A Magical Place Well On Par With Buckingham Palace.

Brighton Pavilion At Night - Brighton Pavilion, illuminated at night.
@Darkwing (21588)
Ok... London has its attractions, not least of them, Buckingham Palace, but an alternative to visiting London for its attractions is to venture south, to Brighton, where I lived for almost nineteen years. Let me introduce you to Brighton's main attraction, the magical Royal Pavilion, home to three British monarchs. Decorated in the Chinese taste with an Indian exterior this Regency Palace is quite breathtaking. Built for King George IV, and also used by his brother William IV and their niece Queen Victoria, the Brighton Pavilion is an elaborate doorway into a fantasy world filled with mythical creatures, rich colours and skilled craftsmanship. Some of its original furnishings and decorations on loan from H M The Queen. Witness the extravagance of the Music Room with its domed ceiling of gilded scallop-shaped shells... amble along the Long Gallery with its bright blues and pinks. In the Banqueting Room, look up to the central chandelier, which is held by an exquisite silver dragon. You may also wish to take a Regency tea or light lunch in the Queen Adelaide tea rooms. The balcony outside this tea room provides wonderful views over the gardens. The Pavilion offers guided tours and education facilities, as well as being licensed for civil wedding ceremonies. At night, the Pavilion is lit up, all its domes and walls glowing in the dark of the night. It is truly a spectacular and magical place to see. Do you have anything like this in your home town?
@mummymo (23709)
Stirling Castle - Stirling Castle from the west
i have been to the Pavillion Darkwing and it is breathtaking and a pleasure to explore! In Stirling we have a castle that while it is not as opulent it is historically and architecturally very grand and important! Since prehistoric times there has been a fortress in this position and it has been built on and added to over the centuries! Most of the buildings now are from the 13th-15th century! Many historians say it is one of the most important castles in Western Europe! I always know I am home when returning from a trip and see the castle looming over the city!
@Darkwing (21588)
I love castles and really old monuments, and would love to venture to Scotland to see some of the castles someday. Stirling castle looks as though it was perhaps a defence against the Viking attacks as it's overlooking the sea. Hmmmmmmm, I'm into Vikings! lolol. Thank you for your input, and Brightest Blessings. xx
@Darkwing (21588)
Royal Pavilion, Saloon Room - Brighton's Royal Pavilion Saloon Room
A reminder for you Mummymo, of the Saloon room, with its rich, red furnishings.
@mummymo (23709)
It is built on volcanic rock Darkwing and there sre cliffs on 3 sides so it was very defensible! Unfortunately we are not beside the sea although many years ago the River Forth was big enough to carry quite large ships (no longer the case though) and so it is entirely possible that it was used to defend against vikings! Thanks for the photo honey - and for the memories of the Pavillion xxx
@MsTickle (24991)
I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like that in Australia, if we do i don't know about it. I'd sure love to see that place.
@Darkwing (21588)
I'm sure you would find it quite majestic and spectacular by day or by night MsTickle. There is something eerie, yet beautiful about it when it stands out in the dark. Brightest Blessings.
@Darkwing (21588)
Since you sound interested in it... here is a daylight picture...
@Darkwing (21588)
Royal Pavilion, Brighton - Daylight Picture.
Ooooooooooops... try again! lol. A daylight picture of the Royal Pavilion, Brighton.
The picture looks quite amazing! Well where I live with have castle which was the hardest to get into (with it being built on a hill) In fact it was designed to allow bowers shoot arrows out of the gaping holes and under foot units would use swords and fire to fight any who dared to attack the castle. Nottingham Castle; Then there's Wollaton Hall which I live 30 minutes away. I don't actually know much about, I do know it's know for it's wonderful layout and the dear (which are still found there) then there's the fields and lake. wonderful park, it's shame theirs a gold course attached at the sides! ~Joey
@Darkwing (21588)
Actually, the picture doesn't really do it justice. It looks really majestic at night. I've heard of Nottingham Castle and Wollaton Hall, but I've never been there. I must visit someday when I'm in Robin Hood country. I've been to Matlock Spar, but that's about the nearest I got. lol. Brightest Blessings.
@Darkwing (21588)
Brighton Pavilion - A close up of The Royal Pavilion, in daylight.
A daylight pic for you, Joey...
Awesome. You can see the detail of how many other nations styles have been put into one. :) Hopefully some day I'll get the chance to visit it, ~Joey Thanks for sharing the picture
@kayrod2 (1304)
How beautiful. I only wish we had places like that here in oz. We do have some lovely places to visit, but not castles like this. I have been to a castle in queensland but only small compared to this. But it was beautiful. I have pictures somewhere but still packed. Best wishes to you, darkwing. I love hearing about all these wonderful places you tell us about. Keep it up
@Darkwing (21588)
Brighton Pavilion with Flowers in Foreground - The Royal Pavilion Brighton with flowers in the foreground, depicting the gardens.
Thank you Kay... but you have the Great Barrier Reef and equally beautiful places in Oz? I'll post another pic for you as I have all the others. This one gives you an idea of the exotic gardens.
@kayrod2 (1304)
Thanks for the other picture. It is beautiful. The great barrier reef is a beautiful place, and there are others. One of my wishes when the kids are older, and us probably retired, is to travel Australia and look at the many wonders of our country. Best wishes to you
@Darkwing (21588)
Yes, it's surprising what you find on your own doorstep. There's certainly much more to my country than I'd ever imagined. There's a lot of history here, and I'm sure you'll find a lot in Australia too. Brightest Blessings.
@raydene (9875)
Darkwing, Thank you so much for the wonderful tour into a place that I would never see otherwise.I could almost see and hear and smell the place as you discribed it. Thank You Sweets for a great discussion. Hugssssssss R
@Darkwing (21588)
You're quite welcome, Ray... it truly is a very majestic building, if slightly out of place. I forgot to mention that also in the grounds, is a theatre called the Dome. This used to be the old Riding Stables, which might interest you. The building which stabled the horses is huge... almost as big as the Pavilion itself, but it has been used as a theatre for many years now. :-)
@Darkwing (21588)
Brighton Pavilion Stables - The stables building at the Royal Pavilion, Brighton... now The Dome theatre.
This is an artist's impression of how the stables were, way back when.
@Lakota12 (42684)
no not that I have seen only the 12.5 million lights on freemont street
@Darkwing (21588)
Wow... that's a whole lot of lights, Lakota. I'm sure it beats anywhere in England... even Blackpool Illuminations! Brightest Blessings my friend. x
@Darkwing (21588)
Brighton Pavilion.. Evening - Early evening at the Pavilion, lights on.
Here's a clear picture of the Pavilion for you, Lakota..