Father's Day Dilemma

@Razzles (391)
I am in a situation that it is impossible to get out of. I have 5 siblings, 3 brothers and 1 sister. My father is 85 years old and still driving, but has been having problems with driving directions. My uncle has a navigator and was raving about it. My younger brother, who is a physician suggested we all chip in and buy him one. My other siblings are all financially stable, whereas my husband and I live paycheck to paycheck.. My father has done so much for us, taking all of his children, spouses, and grandkids on a cruise every year, besides doing other things for us. When my sister asked me about chipping in on this gift, I told her I would, but also wondering how I was going to come up with the money. When I spoke to her, it was all 5 of us chipping in on the gift. She called me from the store after she bought the gift, and said it may be just 3 of us chipping in. I was speechless. My husband thought I should have said something, but I didn't.
@bgerig (1259)
of course, by this time (mid Sept. 07) you have already figured out the sitation...(I would be interested to know what you decided). But here is what I would have done. I would have contributed what I could have. If it wasn't an equal share, I would have offered what I could and said I would pay the rest of 'my share' when I could. Do you know what was the problem with the share that might not have happened? I think I would have asked sis about that, and see what the deal was with that sibling. But the bottom line...it is my father....I want to treat him as well as I can....independent of how my siblings can...some might be in a position to contribute more, others less.