Irish meal Ideas

@stacyv81 (5904)
I had an idea for themed nights where we cook things from another country, like recipes and such, well I have some mashed potatoes and some kale in mind for an irish dinner, but what kind of meat do you think I should serve? And is KAle and mashed potatoes authentic of Ireland, like I am thinking? This was we can educate our children as well as feed them =) any ideas or helful hints appreciated! =)
@brimia (6584)
Corned beef is the most traditional
@stacyv81 (5904)
do you have a recipe?
@brimia (6584)
Corned Beef and Cabbage: 2 to 2 1/2 pound Corned-Beef Brisket*, recipe follows 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper 1 teaspoon ground allspice 2 bay leaves 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1/2 pound diced carrots, approximately 4 small 1/2 pound diced onions, approximately 2 small 1 pound potatoes, peeled and chopped, approximately 3 medium 1/4 pound diced celery, approximately 2 stalks 1 small head cabbage, chopped, approximately 2 pounds *Cook's note: Brisket should be prepared through the brining stage, but not cooked. Place the corned beef, pepper, allspice, bay leaves and salt into a large 8-quart pot along with 3-quarts of water. Cover and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat to low and cook, at a low simmer for 2 1/2 hours. After 2 1/2 hours add the carrots, onions, potatoes and celery. Return to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the cabbage and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes and cabbage are tender. Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately. Corned Beef: 2 quarts water 1 cup kosher salt 1/2 cup brown sugar 2 tablespoons saltpeter 1 cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces 1 teaspoon mustard seeds 1 teaspoon black peppercorns 8 whole cloves 8 whole allspice berries 12 whole juniper berries 2 bay leaves, crumbled 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 2 pounds ice 1 (4 to 5 pound) beef brisket, trimmed 1 small onion, quartered 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped Place the water into a large 6 to 8 quart stockpot along with salt, sugar, saltpeter, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, juniper berries, bay leaves and ginger. Cook over high heat until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the ice. Stir until the ice has melted. If necessary, place the brine into the refrigerator until it reaches a temperature of 45 degrees F. Once it has cooled, place the brisket in a 2-gallon zip top bag and add the brine. Seal and lay flat inside a container, cover and place in the refrigerator for 10 days. Check daily to make sure the beef is completely submerged and stir the brine. After 10 days, remove from the brine and rinse well under cool water. Place the brisket into a pot just large enough to hold the meat, add the onion, carrot and celery and cover with water by 1-inch. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and gently simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Remove from the pot and thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 8 servings
@stacyv81 (5904)
thank you so much!
@crazynurse (7489)
As posters above, corned beef comes to mind. But don't forget good 'ole Irish stew! There are also Irish fries! Here are a couple of websites for you!!! The first one is really nice as it has lots of history and other things that you can share with your childre. Enjoy! p.s. great idea for teaching children!!! http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/index.shtm http://www.yourirish.com/irish-food.htm
@stacyv81 (5904)
thank you, even though they are small yet, my oldest is three, but a great learner, I figure its never too early to start the learning process, and what better way, than dinner with the family =)
@Modestah (11192)
oh great website (the first one, have not looked at the second one yet) cool! thank you so much, crazy nurse, for posting this informative and interesting website.
I don't know much about cooking. But just wanted to make a comment, would you be having Indian food as well someday? Because Indian food is quite spicy and hot and I don't know if westerners can find it comfortable.
@stacyv81 (5904)
do you have any recipes? My guys loves spicy foods.
@inked4life (4227)
The most common Irish meal would be corned beef and cabbage served with wads of Guinness. I would actually skip the meal part and just go directly to the Guinness
@stacyv81 (5904)
yes, we do like Guinness, although I'll have to skip that as I just found out I was pregnant, but I can serve it to him! =)
You just gave me a great idea for homeschooling. Thanks. (ooh I can expand this to include regional foods across America - cool)
@Modestah (11192)
I love this idea, International nights! I think I will do this with my 12 year old. I want to start her to learning meal planning - and this would be a great way of going about it. We could incorporate it in with school plans. We could choose a country a month to read up on the culinary delights of the region and perhaps a spark of its history. Then maybe once a week choose a full meal to prepare in honor of that country... so 4 new ethnic experiences a month - wow! what fun. thanks for posting!