Is it okay if the Church involves itself with Politics

They say that there should be a separation of the church and the state. Do you agree that the church shouldn't interfere with goverment affairs or is there really nothing wrong if it involves itself in politics?
@pallidyne (858)
I agree to some level-- That Churches should not involve themselves in Politics, and that Governments should not interfere with Chrurches. That being said, I am wholeheartedly against many humanists attempts at completely removing any semblance of religeon from any state institution. For instance, when I graduated High School, I was asked to speak. I received some serious negative attention to the point of some folks threatening my diploma because I spoke of God and my religeous beliefs at the time. A woman in Kittaning, PA was suspended from work as a public school teacher because she wore a necklace with a cross. THAT is unjust. We cannot create societies that are intolerant of harmless religeous expression simply because we want to keep the state and church so far apart that you check your beliefs at the door of any public building.
@mac1946 (1602)
• Calgary, Alberta
There should be complete and total seperation of church and religion. I was brought up in a bible belt sociaty that restriked when you could work,when you had to close stores,and theaters. the streets had to be black and you could not have anything open on a sunday. In my province,we have just about gotten rid of that stupidity and we are now a prosperous province. The unfortunate part is,that there is no way to get a realy good honest government,whether the politition is religious or not. Most wars are started and fought over religious beliefs and if you listen to the polititions,they are always saying how much they believe in the bible,so seperate them and we can see if that will help stop some of the wars we have. Just my opinion. Thank you for the subject.
In my opinion there will never truly be a seperation between chruch and state. You also have to consider that the church is made up on people and people are political beingings. Our country voted in free religion and free to vote in whom we want to so we cannot seperate the two. I do not like that the leaders of certain religions try to persuade their congraduation to vote a certain way. That in my opinion should be banned, but there you go stopping on the freedom of speech. I feel we are in a catch 22 with this issue.
@zandi458 (27952)
No I don't agree if the church involves itself in politics. Politics are dirty and we do not want the church to be tarnished by all the slanders and character assasination normally practiced by those politicians seeking for a mandate.
@Willowlady (10666)
That phrase was said in someones speech and then it was perverted to become mainstream. I think that it should all be included. Our country was founded by religious men and it was a good thing. We have slowly let the good go and now we are reaping what rottenly has been sown. Cannot say we are happy with the way things are going. So time to include beliefs in the practice of ruling and respresenting the people.
@derek_a (10902)
I feel the church should go about church business and the government should go about political business. Although sometimes, the government here in the UK interferes with religious affairs, so I guess the church tends to interfere with political matters.
• New Zealand
yes the church should be about religion nothing else thats the way its suppose to be. It shouldnt interfere with anything else or in anyones life unless asked.
@EvanHunter (4028)
Well too often church does get involved in politics and sometimes it turns out for the worse. Our constitution is suppose to provide a clear seperation between church and state but thats not always the case. I think things of the church should be left outside of politics. I dont want a religious leader running our country. They are suppose to be running our churches and keep politicians out of church. I want a good citizen and statesman to be a leader, now if only we could find one in politics.
@kawaii24 (520)
yes, church shouldnt interfere with politics...unfortunately, here at the philippines, church always interefere with the government which I think is wrong. They should guide the people to God and not meddle with intrigues and politics
No I do not think that church should involve in politics. Politics and religion is different thing. One is 100% impure and one is 100% pure. Diluation of both is not fare. Church should be involved in teaching the mankind only. Should be busy in service only. Politics is necessary to run the country. Though in politics good and bad people are always there, no matter, we have right to change these people if we do not find them suitable. Anybody can be wrong for 4-5 years only. If church involves in polotics, there will be conflict of opinions. As politics and religion has different kind of opinions on many matters. Should work separately without interfearing each others.
I think all the religious institutions should keep themselves away from poltics. There is no direct link between these two. The link between these two may create the problems. Recently it happened in my country also. For few days it created tension in the mind of the people. So, its always better if religious institutions keep themselves away from poltics.
@Amstardam (1348)
if the government wants complete separation of church and state then they need to do it and stop griping about it! First of all, marriage is a religious institution and should be done away with and replaced with civil unions etc.
Absolutely.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
It is always a good idea to keep those two separated because they do not agree with everything all the time. That would be really bad for the country if they have those two go at it like that.
The church should not get involved in governmental affairs b/c what if the government should turn around and decides to legislate what goes on in the church, how you the church community like that? I think people both in and out of the church, should consider the full potential of having the two intertwined. I can almost guarantee you there would be some cry baby church officals, if the govt. began legislating church affairs. So, no, I think the two are seperate for a reason and thus should remain so.
@archer1811 (1099)
Hi! in my opinion i dont agree with them involving to the politics, i a study in the catholic shool and all the priest and nuns in my school dont support politics all their purpose was to make our nation in one no politics and no other congregation at all, they promote peace and unity, but there are other church congregation that getting themselves in politics, they can help build the nation into a better nation without taking to politics.
@sizzle3000 (3040)
I really am torn on this subject. I do not have a problem with prayer in schools. I think that everyone prays in one way or another so a moment of silence is not a bad thing and no body is going to die if they do it. I do not see a problem with the pledge of allegiance to the flag having god in it. I think that the church should have a say in a lot of decisions that our government makes. The people that we elect have there own religon that they take with them when they enter office so in a way church does play a part in government. There is no way to actually remove it.
The church (or organized religion) is nothing more than a politcally party. Membership, money, greed, lies.
@asmurthy (2464)
The Church and the State are both perfect societies, that is to say, each essentially aiming at a common good commensurate with the need of mankind at large and ultimate in a generic kind of life, and each juridically competent to provide all the necessary and sufficient means thereto. The State is ethically demonstrated to be such, and the Church has a like demonstration from the theology of Christian Revelation. By reason of coexistence on the earth, community of subjects, and a need in common of some of the same means of activity, it is inevitable that they should have mutual relations in the juridical order.