Scammers, when will the public learn?

I'm sitting here with tv on and their talking about scams even in the news! I can't help but wonder what has become of this world? Have all of these horrible people been around all the time and we didn't realize it? Have there always been people who are out to hurt others by stealing from them in ridiculous ways? Now their scamming people with the promise of free puppies and to me that's the height of ridiculousness. I can't believe people will just hand money over for something they don't have in their hands. Can you help me understand why people will do that? Personally my money and I are very hard to be parted...lol...
People are stupid, that's all there is too it. It doesn't matter how many warnings there are, they still buy into stupid things. Like inheritance emails, or people asking for money so that they can come to the United States, or things like that. Con artists have been around forever, and technology is making it easier than ever for them to trick people. Thousands upon thousands at their disposal, and they don't even have to trick them face to face. And they don't have to feel as guilty, cause they never know the people that they are tricking. The worst scam, in my opinion, are people who trick others into believing that they are pregnant and that the couple will get to adopt their baby. These couple shell out thousands of dollars to these people (and then spend even more preparing for the baby) as well as get their hopes up that they will have a baby in their lives. Some go as far as to tell them that they're in labor, and then the person just disappears. Some people just have no heart.
@tigertang (1750)
I think you hit the nail on the head. People are stupid, greedy and generally quite incapable of rational thought. Ok, I do admit that there are people who are exceedingly vulnerable such as families of people in the military but by and large people who fall for get rich scams are stupid and greedy. Nigeria has developed a rather unsavoury reputation for being scam capital of the world because people are simply too desparate to get into some quick wealth scheme. I know quite a few scam artist and I think they're quite celever as long as you don't get involved with their financial dealings. One of the best con-men I know has an incredible ability to somehow get people to believe that they are smarter than him and before you know it, people are bending over backwards to get themselves conned by this man. One of them invested S$10,000 (About US$7,000) into his long running scam in the belief that he's get himself a S$16,000 (US$10,000) a month job. The best part is the guy doing the investing is from the finance industry - really what makes you think a guy will be able to pay you such a salary when he needs you to invest in his opperation for alot less money - but there you have it.
The whole Nigerian thing makes my head spin! What ARE those people doing? I almost fell for one one time and got as far as getting the womans personal information which immediately when to the proper channels here in the US and needless to say she is scamming no more. As for the people who prey on couples who want babies I think they are the worse. Not only are they losing money but their giving their hearts away and for nothing. I feel worse for them than people who lose money on a get rich quick scheme.
@tigertang (1750)
I used to think it was quite ammusing to get emails from scam artist but afer a while it became rather boring. I mean, sooner or later it was always the same thing. Help me, bo-ho, I'm the son/daugher of some multi-billionaire ex-dictator and have billions to give you if only offered me a couple of thousand. But to be fair to the Nigerians, the only reason why they are in the scam is because there's a market for it. Personally I think if people are greedy, they deserve to get conned. Like you I think the guys who prey on something other than greed are the worst - they should be shot for making people give their hearts and hope of something that will probably never happen and that is well and truely unethnical.
@tredale (1313)
One is born every minute the scammer and the scammed. Its sad but true. Gullible are some people, when I was younger I was scammed once bitten twice shy. Never again I work to hard for my money. It never ceases to amaze me either that people will fall for the same sort of scam time after time even with it been plastered all over the tv.
it is really sad that some people never lsiten to warnings. you will exhaust all efforts to make them understand yet sitll fail to see. i have been scammed many times in my life, too, but these are people who came to me in the guise of friends in need of money to finance their businesses. that they will pay me back as soon as they take off and the business gets earning good. well, hardly will they ever remember about paying the amount borrowed even if the business is already doing well.
@mugzy528 (801)
Well they sure wont get my Money. My Dads friend won the Swedish Lottery and Paid 4,000 dollars to get her Money..lol As soon as he told me I was like she Got Scammed and he went and told her she should have never Paid for winning something but she said oh they will send me my Money. Needless to say she never seen a dime. Theses scammers allways pray on the elderly people and now they are Praying on Our Military Familys also. Calling them and telling them there son or daughter has been Injured an they need social security number so the can Fix him...GRRR I HAT SCAMMERS AND SPAMMERS Have a Great Day/Night.
