What Do You do For A headache?

@wachit14 (3600)
This morning I woke up with a headache. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it can stay with me all day. I'm thinking that when this happens it has to do with something I ate yesterday. Sometimes drinking a glass of wine will do it, but yesterday my son decided he wanted to barbeque and he made hotdogs. I hardly ever eat hotdogs, but I had one yesterday. I'm thinking that the nitrates gave me a headache this morning. In any event, I got up and immediately took two ibuprofen. I know some people just wait it out until it goes away, but I won't ever do that. What do you do when you get a headache? Do you immediately take something and if so, what do you take? Or, do you wait it out or do something else to get rid of it?
@magica (3710)
• Bulgaria
The usual analgetics. Or may be a cup of coffee and a shower. Or just wash my face and ice with some cold water-it helps.
@wachit14 (3600)
Yes, I used to rely heavily on caffiene to help relieve a bad headache, but have sworn it off for years as I believe it just added to it. Thanks!
@maryannemax (12172)
• Sweden
i did not realize that a cup of coffee can take away headaches. i haven't tried it before. i do try and wash my face and neck, too with cold water. but still, there are times it won't take away the pain... anne
@maryannemax (12172)
• Sweden
for as much as i could, i will not take in medicines first. mostly, i go to my brother or mother and tell them i have a headache. they will give me a head and neck massage. if i feel better after, no need for medicines. but if the pain is still there, i will surely take the medicines already... anne
@nangel78 (1458)
I have a headache today from sinus pressure that refuses to go away so I understand what you're saying. I have taken ibuprofen and it helps some, but the headache is still there.
@aprilgrl (4460)
I usually take buprofen if its not that bad I'll leave it alone and rest some.
@Rickrocks8 (1751)
I take something right away. I dont get them very often!~
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
I usually have head ache and once I'ts been my topic before, about migraine. I know for me it is migraine because it is not just a simple head ache and is more painful than head ache. I think your right about eating hotdogs and some food with many preservatives can caused head aches too, me also when I eat food with sodium I feel some dizzness go along with head ache. I do usually took ibufprofen, or analgesic I'll do it every 6 hours if the head aches still there. And sometimes I put some ice bag in my head it can help.
@williamjisir (22903)
When I have a headache, I cannot wait it out, for it will be there getting worse. So usually I take a capsule for killing the cold. It works, but I have to take it once I find the coming of headache. So I never delay taking one capsule once I have a headache otherwise I will have to take two to get rid of it.
@Dolcerina (3379)
• Hungary
Sometimes I have a headache when I forget to eat or drink. SO in these cases the eating and drinking solve this pain, but in other cases I must take a pill, when I have a headache, because it does not go away.
@winky73 (1396)
I usually take a couple of Advil right away.....but sometimes they don't work as well as they should.That's when I resort to peppermint oil.Just a couple of drops on either side of your temples and your headache is gone with in minutes.I prefer using that when i know I'm going to be home....since it smells very strong and it does make your eyes water just a bit.
@sakana (260)
I take lots and lots of water to flush out whatever it is causing the headache, and I rest a while too. It works most of the time :) headaches are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, and since the body constantly readjusts itself I figured my brain just needs a little more time!
@maybey (366)
They have many causes of headache it cause of migraine can be hereditary, allergy, mental stress and strain, strain on eyes, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, etc... I think if you have an headache you need to consult your doctor to know what you need and what cause of headache you have.
@navtech (1776)
Hi, wachit14, why people get headache? The reason is that sufficient oxygen does not pass through the cells resulting headache. In order to avoid headache in future I take permission and liberty from you to advise you something. It is very effective and good for health on the whole. You do "Yoga" every day morning in empty stomach. Simple "yoga". Just inhale deep breath and keep the same in your heart for 30 seconds and exhale. You should take the breath through one nose and leave through another nose. Next time when you inhale breath you should inhale through the nose through which you exhaled first. Do like that 15 minutes in the morning for 15 days. (you can continuously do that in your whole life - no problem) Everyday you will feel your mind gained some amount of freshness. You will experience the freshness yourself. In due course, you will have no problem of headache. With you good health.
take a hot coffee, rest, relax, be cool. then take a shower will give you a good feeliung. dont forget to take paracetamol. dont work when you feel bad stay at home and listen to mellow music.
@nandans (1161)
Usually i take rest, if headache is more i take Disprin with Water..
@hazelan (89)
I choose massage the head by myself when I have got headache. Or I stay in bed and have some medications(e.g."Tianma headache pill"or"Zhentian pill").
@Zelmarq (11503)
• Cebu City, Philippines
Wtaer therapy is my solution but if the headache gets to the limit that I can only tolerate I will then have to take pain relievers but as much as possible I try not to take any if the pain is still at tolerable levels cause self medication is not good. When our head aches its a signal that something is wrong in our body.