Leftover Vegetables

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
I love vegetables but sometimes I buy too many and they start to go bad or I have defrosted and then have left overs. What I do is put then into the chopper and grind them all up. I then take an ice tray and fill with the vegetable mix and a little water. once that is all frozen(a few hours) I pop the vegetable cubes out and put them into a vacuum seal bag. This way I can add vegetables to many meals without anyone actually knowing they that the meals are actually healthier.
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hey there If I end up having left over veges, I usually put them in a baking dish and pour cheese sauce over them and grated cheese, its a really nice way to use up the veges instead of letting them go to waste management...
@razcal2267 (15577)
That is a great way to use up left over vegetables. I would not be able to do this because if I gated cheese over them they would no longer be left overs. LOL
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
LOL, Thats the whole idea... Is cheese like "gold" in your home lol... Or have I gone right off the track lol...
@razcal2267 (15577)
Cheese and garlic are like gold in my home. add one or both to something and there are bound to be eaters lurking.
Great tip! I also keep a "veggie freezer bag" handy. If it's any type of veggie that I can use for a soup I simply drain off the liquids from the bowl and add to the bag. When a I have a freezer bag full I simply plop the bag full of veggies into the crock pot with the rest of the fixin's for veggie soup! Quick and easy and actually the flavors of each veggie being sprinkled with butter, parm cheese, etc. for the original meal adds some flavor to the soups!
@razcal2267 (15577)
I am glad I am not alone in freezing vegetables. I know we do it in different ways but I was beginning to think that some thought it was a new concept.
I think for many it is a fairly "new" concept to them. Some families just don't "save" leftovers because they haven't learned how to reuse them I think. I know people at work that when I would reheat leftovers for dinner they would carry on about how wonderful it smelled, etc. and how they wished they could save stuff like that but they never did. I have NO clue why you would think you can't save it, even if it's only one dish, because if you're commenting to others that their leftovers are so yummy smelling why not save yours? LOL Oh well, if the entire world were logical we'd have nobody we could laugh at! *grin*
@razcal2267 (15577)
If the entire world were logical we'd still have the people with no common sense to laugh at. I think I am going to have to call and thank my mom. She never threw out leftovers. I learned from her to make my own TV dinners and not buy the ones from the store.
@dbhattji (2508)
That's a nice idea but I have seen my mother cut fresh vegetables into small pieces, put them in boiling water and immediately drain the water before freezing. This way the bacteria are killed and the vegetables do not loose their taste or flavor after defrosting.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I am not talking about fresh vegetables only. I am talking about any vegetables fresh or frozen that you have leftover after a meal that is not enough to really use again for another meal.
@dbhattji (2508)
We have an Indian dish called Khichdi - basically it is rice and pulses but we add many vegetables to it, specially the leftover cooked vegetables, they blend in and make the meal more tasty.
@rdougl (469)
Nice, I'll have to try that one day. Right now I'm trying to eat more veggies than meat. Not ready or willing to cut the meat out of my diet.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I am with you. I do enjoy eating meat but I have no problem with vegetables added to the meal or even to the meat, depending on what I am making.
@charms88 (7546)
I'm very selective with the vegetables I'm buying razcal. I grew up in a family where eating vegetables was not taught to us. I find it really hard to try to eat more. I recently saw in a forum about this green smoothies. Its basically looks like green food shake but you need to add some fruit of your choice and a little sugar or syrup to make it tastier. I experimented by adding two leafy veggies and 2 slices of apple placed in a shaker. I added half a cup of water and let it grind for a few minutes and added a few drops of non-fattening syrup. I was quite surprised that it tasted real good. I have been doing this everyday using different veggies and fruits. The one you suggested above seems too tedious for me to do. But I will save it for future reference. Thanks for the info.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I am glad that you shared your way of getting more vegetables into your daily routine. I will have to try a version of that. It does not sound bad at all. I do not find what I do with left over vegetables as tedious because I always have extra ice cube trays and I have my vacuum sealer on my kitchen counter all the time right next to my mini chopper.
