what to price items at yard sales

I'm having a yard sale this weekend, and I'm having difficulty figuring out what to price some of this stuff...like books (both paperback and hardcover); VHS tapes (both homemade and store bought); baby stroller; clothes...HELP!!!!
@amyann16 (414)
We are having a sale this weekend as well, and the first question we had to ask ourselves was, Are we having the garage sale to make money and in turn get rid of stuff, or are we really trying to get rid of stuff and if we can make some spending money in the process? We decided it was more important for us to get rid of things and if we make a bit of spending money all the better. We are selling all our books at 25 cents each-- doesn't matter if it is hardcover or soft. VHS tapes are selling for $1, but if we had homemade ones, I would sell those for 50cents. Baby stroller, if in good shape, I would sell for 1/4 of what you bought it for brand new. Clothes vary a lot. We are selling most of our items between 25 cents and $1, with a few name brand clothes (Nike, etc) going for $2.
@winky73 (1396)
I buy a lot of books at yard sales and for the most part if they are really well known writers.....you can sell the paperbacks for around 25cents to 1 dollar....depending on the condition of the books.The hardbacks I would price between 2-4 dollars and again...it depends on their condition. VHS tapes are hard to sell and for the store bought ones you may be able to get $1....but the recorded ones you may wnat to go 3 for $1.You have to remember that most people have a DVD palyer now and tapes are not as popular anymore. If they are used clothes....50cent T-shirts,50cent-1 dollar blouses and buttondowns,pants $1-3$ and jackets up to $20 depending on the material and the condition. As for baby strollers and such....I really don't know....since I usually don't look for those kind of things. I would put up a sign saying prices are negotiable....people love to make a deal and you will most likely sell more stuff that way. Well I hope this helps a bit and good luck for your sale!!!
@Celanith (2334)
As a general rule of thumb Paperback books go for 50 cents if in good condition, 25 cents older and more used or smaller, Hardbacks $1.00 to $3.00 depending on size and condition. Homemade videos sorry they sell very poorly 10 cents each if your lucky. VHS depends on if they are disney or family or what they are. between 50 cents and $2.00 tops. clothing 25 cents to $1.00 any other questions about it ask, your talking to a yard sale queen of 33 years and writing a book on how to yard sale.
@cher913 (25895)
well it depends on if you want to make money or get rid of stuffs... we are having one also and i want to get rid of stuff and if i make a little money on the side, great! i usually price clothing at 50 cents per, paperback books at a quarter or 50 cents hardcover a dollar...vids maybe a dollar as well...your stroller maybe $5 or $10 if its really a good one...
@casita (237)
Hey, I'm glad you started this discussion. We're having a sale this weekend, too. I agree with previous posts about the cost of clothing and books. T-shirts I price at 25cents and I even go buy 4 get 1 free. I put other clothing at 50cents. You'll sell more if you price things low. You'll also rid your home of some stuff that has been creating clutter in the closet. My general rule is that if we haven't used it in 2 years we probably won't use it. And if we decide after the yard sale that we, in fact, needed it, well, then, we deserve a new one. The 2year rule has also helped to keep an eye as to how we spend. Even more, I promote at my yard sales (I do at least 2 a year, depending on how much stuff I have. . sometimes I take my sister's stuff and my mom's stuff off their hands!!!). In my other life I sell health benefits. So, everyone who comes to my yard sale this weeknd gets a flyer or brochure. I'm doing another yard sale later this summer. I'll probably promote the work at home bizop that's on my profile. My point is that you can sell more than just your old stuff. Hey, God bless you for selling your books! I just can't seem to do that!
if the stuff are used sell them for less and if the stuff are not really used that much or new sell them for more