Need to get rid of old furniture?

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
It seems that my backyard is now the dumping ground for our landlord when he can not get rid of old or broken furniture. I feel like we are a dump now so I am inviting everyone else to feel free to use our backyard in this way. There are old couches, chairs, broken tables and dressers and many other miscellaneous things that now have a home in our back yard. I have been getting rid of as much as I can but it is not my job to call and bring the things out for special pick up. I have only been bring out things I know that the garbage man will take. I was sitting outside about a half hour ago and a moving truck pulls up. I was hoping it was to take away the crap that is already in the back but no they came to drop off more trash. One of the guys who works for the land lord tells me that they can not get anyone to take it all to the dump and that special pick up will not make any more trips here. Now what kind of bull is that ? I left a not so nice message for the landlord telling them that it is now becoming a health hazard but I doubt I will hear back about it.
@charms88 (7546)
Awww razcal. I can understand your sentiment. I will be having a heart attack if I saw my backyard like that. I just can't stand seeing anything messy. It tend to have this effect of making my head ached everyday. Why not talk to your landlord gently and plan out ways to remove those old furnitures. We have some "unofficial" garbage trash collectors roaming around here everyday. They used cart that's make of wood to collect old bottles, cartons, empty plastic and anything they can re-sell to junk shop. I can hand out to them all the old and broken stuff that I don't need anymore.
@razcal2267 (15577)
They were dropping things off and then removing it with in a short period of time so we did not bother to call and ask what was going on. Then all of a sudden the pick ups stopped. We have tried to call the landlord but he will return our calls. I did get an answer yesterday from one of the guys that works for him saying that Special Pick Up (the town trucks that take the larger things the garbage men cant lift) would not come anymore and that the moving van people would not take the stuff to the actual dump even if paid more. I did tell him how unfair it was and then the neighbor started to yell about it being not only an eye sore but a health hazard. So we shall see if that gets their butt in gear.
@charms88 (7546)
If the landlord didn't bother to do something about it, I suggest you report this to the local authority or the police. Considering that its health hazard.
@razcal2267 (15577)
The police will not do anything. It is the health department that takes care of issues like this but even if I wanted to file a complaint today I can not as they are not open again until Monday at 8 am.
@brokentia (10396)
There should be a city office that you can call to make the landlord clean it up. There are ordinances made for this type of thing. And if you are renting there...what allows that landlord to be allowed to use the backyard that you are also renting along with the house as a dumping ground? I would be contacting some city or county office asking them to point me in the right direction to have this situation taken care of. It is not your mess to have to worry about cleaning up or look at! If you make those phone calls. I would love to hear about them. :) Best of luck!
@razcal2267 (15577)
One of my house mates has already called the health department and the neighbor was yelling at them yesterday that he was going to so I am giving it till Wednesday to see if they will start getting rid of the stuff again before I make the call myself.
@brokentia (10396)
Well, I hope that the landlord does! Cause if not, then you can call and the landlord will not know it was you. :)
@razcal2267 (15577)
Honestly, I really do not care if he does know that it was me.
@villageanne (8579)
Contact your local Health Dept and file a claim. You can do this and they are not allowed to tell who did it. Also contact the Dept on Natural Resources. It is against the law to have an open dump on the property. They will fine the landlord and give him so many days to remove it. They will then come back and inspect th property to verify that it has been cleaned up. That should solve the problem for you. There are laws against such things and that is not much of a landlord that you have. Good luck to you
@razcal2267 (15577)
One of my house mates got fed up yesterday after calling and not getting any answers that she filed a complaint with the health department. I am giving them till Wednesday to start getting rid of the stuff again before I call myself. For awhile it really was just drop off point. They would drop it off and with in a few days it would be gone but after the "delivery" before this all that stopped.
I may be wrong but I think they fine them and give them 30 days to clean it up. So you may want to contact the health Dept sooner than later.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I hear you, I do, but since my house mate already made a call I will give them the benefit of the doubt sine I spoke to one of the workers and he does know that it really needs to be moved ASAP.
@KissThis (3008)
Is there anything that someone else might be able to use? If there is you could call Goodwill or Salvation Army to come pick the stuff up for donation. Your landlord really should be taking this stuff over to the city landfill himself instead of dumping it in your back yard. Its pitiful that he treats you this way.
