High handed store manager.

@MsTickle (24994)
Australia
Every now and then i do a big grocery shopping in a town just over an hour away. I spend a couple of hundred dollars. In May I shopped there and bought bacon. I'd budgeted for $9 and the price was $9.98 on special so i asked for 9oogrm. There was a big ticket in front of a big tray of bacon in the display window. When I arrived home I discovered that I'd been charged at the normal rate of $12.98. Now here in Australia our supermarkets operate under a scanning code of practice that states if the goods scan at a price higher than the shelf price the customer gets the item free. I rang the store and was put through to the deli manager and he said there was no problem just to come and see him next time I shop. I explained it might be a while before I was back and he said that was ok. I approached the service desk with my docket and the tag from the bacon and was told that that guy had left. Someone from the deli came and I explained and off they went. Then another guy came and I explained to him again and he again told me that that guy had left. It turns out that this guy was the store manager and his attitude was not friendly. He asked me if I would accept $3.00, that being a bit more than the difference. I gave him a look and said "Fine". He asked if I had a problem with that and I asked him if he operated with the scanning Code of Practice. I got my refund but he was really peed off. He had said he was not insinuating that I was being dishonest. What?? I had done the right thing all along it was the store that made the mistake. He tried to put one over on me. I was so proud of myself for being assertive and standing up calmly for my rights. I shouted myself KFC for lunch with the winnings. LOL. Would you have done the same? Has anything like this ever happened to you?
@brendakaya (2335)
I agree that you did the right thing. I know not all stores do this dishonestly, but I'm sure that some do, because some people just don't go back for their money. I am guilty of not always going back, just because I don't feel like arguing with the cashier. We have a store here, that I have been given back the wrong change twice by the same person, one time it was $5.00 less. And another cashier charged me for the same item twice, and I didn't notice til I got home, and figured it would be a waste of breath to go back, so I didn't. I have decided, however, from now on, that I will check my receipt before I leave that store from now on, and maybe I'll be able to save myself some money.
@Katlady2 (9920)
I'm proud of you. You restrained yourself much better than I would...big mouth that I am. Clearly, that manager doesn't know his job, nor does he have the right skills and manners to deal with customers properly. It sounds like one of these days, his attitude and the way he handles situations is going to get him into a lot of hot water. He needs to consider himself lucky that you didn't turn him in to a higher supervisor.
@gabs8513 (48715)
I am glad that you did to and yes I would have done the same but I am in a better position then you as my Supermarket is not that far away so I would have gone back there and then Good on you for standing up to them Love and Hugs
@charms88 (7541)
Hi tickles. You did a good job in demanding your rights. You had gone through talking with different personnels and the effort was worth it anyway. As far as I'm concerned, I hadn't encountered such incident yet. I'm always careful checking the prices and kept a sharp focus while the cashier was busily pounding the cash register. Its always my habit to check the receipt and the products I bought once I arrived home. I like to make sure that I was not cheated even for a few cents. Money nowadays are hard to earn.
@tmlnmr (1850)
Good for you for your assertiveness. I would have likely just taken the $3.00 and not gone back then they would have been losing a whole lot more. I tend to not argue and just not support either. I would also let everyone know about it that I knew so they wouldn't go there either.
@mummymo (23707)
Good for you mstickle and good to see you again! You are safe tonight Niamh is asleep and not going crazy over your avatar! lol Anyway I am proud of you for standing up to yourself in an assertive and calm way - you go girl! I have had to call a store and tell them about being overcharged but never had a problem when I get back to the store to get a refund! Hope the KFC was tasty honey! lol xxx
@sizzle3000 (3039)
I use coupons all the time and I have problem more than not. There are store managers that think because you use coupons and get some items for free you are cheating the store. when in fact that store gets the money back for each coupon they accept plus and eight cent handling fee. I always seem to get the cashiers that think the stores money is her money and she hates to see anyone save a penny. I think these people should not be in a job that deals with the public. I also think that if these managers and cashiers do not know how to do their jobs they should be fired. I will keep using my coupons and keep lodging complaints with the store main offices till customer service is good.
@weemam (13377)
good for you pal , I am proud of you , Years ago no I wouldn't have done this but now yes I would , I got a raw deal from PC world too long a story to tell you here but I stood my ground and reported the manager , got in touch with canon myself and got the item fixed , but not before I turned round to people waiting in PC world and told them not to shop there as they didn't honour their warranty's , I was shaking in my boots but I was just so proud of myself so I know just how you felt , good one girl xx high five lol xx
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
Good for you and I bet lunch tasted even better. I'm proud of you. I find it very annoying when people complain and rant and rave about these types of things yet refuse to say anything. No wonder these fancy store managers get away with this stuff and end up looking like good company people. We all need to take a lesson from you. The one thing that upset me real bad was I had taken a film to be developed to WalMart and when I went to get the pictures the next day staff couldn't find my pictures. The pictures were of family and mainly my two little Grandchildren. I was not a happy camper to say the least. The manager of the photo lab promised to find my pictures. Keep in mind our gas is about 6 dollars a gallon and I live 3/4 of an hour away, it's not like I can run to the store when I please. Well after about three days this manager tells me she did locate the pictures but they had been given to a wrong customer and the old lady that got them lived in a different town. I said something like, " And your point being is ? I also live in a different town and I want my pictures, that woman has no right to them and if she can't afford the gas to return them then she can mail them at my expense." None of that happened and after days of being on the phone the manager finally admitted that the old woman had said she destroyed the pictures and the store was prepared to give me a free film. Well that did it, I lost it on her and said my grandchildren were worth more than a roll of film and I'd see about this. I ended up getting a 25 dollar gift card and I never did get film developed there again. I went to Staples and bought a digital camera.
