i have noticed lately that more people are wearing earphones/headphones

@cher913 (25891)
on public transit...is this just another occurance that isolates us from our neighbours? It seems that we are becoming more and more estranged from our neighbours...how many of you know all the people that live around you? not me to be sure!
I know most of them, but it's different. We live near the university that my wife went to, so a lot of our neighbors are former or current classmates, so it's pretty easy for us to get to know everyone in the neighborhood. I am one of those people who wear headphones on public transit. They help me block out any ambient noises and relax on the way and coming from work. It's just the way I enjoy my rides to work.
@munhozmib (3857)
• Sao Paulo, Brazil
Yes, more and more people are wearing earphones/headphones... This number increases everyday. People, nowadays, need to relax to relieve stress, and they find in music a great way to do so. Also, I think it's better to wear earphones than to turn the sound on loud so everyone hears it... People complain a lot about this kind of person. The problem is that sometimes people turn the sound too loud, and they can't hear if someone yells "Pass me the money or die", or if some accident happen... They just get turned off from the real world.
I certainly don't know everyone that lives around me, but I know for one, I really don't like going anywhere by myself. It's just an odd feeling. I think people use the headphones so they can listen to music that they like so they aren't so anxious about the ride. It just gives people something to do I think. It's better than looking out the window the entire time.
@mimatexas (1835)
I barely know one family in my neighborhood. To the other neighbors I just say Good Morning/afternoon and wave at them when I see them outside and that's about it. I don't know who is who.
We recently moved to a new city, and we have only met two of our neighbors (they live together). The residents in our building pretty much keep to themselves, so I'm not surprised we haven't met more. As for earphones on public transit, I have recently started doing this, since I take the bus to and from work every day. Part of my reason for doing it is because I'm still half asleep in the morning, and the music helps to get me going. I also do it because I would much rather just keep to myself while I'm on the bus. So I am doing it to isolate myself from the rest of the world. That's just my personal preference in general, though. I am shy and don't like to make small talk with strangers.
@nicolec (2673)
This drive me nuts. Do they know how dangerous this is? to have your head so closed off from what is going on around you? there is a girl here at work who constantly has her head phones on and everytime I talk to her about work things, she doesn't hear me. I'm constantly repeating myself and trying to get her attention. It's like these people are in their own little world and nothing else around them matters.