How did you keep off the excess weight during pregnancy.

During my first pregnancy I put on 45 pounds and had trouble with my blood sugar level. After the baby arrived getting the weight off became the real challenge. I'd like to have a healthier second pregnancy, if possible, with less weight gain. I'm not pregnant yet, but there could always be a next time. So, I'd like to be prepared. How did you keep off the excess pounds during your last pregnancy?
@wsue1023 (1396)
I gained 29 with my first, and had gained 29 with my second before being admitted to the hospital for preeclampsia... while there I retained so much fluid God only knows what I weighed 3 days later when I went into labor. I've lost 3 pregnancies since that time and have just found out I'm pregnant again! I'm not yet 8 weeks and have already gained 10 lbs, so naturally I'm concerned. I think it has to do with removing caffiene from my diet. I was a Diet Coke junkie and since caffiene is a stimulant imagine it was making a huge impact on my metabolism. I'm bummed about the weight gain, but if I get a healthy baby I'm more than happy to put on the lbs! I think the best way to control weight in pregnancy is through diet and exercise. Obvious, but we sometimes forget! Walk everyday and eat a lot of fruit and veggies. Be sure to eat lean forms of protien and drink a lot of water. Dairy is important too, but be careful what forms of cheeses you consume. Some are off limits to pregnant women.
@carlaabt (3505)
I didn't gain much weight at all when I was pregnant, but I spent most of my pregnancy dealing with morning sickness. I was only truly comfortable eating from about week 25-36. The rest of the time, no matter what I ate, I got sick. I still ate all the time, though, because I knew my baby needed the nutrients. I just learned what hurt the least coming back up. Another thing that really helped was to go on lots of walks. For some reason, I didn't feel as sick if I had just been walking. I might be able to hold down 3 or 4 bites of food after a walk, so we (my dogs and I, sometimes my husband) would go on two walks in the morning before I went to work, and three or four more after I got home, right up until it got too cold to be practical (I live in ND).