Help! I'm getting bit by mosquitos

Where we live the mosquito problem is horrible. But, I don't usually have anti-itch cream on hand when I get bit. Do you have a natural homemade remedy for mosquito bites that would work in a pinch? Would appreciate your help!
this may sound crazy but toothpaste helps with mosquito bites. It takes away the itch quick. Just remember to ipe it off befoe going ouut in public becaus people will give you crazy looks.
Toothpaste? Is that true? I must try that one out.
@wachit14 (3600)
Garlic is a very good mosquito repellent, but it smells awful. Another, more pleasant alternative is to mix at least one tablespoon of vanilla extract with a cup of water. Put it in a spray bottle and spray yourself with it. Mosquitos don't like vanilla and if you leave a litte out in dishes around your house it will keep them away.
I love your frugal home remedies. Must try one out soon.
@aretha (2538)
the are really bad this year. my two youngest and i have been all bit up. i have been using bug spray and it does help some but we are still getting bit. i have not tried it yet but someone said to use viniger and that will take the itch away. i am gonna have to try the tooth paste one though that would smell much better.
@kelly60 (4548)
There are a couple of remedies that might help Toothpaste - be sure to use the paste, not the gel - it should relieve the itch as it dries Baking soda and water paste, glop it on the bite and let it dry. Again, it should relieve the itch as it dries. If you are in the middle of nowhere, and have nothing with you, a bit of mud will sometimes help in a pinch ;P
@tinamwhite (3255)
My Granny used to make a paste out of baking soda and water...it did make them feel better...I carry a handy little pen-like benadryl for such occassions...my son seems to attract pesky critters that like to bite...LOL Good luck...hope this helps, sweetie....Don't scratch...it will make it worse....