outrageous shipping and handling from on-line auction sellers

cool picture of "eBay" - Image of "eBay"
I just wonder if others are annoyed w/how some people try to earn, unfair amounts, of money from charging high rates for postage, and also for packeging. It's as if sellers think all buyers are unaware of what postage rates are, and the price of various envelopes, etc. Anyone else have similar feelings?
@cher913 (25893)
yes, i have noticed that too...i hate the fact that they are trying to tag you with a cheap bidding price (so they dont have to pay high listing fees) but nail you with postage. i have sold stuff on ebay and the highest i charged for postage was $14 as it was a really heavy item... thats not fair, no wonder no one bids on them...
That's so true cher. I didn't even think of the shipping price as opposed to the selling - to avoid listing fees. I know the values of shipping and postage. So, I definitely don't want to pay much above what it's really worth. Thanks.
@cher913 (25893)
i think they just want to make a quick buck this way thats all...
@heathcliff (1415)
Thankfully I've seen less and less of this on the stuff I peruse. Part of the problem is perspective. I thought all the shipping rates were ridiculous until compared with what most companies charge for on-line shopping. Then, as a seller, I found out how much you can loose on shipping. FedEx and UPS are very expensive and USPS can be confusing. I did not want to charge too much for shipping, but as an experiment I did several shipping included auctions with low starting prices and lost my shirt every time. It is true there are unscrupulous sellers and many use high shipping to ensure their profits, but the worst of them will fade away as shoppers wisen. Likewise, it would be unfair to deny a seller a small profit on even their shipping so they can buy better packing supplies, improve their services and offer lower prices. After all, buyers on eBay are getting monstrous deals anyway or they would go to a "real" store.
Hey Heathcliff, thanks. I know what you mean about loosing your shirt. I've tried that too and it didn't work for me either. And, yes of course, we need to figure time and packaging materials into the fee too. I just dislike seeing people trying to profit excessively from this.
yeah i agree with you! i understand that shipping to my country could be expensive but sometimes it is really really expensive, that i think i have to pay more for the shipping than the item itself. some seller automatically selects the shipping type for the overseas buyer and mark up the price i guess..sometimes i think that is what make it expensive to get an item shipped to my country. some seller provides different shipping methods to their buyers which is good.
@mugzy528 (801)
Yes some shipping Rates Can be very high but come on I was just looking at something I could ship fpr Around 5 or 6 Dollars and the Person wanted like 15 dollars shipping and he did not live Far from me. I know some people Try to make some money off of shipping I have but not that High of a Price and it is Just getting out of Hand anymore.
That stinks about the shipping of the person living near you. One time I bought somehting from a local person. We agreed to meet at a local store. I avoided shipping fees and it was great.
@Sir_bobby88 (8245)
Well for me it won't matter me as long i feel that it is cheaper in my country goods yea ... but i do check for quality some of the quality are not in good condition and they dare to say new yea ....
I can understand why they have to do it. If ebay would cut back on the fees sellers could live a little. I am not one to hike my selling fees. I am going to have to think hard about it. I have paid $40.00 in fees to ebay and made noting. Why because I need to keep the listing fee to a limit and the shipping is the exact cost from the warehouse. How in god's name can I get to live? I have been on ebay enough to know all sellers are not hiking shipping prices. I also know those starting their bids at .99 are the ones I don't buy from. They have to make up the lost fees some how. Shipping....
Supposedly that is why ebay started the new feedback system, but if people dont use the custom settings it wont do any good. High shipping is one of the choices. People are so afraid of getting retaliatory negative feedback that most wont use this new system. Ebay needs to put a end to sellers that give negative feedback to buyers that have paid quickly and held up to their end of the deal, but are dissatisfied when they get the product and leave negative feedback. Then the seller leaves negative unwarranted feedback which will only be removed by ebay if both parties agree to remove the negative feedback. I have argued with ebay before about this matter and they refuse to change their policies. You see those big power sellers who manipulate the system make ebay big bucks so what do they really care. I refuse to buy from anyone that has a item for 99 cents and then charges 15 dollars to ship it, no matter how much I may want it. I also got jipped buy a seller who sold me a gemstone supposedly being sent registered mail from thailand for 8.50 when it really came from california for 1.25 I dont buy from them either anymore.