Yikes...Now There's A Recall Of Ground Hamburger--E. Coil warning

@pyewacket (44036)
Just when you thought all this business with recalls was over with, especially with pet foods, now there's a massive recall of ground beef, and a lot has to do with Tyson type ground beef products and the beef products sold at Walmart: To Quote: " Tyson Meets on Friday recalled more than 40,000 pounds of ground beef shipped to Wal-mart in 12 states after samples tested at a Sherman, Texas, plant showed signs of E. coli contamination. This link gives a massive listing of the beef being recalled: http://www.nationalpetfoundation.com/foods/beef.html And this is from the Tyson website itself--it does say that the main concern is for people who still might have the frozen patties after the so-called expiration dates involved...but one batch has an expiration date of June 13th. http://www.tyson.com/Corporate/PressRoom/ViewArticle.aspx?id=2742 The first "release" of this news was supposedly around March ...gee same time as those pet food recalls http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_014_2007_Release/index.asp I mention all this since I'm aware that a lot of MyLotters do shop at Walmart Crying out loud....is any of our food safe anymore??
@howard96h (11658)
• New York, New York
Is it at all possible that maybe some sick person/group is behind all of these E. Coli contaminations? Too many have been happpening and you know how long it takes the government to get off their butts to do anything positive.
@pyewacket (44036)
Of course I know how long it takes the government..like when a massive group of people get sick or worse yet die from something like this
@howard96h (11658)
• New York, New York
Yea, let one of Bush's daughters eat an Ecoli burger and get sick and see how fast he moves.
@ma_belle (1357)
wow, I can't believe this. Actually there was local beef recall here in Michigan a few weeks ago. I can't believe its national now. when will this stop?
@pyewacket (44036)
Who knows when?? It seems too much of the food products have contamination
Great, more ways for people to die. They need to make sure consumer products are safe to use.
@pyewacket (44036)
They seem to find out about all this after the fact...
@lauriefnp (5112)
Thanks for posting this. It's the first I've heard of this latest recall. Luckily my state hasn't been affected (yet!), and I don't buy frozen beef patties. But it could just as easily be anything that any one of us uses. It really is getting scary. You never know when it's going to turn up next. It kind of makes you paranoid, doesn't it?
@pyewacket (44036)
Thing is that maybe you've seen this in stores--the prepacked "fresh" beef patties alongside the ground beef...those are frozen patties just thawed out--uh, yup--does make one paranoid
@brendalee (6083)
I was just reading about this newest recall. Its kind of scary. So far my state hasn't been affected but we all know how the list tends to grow.
@pyewacket (44036)
It's true....look how the list continued to grow with the pet food recalls--
When I read about this yesterday I immediately checked to see if my state was affected. It wasn't, and I didn't even have any Tyson meat in my fridge, but I guess I just wanted to make sure. I always want to make sure my mom or sister didn't buy any of the affected meat.
@pyewacket (44036)
Found another link...here are the states affected so far--to quote from the article ""The recalled products were sent to Wal-Mart stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas." http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=6633932
Now why did you do that? Now they are recalling meat in MY state. LOL Like you had a hand in it or something. : ) I'm really glad I don't use that kind of meat, but I imagine a lot of people are really upset -and possibly sick.
@pyewacket (44036)
Oops--heheh sorry about that....one person replied here though that they had a recall of beef in his state of Michigan--and that's not even one of the states listed....
My goodness!! I guess I need to go check my meat! This is insane I tell you!!! Thanks so much for the information!
Luckily I haven't bought any meat after the first. I should be okay :)
@pyewacket (44036)
Well when you think of it...it's not just meats anymore to worry about...even our produce can be tainted
Oh I know but I try not to think about it or I'll just stop eating everything LOL :)
@Debs_place (10525)
The amount of food getting recalled is just ridiculous. There must be a better way. Here is a way that we can get rich - we need to come up with a home test kit. This way people can test their foods themselves and not wait for the FDA to announce if it is safe. But how long is the list that must be tested for...what ingredients? Obviously e-coli!
@pyewacket (44036)
Okay I'm with you--that would be brilliant to do a home test for food to see if it's safe--the way things are going we just might need some kind of home kit
We also need to test the food we are feeding our pets.
@morgandrake (2140)
I never thought I would be happy about the wife's diet, but surprise I am. Months ago, we switched to a fish and chicken diet--beef and pork causes her to have intestinal pain. We didn't have to worry about it much, though I did wonder if I hadn't poisoned myself with fast food burger earlier in the day. :)
@pyewacket (44036)
Well I am a beef eater, though you won't see me rushing to fast foods places--just in general--LOL
I am a poor college kid--it is what I can afford. :(
@sedel1027 (17854)
What I find absolutely crazy about all this is that people still continue to buy beef and other meat products from places that do not sell organic foods. Has there every been a recall of organic beef, free range chickens, or non-processed food - nope. Maybe we as consumers need to wise up and spend our food money on better quality products.
