was the be all end all drug to cure illness. Now we know the body can develop immunity to medicines, not just to illness. Sometimes the changes are very fast. When I had my first child in 1991, the nurses told me to lie him on his side to sleep. In 1992, my second son was born and they told me always to let my baby sleep on his stomach. Now science swears by letting a baby sleep only on it's tummy. This is currently the way that is most advocated to prevent crib death. The daily dosage of vitamins, minerals, and food groups changes regularly as science is continually researching our health and what is best. How is a person to know what is really best?
@Sherry12 (2475)
I've been wondering the same thing. It really scares me with some of the new medicines that they are making. I wonder if they've been tested enough to know what the long term effects will be. And, they keep coming up with so many different things. I was taking one medicine that I was supposed to take first thing in the morning, no mention of eating first. Then all of a sudden there is a warning on it, to only take with food or milk.
@kbkbooks (7028)
My husband has one that says do not take with GRAPEFRUIT or grapefruit juice. WTF? Also did you know that Viagra was actually for something else other than erectile disfunction? I think if was for something about the heart. Imagine the surprise of the first guy who tried it for that? LMAO!!