By Popular Request And For Those Who Like Lavender...

Lavender Afternoon Tea - Lavender Scone Tea, a yummy summer eat.
@Darkwing (21588)
Lavender is probably my most favourite herb, for its versatility in treating ailments, and for its taste in foods. Lavender and Honey also play a big part in Summer Solstice celebrations, so I decided to make some lavender scones and lavender honey butter for both my friend and I to use in ours this year. This, I mentioned in my previous discussion, http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1158474.aspx, and I am now being asked to post the recipe for these. So, for those of you who are interested in making these delicious teatime treats, and to save me repeating it in every response, here are the said recipes. You will notice I've done one in ounces and one in grammes, but if you need to convert grammes to ounces, there are approximately 28 grammes to 1 ounce, and 454 grammes to 1 pound. If I may, I will leave that to you. lol. My scales show both ounces and grammes, so with a bit of luck, so will yours.:-) LAVENDER BUTTER 8oz Butter (softened) 4 teaspoons Pure Honey (clear) 4 teaspoons Lavender Buds (finely chopped or pulsed) Blend all the ingredients together, either with a wooden spoon, or in a mixer. Spoon into a storage jar and it's ready to use. (A small mayonnaise jar is ideal, or some other small container with an airtight lid) You might want to store this in the refrigerator but remember to take it out and allow it to soften it before you use it. LAVENDER SCONES (Makes 6-8 Scones depending on size) Preheat oven to 425F/220C - adjust for fan assisted ovens. 180g All Purpose Flour (unbleached or wholeweat is best) 3 tspns baking powder 1/2 tspn salt 50g Sugar 240ml/240g Sour Cream 1 tspn dried lavender buds (chopped) Mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Add the sour cream and stir until all the ingredients are moistened. On a floured surface, knead the dough gently for about 8-10 times, then roll to 3/4 inch thick and cut rounds. Lift each scone onto a lightly greased baking sheet, and brush the top of each with milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Spread with lavender honey butter, and enjoy. Scones are quite nice when still slightly warm, but cold, are equally as good. The Lavender Honey Butter is also delicious on toast, so you don't have to keep baking scones in order to use it up. Naturally, the storage time for this yummy spread is similar to the life of normal butter, and in an airtight jar, possibly a bit longer. I hope you enjoy baking and indeed, consuming these scones... they are a great addition to the normal ones we have with strawberry jam, strawberries and cream, and as you probably know, lavender is good for us, internally. Lavender, as rose petals, can be used in a number of recipes; rose petal jam being another nice additive to the lavender scone at teatime, but there's another story! lol. Happy munching!
@mummymo (23707)
I have never, ever tasted lavender Darkwing honey but I look forward to making and tasting these when I get a chance! Thank you so much for posting sweets - now rose petal jam sounds REALLY interesting! xxx
@Darkwing (21588)
Yes, doesn't it? It seems quite difficult to make though. You can also infuse rose petals and lavender into honey, and make lavender or rose petal ice cream. Sound delicious, don't they? I was a lavender virgin until those scones, but I really enjoyed them. Take care... love and hugs. xx
@mummymo (23707)
mmm rose petal ice cream! I have always loved the scent of rose petals since we used to make it into perfumes in jars of water when we were little! lol xxx
@Darkwing (21588)
I think mainly dog rose petals are used in cooking, Mummymo, you know, the hedgerow type. Did you know also that bramble flowers are considered roses? I was going to go out and collect some last week, for use in the kitchen, but I fear now that the wind and rain has ruined them all. Still, they might come out again... who knows? xx
Hello Darkwing, I am a new mylot member and discovered your site today...and I really like your Avatar. The artwork is very similar to my favorite artist Susan Seddem Boulet. Calendars with her art are marketed in Canada, the U.K. and U.S.A. by Pomegrannate Catalogs. She always represents a connection to each other and all aspects of the natural world. If you are not familiar with her work you might want to check it out. Sadly, she passed away a few years ago but the beauty of her soul lives on within her symbolic art. Now on to your current discussion...Lavender is also one of my favorite herbs and I appreciate the recipe you offered and will try it with the lavender I grow in my garden. I was looking over your posted discussions responses and feel a resonance with how you view things. You are putting out some interesting 'perspectives' and I look foward to further participation.