@razcal2267 (15577)
We have let the neighbors and whoever they have told go through all the stuff. What is left now is pure trash so Goodwill and Salvation Army are out of the question.
You should try to talk to the landlord face-to-face so that you could explain better. Nobody would rent a house with trash in their backyard. I know it's hard to be nice to those people because people like that are very aggorant.
@razcal2267 (15577)
When I started renting it did not look like this. You are right about no one would rent when it does look the way that it does now but two of us have been here ten years and the other one four years and this has never happened before.
We live in a trailer park. The park was once very well kept. Now there are dilapitated trailers dotting the park. The owner has removed a few, but the skeletal remains are dragged to the remote sides of the park but still within view from the roadway. We have grandkids that are curious and although we have warned them not to venture around these areas, I am afraid that their curiosity will get the best of them and one of them will get hurt. It is the responsibility of the owner to make the living areas he owns and rents safe for the renters.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I hear ya about the kids. They seem to have a knack for getting into anything and everything they are not supposed to. I guess he thinks we can see it and know not to mess with it so it is safe but it is starting to smell and that is where the health issue comes in.
@tredale (1313)
This is so bad, I wonder if the heath department or fire department couldnt help you out. You would think is also a fire risk. We had a landlord once that use to let himself in our back yard and dump his trees and stuff from his house the fire department said it was a fire risk and we coped the fine. We moved out just after this but it made me as mad as hell. I hope all works out for you. Moving is also a real pain.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Speaking of fire, my dad said last night that we should just make a bonfire. He even offered to bring me marshmallows. LOL. I do not plan on moving, not yet anyway.
@sunshinecup (7882)
I know you were already given the tip to call the health dept. I would just like to add the more calls they receive the better, so I would ask the neighbors to call as well. This may not only get the mess cleaned up, but prevent it from happening again. One or two calls, sometimes just isn't enought, more urgent jobs will come first. So the more calls, the more urgent this will become to them.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Thank you for the advice. I am already on that my parents said they are going to call along with, my house mates sister and mother and the four neighbors that I spoke.
@meljessxena (2319)
are you going through a real estate agent or anyone like that? because if so get onto them and they will do something about it. i cant believe your landlord would do something like this to you. the health department needs to be contacted to i think, especially coming a hazard to you and others. goodluck with it
@razcal2267 (15577)
This is an apartment I have been living in for ten years. No, I did not go through a real estate agent. There health department was contacted, maybe even twice so I am waiting a few days to see if any action will be taken before I make a call myself.
• Marion, Kansas
If some of it can be patched up, you should sell it, or give it to Goodwill. Barring that, you need to contact the city code enforcement officer. They call them different things different places. The upholstered things probably are ruined from being outside. The city will haul stuff away around here, then bill the owner. I hope they get your ratty landlord. I am sorry you are having to put up with that. You should be able to use and enjoy your own back yard.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Honestly I did think about selling the stuff that I could but I feel much better giving away the stuff to those who really need it. The city was picking the stuff up for awhile but it seems that the landlord has made the Special Pick Up people angry because they are now saying that the will not come collect it anymore.
@TerryZ (22146)
I might just take you up on that one.LOL Thats sad you have to put up with that. I would be screaming my lungs out to them. Im not planning on leaving any of my furniture Im not taking because its not right for them to clean it up. And thats why your landlord has to clean up what people are leaving left behind. Im just putting mine out to the trash. Hey maybe you can start putting a couple of things each week on the trash. See if they take it.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Oh, that is right you are moving. I forgot that. I really would not care so much if it were a few things but someone could really furnish a large apartment with the stuff that is not trashed. I have been bringing that stuff out to the curb myself because I know that there are people that need and want the stuff.
@lillake (1635)
Try freecycle. http://freecycle.com You can list all of the stuff and people who want it will come and take it away.
@lillake (1635)
Sorry, I meant www.freecycle.org/
@emeraldisle (13158)
You could check with freecycle.org to see if there is a branch in your area. You could post things up there and if people want them they would come and take them. It's an idea anyway for you. Other then that I think you should contact HUD or who ever is in charge of regulating housing in your area and filing a complaint. They might do something but it might take time.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I have been giving all the things that can be saved or do not need repair to all the neighbors that thought we were having a garage sale. We flat out told them that the landlord thinks all the stuff is trash so please take anything you want and can use. I told a few neighbors yesterday that we got more stuff, as all the stuff that was left was trash.