What do you expect from your work?

Guangzhou, China
We always expect so much from our work, such as promotion, high salary, vacation, bonus... Right now I just have a little bit expection. I hope we can have five days to work every week. Right now we have to go to work in Saturday morning till noon. Actually we have been in the office for 3 hours on Saturday. Usually there are less calls and less work to do. I feel quite bored to go there on Saturday. Now many companies already have five days to work everyday. It's just a waste to go to work on Saturday. The energy is charged, but actually no more work to be done. I can't even sleep very late at Friday night and I have to wake up early next day to work. I hope I can have the normal days off from Saturday and Sunday. Then I can at least spend more time with my little child. If this wish can come true, I don't have any expections. Even it's OK there is no promotion and high salary. All I need is the family time on Saturday and Sunday.
Hi youless! If you ask a workaholic i would say i like wo9rking 7 days a week. I feel lost witthout work. I want my work to pay me more and more so tthat i can live in comfort.
You do enjoy your work. Earning lots of money is a good purpose. Thanks for your reply.
@breepeace (3027)
I agree. It's my biggest stipulation when I take a new job that I am not required to work weekends. I worked Saturdays and Sundays for years and found it really messed up my week. Bonuses are nice, but they are just a bonus. I need a decent starting salary more than the promise of a bonus, because you can't always count on them. If you have a less than stellar period, and you don't make a quota of some sort then there's no bonus so there's no point in counting on it. I wish more jobs here gave you vacation in the first year. It's very difficult to work for a solid year before you get downtime. I think a lot of North American employers would actually be more empowered if they gave their employees vacation time within that first year, because employees can burn out really quickly without their R&R time. I don't get paid vacation this year, but I'm still taking vacation even though I won't get paid for it so I have to save money. There's a lot of times I get burned out, and just quit so I can get my vacation pay and find something else while I live off it. If companies weren't so cheap and took an avid interest in the people working for them to find out what they need and would like, I think employee loyalty and morale would skyrocket. Everyone likes to feel appreciated.
Work is important, but sometimes have personal time to relax is also necessary. Having a vacation will have you inspiration when you go to work. You will feel much more energetic.
ohh that's sad you have to work on saturday's, even though it's only for a half day! i work 5 days a week, from 8am-5pm. right now all i want from my work is for my boss to give me more challenging tasks and for my team mates to co-operate and do their job properly so that we could all work as a team successfully. i also hope to get a higher increment in my salary and of courser we all want bonus too haha...anyway, i hope that your company will implement a 5-day work week, hopefully! ^_^
It sounds great that you work five days a week. I hope your dreams at work can come true, too. Thanks for your reply and have a good day!
@obukohwo (302)
• Nigeria
I hope your wish comes through. But that is how it is most of the times, you do not expect everything to be thesame all the time at work some times there is bound to be some little shift from the way they operate.
Thanks for your response.
@1qazxsw2 (512)
Dear friend..you are in the same boat as I am..but I work alternate Sat..and I use it to finish all my low priority paperworks....and I don't really mind the work unless I have to extend the hours into the late afternoon if something crops up...
When I was single, maybe without Saturday is OK, but it's totally different when I have a family now. I especially want to share some time with my little child.
@pallidyne (858)
I feel your pain somewhat. I work in the IT Field here in the US. As we were short staffed when I started there was a lot of weekend work. I worked 3000+ hours that first year. Now things are more ideal. I still work some weekends but they are few and far between. I usually only work 40 hours (8 hours/5 days/week) a good chunk on the time and that makes me happy. As far as money, the fact I can make my house payment, pay my bills and still have some left over tells me I am making enough for now. (Could always use more, but who can't?)
I understand that working in the IT field sometimes can be very busy at work. My husband is a programmer, so sometimes he'll be busy.