Do you give some money tips to your kid for errands?

@1qazxsw2 (512)
Singapore
My mum used to give me some money when I ran errands for her when I was a kid. Errands like massaging her back, buying groceries from the shops etc. Just enough to spend on sweets and candies. I wonder if this was right. Now that I have my own kid, I wonder if he will ask for some to run errands for me when he is older.
• Marion, Kansas
I gave my kids a small allowance whether they did anything extra or not. We all had jobs we did, Me, as the mom, and they as the kids.We were all part of the family, so we all had part of the family income. Now if I began requiring extra jobs that they could turn down if they wanted to do, then they earned more when they did them. Their job, for instance, was to unload the dishwasher, set the table, take out trash. I gave them a certain amount. When I started a home daycare and their work quadrupled, I gave them a whole lot more money. Giving children a set allowance they can count on helps them develop good spending habits, and saving habits.
@1qazxsw2 (512)
Thanks for the advice. My kid is 5 yr old. Soon he will know the power of money..Hope he will be be money wise. I don't know about giving him too much? How much is too much to begin with?
• Marion, Kansas
Partly it depends on what you can afford, and also on what you want to teach. I would not give him more than a dollar a week at 5 years old, and I would share with you something I learned long after my kids were grown. You give your child a certain amount, but teach him or her to divide it. Say if it is one dollar, teach them to save one tenth, give one tenth, and enjoy the rest. The author that talked about this that I read first even wrote on the little boxes, "Save one tenth, give one tenth, and spend the rest with thanksgiving and joy." At five years old, your child should probably not be running to the store by himself to spend. I do not know your society, but the give one tenth could be to any good charity or need.
@asmurthy (2464)
Why not give some money to kids who do some errands for you. It is good practice and the kids earn their own money and spend it as they like it. It is also helpful to elders to use the kids.