@daycarepal (1998)
At our local supermarket, if an item scans higher than the price is suppose to be, you get that item for free. It happened to me when I ran into the store just to buy some grapes they had on sale. They did not ring up the sale price. They had to call a manager over and then he had to go to the produce department and make sure there was a sale sign there. I did get the grapes for free. It was a bit of a hassle but it was worth it.
@meljessxena (2317)
this has happened to me quiet a few times, and as you said about doing the large shop, i do that as well, because i live so far away from the shops. i acutally got a few meat trays and my partner forgot something so he went and got what he forgot and i putting the groceries on the bench out of the trolley not watching the things being scanned and i got charged for it and didnt realise to got home, but that same day my dad was in there and got something and it happened to him, so we went in together the next day and they refunded him his money but with me they just gave me another tray up to the value that was extra on the docket. maybe you could complain to another level if you wanted to, but my guess probably be a wasted of time for you since they wont give you anything out of it only that $3 you have been given.
@TriciaW (2441)
You did a great job. It would depend on the situation but yes I am sure I would. I figure if I am the one that would tell a clerk if they gave me too much money then they should give me a refund if they charge me too much money. I am proud of you for standing up for your rights and letting the manager know you demand to be treated fairly. Way to go!!
@Calais (10900)
YAY !!!! Good on You...... They try and put it over you by intimidation and you stood up to them. Great job. If they can get away with it they will.
@KissThis (3006)
I remember years ago when Wal-Mart first came out with their super-centers that they had a policy for prices that were incorrect. If the price rang up higher then what the sale price is then you got a discount. For anything over five dollars you got three dollars off. For anything less then five dollars you got the item free. One day I was shopping at the new super center. I normally buy the majority of my stuff on sale. Anyway several items rang up incorrectly so I went to the service desk to complain. The customer service lady tried to tell me that all she could do was give me the difference back in what they over charged me. I told her that I knew what the policy was and I didn't find her resolution to be acceptable. I demanded a manager who tried to tell me the same thing. So I asked to speak to the store manager. Not only did he follow the policy but he also gave me a twenty five dollar gift card. I sent a letter to the corporate office to explain everything to them. I told them how I didn't appreciate how the customer service lady and the one manager treated me, as well as letting them know what a great store manager they had. Corporate office sent me a fifty dollar gift card. Complaining does get you some where.
@Tetchie (2933)
I'm with Lordwizard on this one. The policy states clearly what happens and they have gone against it haven't they? Regardless of whether that guy had left, you have the record and so would they in their sales data. Was only a matter of checking it and you would have got more than your $3.00. You did well to be assertive cause most people would not even go that far. Take a deep breath and write the letter.
@twils2 (1812)
I had to go through something simaler to this recently at a used car lot. I paid $3200 cash for a 98 ford windstar and the thing ran for about two weeks when al of a sudden the motor started missing real bad. The thing could hardly make it up a small hill. I took it to a mechanic and he said that there was something wrong with the computer because it wasnt giveing him any error codes. Than I took it to the ford dealer and they took one look at it and said the mtor was shot. The next day, I callef the lot that I bought the van and at first he said that he couldnt do anything for me. I told him that this is the third car that we had puchased from his lot and if he wanted any more of my bussiness he would have to do something for me and than he said that he would give me $1000 credit towards another van. after going back and forth for about an hour he finally gave me $3000 toward another van. I dont think I'll be going back to his lot again but at least I have a better running van that I hope lasts quite a while. I hate bickering with these guys but you have to do what you have to do. Take care, Terry
Hey, I am really proud of you. No one should cheat you and get away with that. If I were you, I would take it a step further and complain about the attitude of this manager. To be honest, offering you $3 seems a bit of an insult. Money's good of course but that's that. So fire off a letter and give the company a piece of your mind. Do it right and you might even get some vouchers perhaps. ;-)
@kayrod2 (1304)
You did well! I hope you enjoyed your winnings, they were well deserved. It gets to me when they overcharge, and then try and make out that your in the wrong. I would have stood my ground like you. Especially since you had rang as well. Best wishes to you, tickle
@misheleen73 (6037)
I am very proud of you for standing up for yourself. Once I went to the store and my son wanted a meat and cheese tray that was already made from the deli. The price was @ $3.oo US. When I got home I realized they had charged me 4 times for the tray. My son had already eaten the tray, but I took the wrapper and went back. I got the nastiest woman ever. She claimed I had bought 4, went home and only brought the wrapper for 1 back with me. She even accused me of having a party and wanting the other 3 trays free. I went over my shopping receipt item by item. None of the items concurred with a "party" I went over her head and went back to the cashier with a General manager. the cashier remembered me, and said she remembered the one tray. It had only been maybe 30 minutes and I live in a small town. My son had helped bag the groceries. I don't know if they ever did anything with that woman, but to be called dishonest was the icing on the cake. I can understand an error, but not poor treatment.