@Darkwing (21588)
Thank you for your informative comment on my avatar, Perspectives. I shall most certainly look at Susan Seddem Boulet's artwork, as I too love this kind of work. I'm also glad you liked the sound of the recipe and yes, the lavender grown in your garden will be fine, probably even better. I like lavender's versatility. It can be used in cooking as well as a remedy for many ailments, and I think it's one of the best herbs to be found. Thank nature and life for my discussions, my friend. That's where they're all drawn from. I have a great love for life and nature, which I suppose is indicative of my beliefs. Please do participate further. I like your style! :) Brightest Blessings.
I don't know how I missed your response...here we are a month later and we've come so far in our understanding of who we are. Whenever this best response was posted...I appeciate it. So much more so because of the level of respect I have for who you are, what you do and your wonderful spirituality. Thank you...your extension of friendship towards me is a gift that keeps on giving. Light filled blessings coming your way.
@Darkwing (21588)
I only awarded my best responses a couple of days ago, because they were mounting up, my friend. I like to leave them for a while, so that newcomers have the opportunity of joining in before I resolve the discussion. Brightest Blessings for a lovely evening.
Oh, I am so glad you posted these, as I had intended to ask for them. I have never eaten lavender, I guess I did not realize it was a culinary herb. If it does not come in a jar at the grocery, I have not experienced it. I assume that this is fresh lavender, not the dried kind for potpourri. Do the leaves work as well? I just purchased a small pot of lavender the other night, and have not even moved it to a larger pot, yet. For another question: can you do the same with the roses, substituting them into the honey, or the scones? I have used a very simple scone recipe at the preschool when we did food experience. Actually your recipe sounded very simple indeed. Thanks for sharing with us. Thanks for doing the gram to ounce conversions for us too.
@Darkwing (21588)
Lol... I can see you spending all the time your hubby's at work in the kitchen, experimenting, my friend! :-) Keen is NOT the word! lol. It's dried lavender, Gerty, but you can harvest your own once it's established, dry it out and store it in airtight containers ready for use. I buy mine from a UK herbal store, ready dried and bagged, by post, but it is available quite widely on EBay. You can even chop some up, perhaps in a coffee grinder or blender, or if you like hard work with a pestle and mortar, or as I did, with a stone, through the smallest cheesegrater plate. Then, you can store it ready for use. As for the rose petals, you can make rose petal honey, and if they're edible ones, I don't see why you can't substitute the lavender with them. I'll have to try that myself... what a good idea!!! Thank you. :-) You're quite welcome to a share of the recipe. In fact, it would be nice to know what you think of them when they're done. I thought they were excellent, but then, tastes differ I guess. Lavender kind of tastes like it smells but it has a slightly mint taste to it. It's difficult to explain. You can make ice cream, biscuits (or cookies), garlic and lavender butter, lavender tea, even lavender sugar... all manner of things from it and it's very beneficial to us internally, as are rose petals, of course. Brightest Blessings and happy baking!
Oh, if it is dried, I am fairly certain I can get it at the local health food store. Actually, Wal Mart has the dried, but I am sure alternative shops are better quality. Hubby says he would try it.
@Darkwing (21588)
Great! I don't find it at health stores here, so I have to go further afield, but good luck with it anyway and I'm glad to hear that hubby is willing to give it a whirl! Brightest Blessings.
@weemam (13377)
my Mum used to have lavender and mint in her garden and I used to pick some and rub it in my fingers to smell it but I honestly didn't know you could use it for things like this , I knew it could be dried and hung up for the smell , so thank you my friend for the brilliant ideas xxx
@Darkwing (21588)
You're very welcome. I think you'd be quite surprised at how nice lavender tastes. We all know about the taste of mint, but not a lot of people know about lavender I guess. Brightest Blessings.xx
@weemam (13377)
Thanks pal I will have to give it a try xxxx
@gabs8513 (48715)
Ok I will wait till you come to me and bake them you know I am absolutely useless at baking (blush) so I rather wait for you to come and make them lol I mean I might put Gissi in the cooker by accident and we do not want that now do we Hugs
@Darkwing (21588)
No, we do NOT want baked Gissi, thank you! Poor little thing... no wonder he runs around like crazy whenever you go to the kitchen! ha ha ha
@kayrod2 (1304)
These sound so delicious, darkwing. I will have to try them. I love scones, especially fresh home made ones. best wishes to you, darkwing
@Darkwing (21588)
You're so very welcome Kayrod. I hope you enjoy the results as much as I did. You can, of course, add cream, or creme fraiche to them, to cut the sweetness of the lavender honey butter. That's a matter of choice, but however you take them... enjoy, my friend. Brightest Blessings.