Sausage with peppers and onions

@sunshine4 (8709)
This is probably a lame question, but here it goes. We are having some friends over for a party tomorrow night and I have bought some sausage to cook on the grill. I don't eat them with peppers and onions, but I know that others do. How do I cook the peppers and onions? Is that something I can do ahead of time like in a crockpot or will they get too mushy? help!
Well, I don't have any idea, and it's too late anyway....sounds like you got an answer here! Your dinner sounds yummy!
@sunshine4 (8709)
I actually did get a lot of ideas. The party is tonight, so I have to decide which way to do them.
i would suggest spating some foil with cooking spray and wrapping them up tightly and plac them on the grill off to the side where they will get hot oan steam cook but not burn or if you have an upper shelf place them there
@sunshine4 (8709)
Thanks, sounds like the grill will be easy. And if they do burn it can be my husbands fault:) since he is the griller
@irishmist (3820)
I take the onions & peppers, and a little olive oil, black pepper, toss together, and wrap in foil. I put it on the grill a little before the sausage goes on the grill. I also like to add mushroom, which can be done seperate. I also like to offer tomato sauce & mozzerella cheese, as some people like this.
@sunshine4 (8709)
That is a great idea to offer tomato sauce and cheese. I will have to go out and get that too. I might lean toward trying the grill thing tonight.
@aretha (2539)
we love sausage on the grill but i hate peppers and onions but my hubby loves them. sometimes we will do them on the grill but normally i will do them in a electric fry pan. i spray the pan with pam cooking spray and just fry them up for not even 10 minutes. my hubby says they turn out the best that way. his mom does them in the crockpot and we have done them on the grill but he likes them fried up in the electric fry pan. good luck and have fun
@sunshine4 (8709)
Thanks aretha. I think that this sounds like an easy way to do this:)
@SaraCate (184)
Sunshine, I would do it as follows: Slice/shop your peppers and onions as you choose - I'd suggest medium-sized chunks. Heat a skillet...I'd say to med-high, add a little oil of your choice (we usually use olive), add the veg. Saute undtil tender - I add some water after the oil, as we try to watch our fat, but you could use all oil if you wish. It shouldn't take much more than 5-7 minutes to get your vegetables tender. Hope this helps, ~Sara
@sunshine4 (8709)
Sara~ sounds easy enough. I shouldn't freak out about things like this! Thanks for the help.
@pallidyne (858)
I'd actually cook them on the grill. They will get a lil mushy but essentially just brown them. I do veggies like these all the time with other meats when we have several people to grill with/for. Course we usually try to outdo the previous cookout with how many different types of meat we have.
@sunshine4 (8709)
I am afraid that they will get too mushy if on the grill. Do I add oil or butter or anything with them if I do them on the grill?