Are you going to encourage your Daughter to join Beauty Pageants

Beauty Queen - A beauty pageant winner
She was very pretty and brainy. You are very proud of her. Are you going to encourage her to join beauty pageants because she has these characteristics? Or do you think persuading her to join is not a very good idea?
I would let that decision be up to my daughter. I feel that beauty pageants are alot of pressure on girls but they also have lots of rewards and make girls feel good about themselves when they win.. I would not pressure my daughter into pageants, that would have to be a decision she made on her own but if I felt the pageant was not good for her well being or it was damaging her self esteem I would not allow her to do anymore. the most important thing in pageants is that girls enjoy them and have fun. They should not be pressured into doing them and they should not take it hard when they dont win. All women and girls should always remember they are beautiful and dont need a crown to prove it. Love yourselves ladies!
Eh...not that I have anything against pageants, but I would only join my daughter on that if the idea came directly from her. I have heard of people who expose their daughters to these things (all those Miss Americas, and Miss Universe, Miss Word, so on) a lot so eventually she will ask, but I highly doubt I will be exposing her to those programs. It must honestly come from her. I don't really like message those things send out to young girls who aren't old enough to understand the grand scope of things.. you know? All they'll get from that is "I'm smarter and prettier than you so - I win!" Not good.
i will not allow or encourage any child of mine to join something that they wouldn't like. the idea of joining a beauty pageant must come from them. if they wanna join then ill support them for as long as it won't hurt her studies.
@sweet_pea (3326)
The choice would definitely be in her hands. If she wants to, then I would support her and be her number one fan. I really think a child would be happy if they like what they are doing and not us parents dictating what they should be doing.
If it was something that she didnt want to do then i would NOT encourage it. I think there are so many parents that force their children into doing things like that. If it was something she truely wanted to do then i would encourage it.
I think child beauty pagaents exploit children. I think parents want to live a fantasy through their children, and that is wrong. My children will be encouraged to use their attributes for a greater good. Like Scouts. They will choose what sports etc they want to play, and I will follow their lead. Who wants to spend hours with a child, preening and fighting to get them to look like jail bait? Not me, tears and tantrums are a part of parenting, and I'll take mine without the added stresses.
My grandmother did not encourage my mother, my mother did not encourage me, so I will not encourage my daughter to do it.
@2btrueinu (705)
If I got a daugther with all this characteristic I will ofcourse incourage her if she is willing too but if she does'nt like it I will respect her decission. If she does'nt like that and she has that characteristic she will be successful to other field.
@aaslin (123)
definitely...iam going to encourage her because with her beauty she can become famous in oneday
@butterfly39 (3907)
Well, if she's confident enough to handle herself then why not.
@KrisNY (7609)
No I’m not going to encourage her- She is 10 now- When she was a baby- people told me all the time- sign her up for pageants- Nope- I didn’t want any part in it- If she so chooses on her own at any time- I would sign her up in a heartbeat- But I won’t encourage her until she shows an interest- She’s a beauty—and I think it would help her self-esteem. But she isn’t a girly girl- and I don’t see her wanting to participate in them.
@sizzle3000 (3040)
I would not encourage my child to enter beauty pagents. I think these shows are giving the message that if you are not beautiful you are nothing. My daughter was raised that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think these pagents should care more about actual talent and not what they look like. The problem is these pagents promote being skinny and being lovely on the outside. It doesn't take the inside of a person into consideration. These pagents were thought up by men who just wanted to see skinny women in skimpy swim suits.
My children are all too old now but i would never have thought about entering tehm in beauty pageants or encouraging them to enter. Not that I didn't think they were pretty enough; i've just always felt there were better ways to spend your time. i kept mine invovled in athletics of some sort (soccer and softball mostly) and girls scouts. they grew up very nicely.
@Bujoyseth (1684)
how i wish.. but sad to say.. i don't have a daughter, i only have two sons... anyway, if only i have a daughter, i would encourage her. it will help her to have self confidence..
@KissThis (3008)
I encourage my daughter to do what ever she wants in life. If she wants to enter a beauty pageant then I will stand by her and give her moral support. She has the right to decide for herself what she wants to do in life. My job is to teach her right from wrong and to give her moral support in what ever she decides she wants to do. If for some reason my daughter decides to do something that I don't think is good for her then I will tell her my opinion and why. She is the one who has the final decision.
@Beth84 (88)
If I have a daughter, I'll just introduce to her about beauty pageant. The benefits and privilages she get from it and it's up to her to make the decision. I just want her to have self-confidence and a high self-esteem. Beauty pageant is one way to improve her self more. I used to be shy before. But when I'm starting to join beauty pageant, I highten my level of self-esteem and self-confidence and I have more friends.
@1grnthmb (2063)
I do not care for the beauty pageants. There was a program on The Learning Channel that showed the lives of these girls. It was very disturbing. Little 6 year old girls were dressed up and covered with make up and trying to look like adults. They were all very talented. I do not know about them being smart however. My disagreement is that these girls do not live a normal life. They should be natural and not all made up which only covers their natural beauty. Talent is a big part of the pageants and I like that. I think there are a lot better avenues for a child, especially if they are intelligent, over a beauty pageant.
@mummymo (23709)
Well I think my daughter IS very pretty and I know she is very intelligent, don't know where she gets it from but she is a really special girl! As for beauty paegants - I would not encourage or persuade her but if she wanted to do it then I would support her! xxx
@magica (3710)
• Bulgaria
No. I think that theese pageants are something rather banal. I will not stimulate my daughter to be a Barbie, girly girl who thinks that this is her way of self-expression.
@aprilgrl (4460)
My daughter is grown now. When she was younger she was in a pagent twice in her lifetime. She had a great time but I didn't let her wear makeup. I don't push her into it she wanted to try it so she did and came in third place and she was only 5 at that time.