Imagine that? If I had $4,000 I wouldn't send it to anyone! I hope the military families don't fall for those scams and are smart enough to check the information out.
@chertsy (3804)
I think the worst scam I have heard and read about is people saying that they belong to the Red Cross. They are calling families of deloyed soliders and telling them that there family wounded and that they need information before the doctor can do anything. Like the soliders social security number and other personal information about the solider. How sick is that playing on military families by 1. telling them that there solider is hurt. 2. ripping them off. Luckily, so far only one family was ripped off. Military families have been informed that the Red Cross will not contact the family, only the military will. I still think it's sick that people are actually doing this.
That really does suk! Preying on the family of our military men is sinking very low.
@chertsy (3804)
Luckily this was caught quick. There are other scams out towards military families, but families should be told not to give out social security numbers.
@winky73 (1396)
Oh believe me....scamms have been around for a long time.Today it's just easier to reach people in so may differnt ways....giving crooks more oportunities then ever. I honestly don't know why people would still fall for things like that.....but I guess the saying "there is a sucker born every minute" must be true.....because you hear all the time where people have lost large amounts of money....simply by being to trusting. I mean sure...I try to see the good in everyone....but if something looks to good to be true...well it most likely is.
People believe in the simplest saying yet they don't believe that if it's too good to be true it most likely isn't? Where are their minds?
@winky73 (1396)
For some it must be the possibility of making large amounts of money or getting something for free...I mean it's really no different than playing the lottery.The thought of $1 bringing millions in return is a nice one....but they don't seem to realize that the odds are against them and scamms work the same way. People will always believe what they want and some never learn.I guess you and I are just not much on taking risks like that or maybe it's because we learned our lessons well. One being that life is never free and that you have to work hard for the things(including money)you have.
@deebomb (15322)
There is a saying that a fool and his money is soon parted. I guess it's true. As long as people want to get something for notheing there will be people out there selling it to them. There have always been con men around too. People just want too much with out haveing to work for it.
As we sit here typing away for a few dollars! I guess people get what they deserve don't they?
@kgwat70 (13396)
It is hard to believe anyone would fall for such scams. There are all sorts of scams out there and many I believe are plain obvious and do not need headline news to tell me they are scams. There is no way that I am going to fall for anymore scams online. I fell for one on a dating website many years ago and learned my lesson then and do not take any chances now online. I go by the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true."
scammers had been with us since time immemorial. they used to be called swindlers, hooters, blackmailers and gold diggers. they used to be facing charges in court in offenses like swindling, estafa and libel. nowadays, we call them scammers, spammers and hackers. people hand their money over because, these people who are in the art of fooling others putting into practice, are giving away very juicy offers. for a puppy which regularly sells for a thousand dollars, they will say it is available for only a hundred if they will give a downpayment of ten dollars only. isn't this really a juicy offer to bite? my children have encountered one who said that there were some celfones for auction. they only need to give the equivalent of twelve dollars as downpayment. the money will be used to finance the auction so they will get the items. then only 88 dollars more will be collected upon delivery for the latest model of a nokia cellphone. more than ten people gave downpayments right there and then despite having been forwarned that it is not true. it was a hoax of course. the man never showed his face in that office again.
@dlkuku (1936)
I know someone who fell for the Nigerian email scam, and no matter how much we tried to tell him he was insistant that he was going to get all this money. I even gave him web sites to look it up proving it was a scam, and he still didn't believe. He eventually found out the hard way. I just couldn't believe that someone could be so stupid to fall for something like that. As for myself, I am skeptical of everything, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.
i believe it was p.t. barnum who said "there's a sucker born every minute". some people are looking to get rich quick. some allow their kindness to be taken advantage of, and some, well, probably just ain't too smart. if you'd like the rest of the answers to this question, send me $5 US (cash only) and i'll send you the answer to "life, the universe and everything". lol
@babostwick (2037)
I look at them and if I don't know who they are, I never bother with them. I think it's ridiculous that scammers are out there. It's simple, they want people's money and that's all there is to it. I wonder if they can be sued or have been.