Doubt , Power Options in Windows....

Hi i have one doubt ..two days back i read in a book that in windows xp using power options to shutoff the harddisk during its idle time will increase the health of the disk and also keeps low temperature...my doubt is if i put something for download ...say a 700MB file and keep the computer running ....its idle mode right...so will the harddisk shut down???and if so then will that affect my download....actually thats a stupid question i am asking ....but now no time to go behind all these so please some one help !!!
@darkness01 (1304)
If you are downloading a 700mb avi file and you turn on the option to turn of the hard drive if your pc is idle it will not effect your download. When you are downloading the file your hard drive is active because its constructing and building the file as it downloads. When you select the hard drive turn of when idle feature all it does it put the hard drive in a standby mode similar to that of your monitor when you leave it. When you come back to your computer and want to start working again your hard drive will resume back to normal.
thanks a lot for clearing my doubts .....so shall i ask you one more thing????using this option to turn off harddisk during idle time good for the system or not ....do u do this???what is your opinion???
I dont use this option. There is very little time when the hard disk is actually inactive, if any time at all. There are other power options such as system standby you can enable if you want to save energy on your pc.
@TrevaUK (142)
Windows will only shutdown the hard drive if it's not being accessed, If your downloading, this will keep the hard drive active and won't shutdown. If the hard drive has shutdown there may be a short delay in accessing files because the hard disk had to powerup again.
Thanks a lot buddy....nice reply...cleared my doubts....also tell me your opinion about using this options... should i use it or not....is it good or not ???
if ur hard disks get switched off then where will ur donloaded files go to? so u need them working when u download, u coould try switching of the monitor to save power though...