How easy can it be to learn another language by watching tv?

Now I have tried to grasp the Spanish language. I listened to tapes. watched dvd's etc you can't understand my desire. I love to watch those Spanish shows even though I can't understand them. I even got to the point I knew who the husband,father,daughter and the cheating son was. I was told by people they learned to speak English by watching tv. So how come I can't learn Spanish from watching t.v? I am of now to watch my Spanish show. I will just continue to watch the actions of the people.
@tad1fan (3373)
Very,if you put the closed captioning on your tv.....3 years ago,I moved to a french community and I couldn't speak or understand a word....after watching french shows and really listening to the people around me talking,I still can't talk fluent french but I can understand what is being said and join in using french and english.....good luck!
The closed caption would also be in spanish. I really love watching the spanish soaps. I need to get this language understood.
@tad1fan (3373)
Keep watching......you'll grasp it!
I would think it is one of the "easier" ways of learning a language. That said though, learning a language is never easy. Few are born with that natural flair that enables him to pick up a language effortlessly. Most of us have to struggle with even our native tongue. If you apply discipline, I think you should be able to pick up at least decent phrases. If you try to understand the language and use the aid of subtitles in your native language, I think it will help.
Thats the best I could do. Thanks so much. :)
Thanks for br. :)
I also watch the Spanish language stations and find it very difficult to learn Spanish that way. I find the best way to grasp the language is to be around people who speake it. I work with many people from Guatemola, Puerto Rico, Hondourus and other Spanish speaking countries At first we barely spoke to each other because they didn't understand English, so I just began learning the basics such as the numbers, days of the week, words for work, etc. Now we communicate all day long and it's getting better everyday. And they love when I give them the English translation. Lloyd
I'll be moving soon I hope to move where I'll have more Spanish speaking friends. :)
@mschiqui (1284)
i guess, if you are watching a spanish movies or shows, in some way we can understand some but best way to really understand it and learn it is to have a dictionary..spanish dictiionary translated to english as the meaning.
Reading the word is one thing sounding it out properly is the hard part.
If you hear the language and are exposed to it often you will pick it up. My husband is Dutch and doesn't speak much of it. The words I managed to pick up only the bad words!
That seems to be all most people pick up. My daughter knows the bad words in creole and Spanish.
Well my son has learned how to say some Spanish words by watching Dora the Explorer so I know it's possible. But she tells them what the English word for it is too. So I don't know how easy it would be to learn another language if they don't tell you what the English word is for it.
I have also learned some words from Dora. :) but her vocabulary only goes so far. I watch it with my daughter. I can't figure out what they say with no help on the Spanish channel I even tried closed caption. I can't get it on those channels. :)