@pyewacket (44036)
Organic foods aren't available everywhere...and even the places that do sell organic foods the cost is so much higher...I don't know about you...but I just can't afford organic foods on my budget
@sedel1027 (17854)
We aren't rich, but somethings we do buy organic. If I go to Wal-Mart and there is a choice between an organic lettuce and non-organic, I am going to buy the organic. The price difference is not usually much unless you are buying meat. I know that paying more hurts a budget, we trimmed down our budget other places to fit in organics. We do also buy a lot of organics at Wal-Mart and only go into Whole Foods for specialty items we can't get at Wal-Mart or items that are priced less at Whole Foods (there are quite a few items that are cheaper at Whole Foods). There are some things - primarily meat and veggies - that I will only buy organic, especially after working in a warehouse where the USDA approve meat. I look at it this way - if my food budget for the month is $250 and I need it to be $300 to buy better quality food for my family and to get the extra $50 means not eating out, buying Starbucks, or cutting back on non-necessity items, then I will do that. I would rather do without coffee than feed my family processed, chemically enhanced foods.
@FSCAries (881)
That's quite scary. It would be nice if they could always test the meat before it goes out, but I'm sure that would be costly.
@pyewacket (44036)
Well they seem to test meats after the fact..don't they?
I don't like this. I always shop and walmart and I just bought groundbeef from there yesterday. I live in Louisiana. All these recllas arereally getting out of hand it make me want to start my own farm where i can raise my food and grow my own plants to eat.
@pyewacket (44036)
I'm beginning to think the same thing about becoming a farmer! Then I'd know what I was getting
@LRB1111 (356)
Great i just bought a few pounds of ground beef yesterday. ALthough not from walmart i am still worried now. It's just getting ridiculous that nothing is safe to eat anymore unless you grow in your backyard and surround it with a fence. Like consider tap water for instance. Not even our water is safe to drink anymore.
@pyewacket (44036)
Maybe we should all become farmers and raise our own foods...that way we know what we were getting!!
@Woodpigeon (3710)
40,000 pounds? Gee, that is just a tiny little oopsy, isn't it? I wonder how many people are going to get sick over this one? You would think in this day and age we would have the tech know how for this to not even be an issue.
@pyewacket (44036)
The thing that gets me...we have all this high tech stuff and knowledge yet things like this happen....now you never heard of such massive recalls of food in my grandmother's or even my mother's day-and then there wasn't all this technology
@TerryZ (22083)
Oh geez now what? Yikes is right not again. Im glad I dont shop at walmart food section. Because we dont have one.LOL I only shop at walmart regular store. Thanks for the warning. Always appreciated. I think Ill just stopping eating meat all together for awhile. Who knows maybe I become a vegetarian.LOL
@pyewacket (44036)
LOL--and sure enough,..we'll become vegans and they'll find something wrong with that!!
Yikes! I didn't watch the news the last two days or read anything on the internet and had grilled burgers yesterday for dinner. Maybe they were cooked long enough if they were tainted. No one seems to be ill today. I would go Vegan, but gee, you can't even trust the veggies or fruit to be safe, either. I grow some of my own vegetables, but I can't grow them all. Such a shame, and a disgrace.
@pyewacket (44036)
I know...look at the spinach and lettuce scare not too long ago
makes me glad our walmart doesn't sell food,for once. i'm beginning to wonder if i can live on vitamins and coffee anymore.certainly be safer..um..maybe..
@pyewacket (44036)
We don't even have a Walmarts here...but that doesn't mean other food stores might not be affected
It makes it scary to buy any kind of meat. I think if I bought tainted meat I would have eaten it by the time I found out it was recalled. We usualy buy it and eat it with in a few dasy and it can take a while to let the public know. What are we supposed to do now?
@pyewacket (44036)
Well look at all the warnings they have about cooking chicken right...did we have all these problems years ago..???
@Sherry12 (2475)
It is getting scary to buy food anymore. I thought the peanut butter recall was bad enough. But, now this and you are so right, many people shop at Walmart. I do have some frozen patties in my freezer. I'm glad you posted, I somehow missed this recall. I'm going to check mine right now. Thanks.
@pyewacket (44036)
So did you look? Are they okay? When the peanut butter recall occurred even though it wasn't the brand they cited I threw it out...
Things are getting pretty bad and probably will get worse. There just doesn't seem to be any way to cover all the bases so it is going to get worse.
@pyewacket (44036)
Wonder what else will be recalled