Rice and Beans recipe?

I desperately want to learn to make a really good rice and beans dish. This dish is both affordable and healthy. Plus it makes a great side dish, or dish to being to a pot luck (we have many of those at work). Would anyone be willing to share a tried and true, family tested recipe that's always a hit? Thanks!
@irishmist (3820)
I would have to get the exact recipe from my daughter, but she makes awesome rice & beans. I know that you need Goya kidney beans, white long grain rice, onion, green bell pepper, fresh garlic, goya sofrito. She make the sauce in a pan, and cooks the rice in the micorave. She does not mix the sauce into the rice. you pour it over the rice, and it's so good. It's even good the second day. If you would like I will ask her for the exact recipe.
@irishmist (3820)
I think she adds some tomato sauce well.
I would love that recipe! That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I love sofrito! It's so tastey. Thanks so much :-)
@irishmist (3820)
This is my daughters recipe. 1 onion diced 1 green bell pepper diced Fresh garlic ( to taste) 1 package sazon 1 teaspoon oregano 3 tablespoons sofrito 2 small cans goya tomato sauce Red Kidney beans drained ( regular size can) Saute the onions, peppers & garlic in a little water, in a saucepan till tender. Add the beans, sauce, oregano, sazon & sofrito. simmer till heated well. Meantime cook the rice. We microwave it. Then just pour the sauce over the rice.
@Sharon38 (1916)
• Jamaica
i could give you the recipe that we use here in Jamaica only thing you would codfish with it. Boil the codfish to get rid of extra salt. Then flake it - break it in smaller pieces. Prepare the codfish by sauteeing your seasonings - onion etc then add the codfish. After stirring for about three minutes you add your bean (tinned) and let is simmer for another two minutes. This is very delicious and goes well with any other dishes.
@miamilady (4924)
This isn't my "family recipe" it's a link to a recipe, but it's close to the way my mother makes black beans. Black beans on top of white rice is a very common side dish in Cuban cooking. Good luck with your cooking. http://www.tasteofcuba.com/sopafrijolesnegros.html Take care
@wdiong (1818)
Try this :Bean & Rice Burritos 28 oz water-packed pinto beans - drained, and rinsed 1 cup cooked brown rice, -or- up to double this a 1 dash chili powder 1 dash garlic powder 1 dash cumin 3/4 cup water 6 tortillas TOPPINGS 1 head iceberg lettuce - chopped and, dried 1 bunch scallions, chopped 1 ripe tomato, chopped 1 mexican salsa Place the beans in a saucepan and mash with a potato masher. Add the cooked rice, spices, and water. Heat 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Heat the tortillas quickly (just to soften) in a preheated skillet, toaster oven, or microwave. Place a line of bean mixture down the middle of each tortilla. Top with lettuce, scallions, tomato, and salsa. Tuck in the top and bottom edges, roll into a burrito, and serve immediately, topped with additional salsa if desired.