Do you think 31 or 32 is too old to become a teacher?

@pooh1623 (192)
I am thinking of changing my career and might become a teacher, but I know that teachers usually start young so do you think that being 31 or 32 is too old to become a teacher, what are your thoughts?
@pallidyne (858)
I don't think it's too young to start, but it will be a bit uphill for you. In some places in the US, like Pittsburgh where I live, there is a saturation of people wanting to be teachers causing great competition. So.. you may have to move depending on whats happening in your area.
@pooh1623 (192)
Yeah I don't expect it to be easy, nothing is, but it is worth a shot!! Thanks for sharing!!
@dfollin (12768)
Neither! I will be forty-six next month and I have been homeschooling my daughter for five year's now and I have been for the past two year's teaching preschooler's in a church progam called MOPS (Mother's of Preschooler's)at a church.Under a volunteer emphasis,I have taught VBS (Vacation Bible School) for the past two years and teaching Awana (bible study program for kids)for the past three years.Iam also considering earning a Teaching Degree,what and if I will do anything with it I do not know.But,I will be personally satisfied.You are not too old to be a teacher.It's not like your going for being a model or something that has the tag "young" on it.Go for it! Good Luck!
@pooh1623 (192)
I have never taught kids before, but I have always been entrigued with school and thought that maybe teaching is something that I want to do. I would of course want to teach elementary school like 5th or 6th grade but I'm still unsure what I want to do. I have two bachelors degrees and just finished less than a month ago and I am looking for a new job, I know I need more money now, but I also want to do something I love to do. I love learning so why not help others learn too. Thanks for sharing!!
@dfollin (12768)
What degree's do you have?If you can afford it and want to do it.Then go for it.You only live once.
@pooh1623 (192)
I have a dual bachelors in Business Administration and Accounting. I am one to not have a lot of money, but I would like to also enjoy what i'm doing too!!
You are still very young! So many people think that you can't chose a career past your 20s. Not only will you most likely make a better student (more focused on your goal instead of parties and dating) but you will will probably make a more patient teacher. I say YES YOU SHOULD!
@dfollin (12768)
I agree.I had a pen pal who was eighty and she got a banchelors degree in Math and was going for one in history,when she passed away.Bless her soul.She did not die a dumby,lol.She had a head full of knowledge and she was personally satisfied.But,see you are never too old to learn.What you do after you get the degree is up to you and the circumstances at the time.Don't worry about the money you spent.So,what!It was spent on something good,not thrown away.Like I said before you only live once.I also had a friend that was alot younger.She went to college and got a degree in Education.Taught first grade for a year and found she did not like it and went back to school for Travel and got a job with an airline.I have not seen her in year's.Who know's maybe she went back to teaching,still a stewardess,maybe she went back to school again,but whatever she made herself happy at that time in her life.Go for it!
@pooh1623 (192)
I know i'm not too old to learn, as I learn new things everyday. I'm simply asking if that is too old to become a teacher. I don't want to waste 2 years on getting a masters in education and not use it, does that make sense?
I can't I imagine think 31-32 was to old to start a career.What image would that give to older people then you. Your still young and you should start soon. I am 37 and would go to school in a heart beat if I had the funding. I am not old in any way. Gl
@pooh1623 (192)
I didn't have the funding to go back to school and will have to start paying back all my loans soon so that wouldn't stop me. My problem is whether or not I should do it, I have to go back to school and get my masters in education and it will take another two years and by time i'm done I will be almost 32. I know most teachers start younger so that was my concern. I am looking for options on what I should do. Thanks for sharing!!
If this is something you like to do then yes. My brother is a teacher. He is going on 40 years old. He started late as well. He went to school at night and was a sub during the day. He now is a teacher and a boss at the Ymca. He could not be any happier at what he chose. You can do it as well. You know how fast 2 years will go by. Your going to look the same,talk the same,even walk the same. It's just a matter of when your going to start. Good luck in your study..
@redfang (969)
You are never too old to start something especially a new job, if you want something then go for it.
@pooh1623 (192)
Yeah I've always been a go getter, but its what I want is the problem, I'm still really unsure with what I want to do with my life. I have two bachelors degrees and i'm still unsure so I'm just looking for options. Thanks for sharing!!
31 or 32 is still young age. And it's no problem to become a teacher in this age.
@luzamper (1360)
Age is not the problem; it's the interest. It's not easy to be a teacher. Be sure to like teaching. If not, better take other fields. Anyway, you have 2 bachelor's degrees. You can go anywhere you like. But if you like teaching, enter the field no matter what age you have and definitely 31 or 32 is not too old but that's good enough age to teach. At least you know what you're doing and talking about unlike the fresh graduates who go to teach just for the sake of having a job.