How often do they change the rules at My Lot?

When I joined My Lot a month ago, I read the rules as instructed, and thought I was well informed of the do's and don'ts of posting discussions. But, then the other day one of the My Lot friends mentioned that it was against the rules to post jokes on the site. That was certainly news to me. Not as if I'd actually post jokes, though. I don't have any! So, yesterday I went back and reread the My Lot rules, just to be sure I hadn't missed anything. And, sure enough, there are at least three new rules since my first joining. Did you know that you can't start a discussion by posting a recipe? You heard right! I did not know that. Maybe they figure that recipes are the easy way out and not really a conversation starter. I have no problem with that, because I don't have any recipes to share. I'm assuming that it's OK to start a post asking for a particular recipe. I've done that before, and noone seemed to have a problem. If I might speculate for a minute, I think the My Lot people simply want the discussions to be more interactive. That's fine with me. Apparently, this is just one of the newer My Lot rules. Has anyone noticed that there are new rules? How often does My Lot update their rules? Would love to know, so that I can remember to check back often. Don't want to be a rule breaker! What about you?
@cynddvs (2950)
That's interesting. I honestly haven't checked the rules in a few months. I'm going to have to go back and read over them again. That's weird about the whole joke thing. There is a whole interest on sharing jokes. But like you I have none to share so this is not an issue for me. I'm curious to see how many rule I've been breaking lol.
@ryanphil01 (4186)
that's new to me about rules pertaining to discussions on jokes and recipes. i tried reading the rules again but i haven't seen them in the guidelines. would you mind showing me the link on what particular section it says that you can't start discussions by posting jokes and recipes? i just want to be sure of these before telling this to my other fiends here in mylot. what would happen to the section or interest about cooking then? how about funny stories as part of the life section?
now i have just read the updated guidelines of mylot. i have read what you were talking earlier here. thanks for sharing the information.
DON'T' post jokes, recipes, ETC. as discussions. This is a form of abuse and all recipes and jokes will be deleted if they are started as a discussion.' This is the guideline mylot is trying to say to us, but what does exactly this 'ETC' mean? What topics are to be covered by this ETC?
@wachit14 (3600)
When I joined those rules were not in effect. People would post too many jokes and recipes which had nothing to do with having an interactive discussion. I think this was an important step for them and I do know some people said that they were warned not to post jokes or recipes. I do think it would be helpful to update members regularly about rule changes. I don't like breaking the rules either, but I haven't posted any jokes ever. I have posted a recipe or two, but only in response to a question about how to prepare something.
@Calais (10900)
I will have to go in and check the rules again myself. Because I thought that you cannot post any referal links to other paying sites, and every second discussion is just that. And they have not been deleted, but when I did the exact same thing not long ago mine got deleted....Ummm it makes you think.
@marinarovi (1318)
• Argentina
Now I have to re-read the rules!! Just in case, I mean. I don't want to be a rule braker either!!
@castleghost (1304)
Like you I read the rules when I first started here on mylot. I guess I never thought about them changing the rules. I will need to go back and reread the rules for mylot. I think that they should have sent everyone a notice to let them know that they had changed the rules so that everyone could take a moment to make sure that they are following the guidelines. If they just change them without notice it will make it hard for everyone to stay within the guidelines.
Think I will have to read the rules all over again. I didn't realize they had changed that much. Thank you for the information. I don't want to be a rule breaker either.
@bobbyjoe143 (1287)
i have only ever read the rules here the once, i think i will have to pop and have a look at these new ones... i assumed that mylot would be like any other forum i have used, they have rules and the rules stay constant. obviously i was wrong. i think the reason why the posting of jokes is not allowed may be due to the fact that there are alot of jokes that are offensive in so many ways, that it can't be tolerated. as for the recipies, that may be due to the fact that they are mostly copied and pasted from elsewhere on the web, and generally mylot want for us to interject our own things into discussions, not just pasted stuff from other places.
@aleeming1 (163)
I have no idea. I am still new to the site. lol
@whyaskq (7532)
Beats me. I do checkout the rules if I have any doubt over rules when I read discussions.However your discussion trigger a thought in my mind. We might need to regularly checkout mylot guidelines to be updated. Perhaps it would be more effective if myLot post an alert when it updates the rules and guidelines.
@KrauseHome (35533)
I have heard that they made this New Ruling recently due to one of my Referals mentioning this in one of her discussions. Luckily I did not loose her as a Good referal to where she chose to quit responding on here. Maybe this is something we all need to consider doing is go and Re-read the Rules and make sure we are sticking within the Rules when we start New discussions to make sure none of our Discussions end up by breaking the Rules as well.
@lilaclady (28240)
I had noticed there hadn't been many recipes posted lately to be honest my printer was running hot when I first started I got a lot of very good recipes and hints for various things. I am glad you posted this you may have saved a lot of people from losing points because I guess there would be a few who are unaware of the new rule and if they posted and others answered they could lose points if that discussion was deleted, so thank you for the update, very much appreciated.
To be honest, it seems they changed that particular rule back and forth. When I joined, it was in the rules. Then later a poster told another poster jokes were against the rules and that first poster said it wasn't true. So I went back to the guidelines. And no jokes were mentioned to be taboo. Then I read them again when an alert was sent that they had changed, and no jokes were back in the guidelines. It's enough to think something is wrong with me, not them.
• Janesville, Wisconsin
Well, the least mylot should do is at least alert the members of any rules or guideline changes... Otherwise.. it is not very fair to the members at all.. - DNatureofDTrain