Can you wash sponges?

@guss2000 (2234)
I wash my dishes with a sponge. I bought these so-called antibacterial sponges that are supposed to not get dingy or smelly for longer than a normal sponge. However, i think these things are getting nasty quicker than the regular sponges I normally get. Ive been replacing them about every 2 days, and i know my other sponges used to last for weeks! So I'm wondering if you can wash sponges in a washer and dry them in a dryer. Would that make them last a bit longer? I wash a lot of dishes and I'm getting really sick of the sponges getting nasty and needing replaced so soon. Has anyone tried this?
@foxyfire33 (10009)
You can also wash them in your dishwasher if you have one. I think you put them in the top rack. I don't use regular sponges. I have this thing that your pour the dish soap into the handle and then there's a round sponge on the end. I don't have to use nearly as much soap or water when I use it. It tucks nicely into the utensils basket in the dishwasher. When it does wear out I get a new one from the dollar store.
@guss2000 (2234)
I didn't even think about the dishwasher. We have one but barely ever use it. I think Christmas may have been the last time I used it. Thank soap sponge thing you have sounds neat. I might go to the dollar store tomorrow and see if i can find what you are talking about. Thanks!
@guss2000 (2234)
Foxy-- I was at the Dollar Tree today and I found those sponges with the dish soap holder that you were talking about. I picked up 2 packs. I already tried it with my afternoon dishes, and I love it! It works really well. Thanks for the suggestion!
No. I actually found some sponges that i really like at a store called DollarTree. They come in a pack of about 10. So what I do is that I will use one for about 3-4 days then throw it out. I am really funny about sponges, cuz my son (8yrs) got salmonella poisoning when he was 2 years old and we never found out why. It was such a horrible experience. I'm still traumatized! The doc told me to be very careful.
I would prefer to pay the Dollar and keep my family safe.
@guss2000 (2234)
That's what I was doing before I got these so called anti-bacterial sponges. They do not work! They get smelly and nasty so fast. The Dollar store sponges last soo much longer! Thanks for the advice!
@judyt00 (3504)
Yes, you can indeed throw them in the washer and dryer. However, if you use dis cloths instead, you can just leave it in a bowl in the sink that has bleach and detergent between usages and it will stay clean longer. Then you can use the liquid in the bowl to sanitize the dishes as well for the next load. They can also go into the wash daily, or however often you do the laundry without damaging them
@guss2000 (2234)
I need to invest in a few dish rags and hand towels. I have maybe a half dozen hand towels for the kitchen, and I use them to dry my hands alot, so they are getting pretty beat up. I'm going to try to wash a sponge and see if it works out. Thanks!