Have You Ever Embarassed Your Kids?

There seems to come a time, when this happens to 'all' parents. For some, that time comes sooner than later. It can also happen to aunts and uncles, as well as grandparents. Yesterday, my teenage daughter and I took a trip to the bank. I seldom go inside the bank anymore, because of the convenience of ATMS. However, we needed to speak to a teller, and then found we had to make an appointment. According to my daughter, I asked the teller too many questions, and this embarassed her. To top it off, she'd stepped in some gum before we entered the bank, and she'd accidentally deposited pieces of the gum on the mat in front of the counter. I mentioned this to the teller, as I didn't want another customer to step in it, and this was the ultimate in humiliation for her. What times can you recall, when your child(ren), nieces, nephews, or grandchild(ren), were less than enthusiastic to be in your company?
@mummymo (23707)
Constantly someonesmom, constantly! I can't even say it is accidental I just think there is no point in having kids unless you get to embarrass them constantly! I like to do this and believe that it helps prepare them for later life! lol My eldest at almost 14 is easily embarrassed and I must admit I do take full advantage! hee hee hee Can't go into details here as he is reading this from across the room and the eyes are already rolling! lol xxxx
I agree with you mummymo, that it helps to prepare them for the future. As far as my asking all of those questions of the bank teller, kids tend to ask way too few questions, in those types of situations. Eventually, they'll have to take care of these types of business things themselves, and may find that they aren't well prepared. I can relate to the eye rolling too, as my daughter saw my discussion starter, and I received much the same reaction.:) Thanks for your response.
Well, isn't it in our contract to embarass our children much and often? We are obligated to get a rise out of our kids. They need to know that "stuff" happens. We don't plan on it. But, we should get a good chuckle out of it, instead of letting it embarass us. Have fun....life is short!
I do think I remember reading something like that, in the fine print.:) I like the way you put it too ... stuff happens, unintentional stuff. Thanks for sharing, ElusiveButterfly.
@miamilady (4924)
I think we embarass our children simply by existing! lol I know I have embarrased mine on more than one occassion. I try to be sensitive to that feeling without letting them be disrespecful to me. I used to feel the same way about my parents, so I take that into consideration. I think it is a relatively normal thing for teenagers. I don't know why that is but I try not to take it too personally. "Try" being the key word. There are still times when I get my feelings hurt, but it usually doesn't last long. Overall we have a good relationship. We enjoy eachothers company and laugh together often.
I think this is a rite of passage, especially for teenagers. Come to think of it, it was that way when I was growing up too. It's great to hear that you've got a good relationship with your kids. Thanks for your response.