Why are monsters always green?

Think of the Swamp Thing, Grinch that stole Christmas and Shrek, and you'll see what I mean. Who in the world decided that monsters should be green? This is one of the weird monster trivia bits that I find myself pondering over as I watch horror and sci-fi movies lately. What about you? What questions puzzle your mind about your favorite movie monsters? Got questions or observations about Godzilla or Frankenstein or any other movie monsters? Please share them, so we can discuss.
@tinamwhite (3255)
There are many green monsters that I have great appreciation for...BUT I never realized that so many of them were green...until I read this post....LOL Sometimes, I think I wake up in a new world everyday...because some things are so slow to dawn on my brain....LOL
I didn't notice it until my three year old daughter pointed it out. Her two favorite monsters are the Grinch and Shrek. Two polar bear opposites. LOL!
I too love the Grinch and Shrek....thanks so much for awarding me with the best response....
@raychill (6530)
Here's an answer to why are movie monsters always green... it's just my theory. Jealousy... is known as the Green-Eyed Monster. A lot of times the reason monsters are "monsters" is because they want something more than they have. Shrek wanted people to appreciate him for him and not hate him just because he was an Ogre. Grinch was jealous of the Whos down in Whoville who were always happy and loving with each other. While he was stuck being all alone and didn't know how to join in with the whos. Frankenstein didn't ask to be created and just wanted a friend. Jealousy... the green in all Monsters. But then again, how do we explain Yoda.
What an interesting viewpoint....now why didn't I think of that??? LOL
@raychill (6530)
Ha Ha. It's not something I ever really thought about before either. But I was just thinking about it and realized Jealousy was green. It'd be interesting if that was the reason!