@Dumpertaker (1189)
Now that is really clever! It would be great to use waking your own soups and stews as well, or even making a vegetable stock! When I have leftover vegetables, I tend to cut them up (if I need to) and then bag them up for making stews and soups, it means that it doesn't take that long to prepare everything you need! I do this with leftover meats too depending on what they are.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I do like to make my own soups and stocks and will use the frozen cubes as well as fresh when doing so. I also will freeze left over meat to add to a meal at another time.
never heard of that way before, you are very organised!!!! with my left over veg i either mix it up and fry in a little oil, or mix and put it in the oven til golden brown on top!!! good as a snack or served with meat or fish!!:) im hungry now
@razcal2267 (15577)
No, I am not very organized. I am very frugal and I hate to waste anything.
um arent you suppose to put a question in this discussion?
@razcal2267 (15577)
Oops I guess I forgot to ask it. What do you do with all your left over vegetables or the ones that are going to go bad soon?
@FSCAries (881)
That is a good idea! I usually freeze my left over vegetables and put them into soups I cook, but I might have to try what you have suggested. What all kinds of foods do you put the cubes in?
@razcal2267 (15577)
I add the vegetable cubes to many different things. Here are just some of the foods I add them to: soups, pasta sauces, scrambled eggs, hamburgers, meatloaf, meatballs, and even one or two into homemade gravy.
@OURDEW (4812)
That's a great idea. I always have some leftover veggies. I usually just heat them up the way they are and try to get someone to eat them. lol
@razcal2267 (15577)
If you just heat them up like that try adding some cheese to them I found I get takers that way.
@mamacathie (3930)
That is a great idea. I love any ideas and tips on not wasting food and saving money. I will add this great tip to my list of tips. I like adding those veggies to other foods too. Wow! You are sneaky! LOL That is really a good idea and I will be doing that.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Yes, I can be sneaky sometimes. Enjoy the extra flavor in your foods. :)
@lauriefnp (5113)
What a great idea! I am in the habit of throwing out the leftovers after they sit in the fridge for several days... This will be more "frugal", and it is certainly a good way to add a bit of nutrition to a great variety of meals!
@razcal2267 (15577)
I used to throw out the leftovers also but every since I was given my vacuum sealer I have found so many ways to save things I would have otherwise gotten rid of.
@KrisNY (7609)
I have never heard os such a thing- I guess it would work- My family loves veggies- so I don't have to hide them in food- but boy they would sure add flavor to some food- I think I just might try it- I constantly am throwing away fresh veggies- They don't get eaten quick enough or they just start to turn before they should-
@razcal2267 (15577)
Well, the idea came from my sister having to hide vegetables in the food so her children would eat them. My house mates just make faces when I say "there is eggplant in the meat sauce" so I stopped saying it and just the extra vegetables and they always seem to like it more when I do add the vegetables then when I don't.
@gewcew23 (8012)
I had never thought about this before. I do have some of these sometimes. I think that is a great way to deal with your leftovers. Thanks for sharing this idea with us. I can't to try this.
@razcal2267 (15577)
You are welcome. Just do not forget to take some out of the freezer the next time you are making sauce or other things.
@wolfie34 (26881)
That's a good idea! Thanks for sharing, when we have any left over vegetables they are given to our rabbit to eat, all the peelings from the vegetables as well as any leftovers, she happily devours them, it's also cheap and good for her too!
@razcal2267 (15577)
Giving them to the rabbits is a great way to use up vegetables.
• Marion, Kansas
You are much more organized than I have been of late. Of course I do not have any little picky eaters at home anymore, just a hubby who will not eat pasta. I did use this trick a lot when I would grow zucchini, as I was the only one at home who liked it. It would go right in the blender, some made zucchini bread, which was well received, and some went into pasta sauces and soups as it was then virtually invisible. We all need to eat more veggies, and I do hate it when I waste them.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I do not have any little ones here either. I learned the trick from my sister. I found that with my house mates it is just easier when I am making dinner to add a few cubes of vegetables into the sauce, turkey or beef burgers, or whatever else I can. I also hate to waste vegetables especially if I bought fresh ones.
@azimsay (546)
Do not do like this beause it is wrong thing.With vegetable we get vitamine which is neccessory for our life.With we got fitness.Don't leftover vegatables.Eat more and more.
@razcal2267 (15577)
So I should eat all the vegetables even when full? No thank you! I do like vegetables but there is no need to get myself sick from eating too many. Sorry you do not like my idea. It is not for everyone.
@SuchPwn (45)
i eat vegetables all the time