How do you feel about the health care industry today?

I have been a nurse 20 years and have seen so many changes. While technology is great, and we can do amazing things now, I feel like health care has lost its true meaning. Nursing shortages, long hours, uninsured or under insured, growing elderly population, medicare woes, all these things are giving health care major issues. I feel like patients no longer get the care they pay for or deserve. How do you feel, please be honest and forth coming.
Well I have been a nurse for 9 years now and I'm currently in school advancing my education further in the field but I agree although the technology has grown and made healthcare a more technologically advanced field than it was say 20 years ago. I feel that there has been a lot of things lost along the way such as one on one patient care and being able to connect with your patients. It just seems that instead of being able to interact with your patients these days you are spending more of your time documenting, charting etc. especially when you have the medicare and other types of insurance patients that you have to make sure you chart certain things accurately or the companies won't pay.
I understand why they need proof of care for payment, but it is so time consuming, and even though it is proof of care it isnt proof of good care. Whe I first started 20 years ago we spent so much more time with the patients than we do now. It is kind of sad to me.
Oh I agree with you I understand also the need for proof of care for payment and also you are right it's not always proof of good care. I know some facilities are trying to implicate new charting methods to make it easier and less time consuming but many still use the old methods and they can be just awful especially in a lot of the Long Term Care facilities that are family owned (ex narrative charting) I always feel like I'd so rather be in one of the patients rooms doing something else then sitting here charting but I guess until some more changes are made it is what it is for now.
Its all about making money, not caring for the patient, that is the problem. As soon as health care became a money making business there went good care.
@musicman6 (2371)
That's something that I can't understand, the low wages they pay, for this type of work! If they would pay a decent wage, more people would work in this field, because it's not easy! And the high price of health insurance is highway robbery! I guess the only ones making money in this field are the doctors!
Most doctors really only live a comfortable life style. The ones that are really rich are the ones into big technology like heart surgery, plastic surgery, anything that is highly technological. The hometown doctor is not a millionaire. The people really raking in the bucks are the pharmaceutical companies, and health insurance companies. Ever since they made health care a for profit thing, it has never been the same, and yes it doesnt help that the pay stinks, the hours stink, and it is basically a thankless job, but I love it anyway, i must be a glutton for punishment
@musicman6 (2371)
You're right melissa, I knew somebody was getting all that money! I spent 10yrs in the health profession myself, and I am happy to report, that the people I worked with, were the most compassionate, caring, and hardworking people, such as yourself, that I have known!
Well thank you, how come you left the profession, if you dont mind me asking?
@musicman6 (2371)
I left the health care profession,because of several reasons; trouble in my marriage,the kids were all grown up,just needed to get away! I took a job driving a truck, in all 48 states crosscountry, the money was real good, and I enjoyed it almost as much as the nursing profession! I drove 13yrs,had surgery,and now I am looking for a job in the health care again!
Well good luck to you. I used to have a cdl license, had it for many years then I let it expire. I kind of wish i had just kept it, just incase