I don't understand why they don't just take it out!

My father-in-law is 92. He has cancer in his prostate that grows to block his urinary tract. This is the second time in about a years' time that they have gone in to clear enough of the prostate that it releaves the pressure. So why don't they just take out his prostate? The only function of the prostate is to produce seminal fluid, right? Well, at 92 does he really need seminal fluid so badly that it is worth have surgery every year? I don't get it. Anybody know anything about it? Couldn't they just remove the prostate?
@MsTickle (25006)
I found a couple of sites for you. Perhaps his age is an added complication http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/prostateremoval/PR_whatis.html http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002996.htm Best wishes to you and your family.
Wow. Thanks. That was really thoughtful of you. The first one was the most helpful, easier to understand. I thought of another factor that may have been considered. He is also diabetic, so healing is slower. I learned last night that he is home from the hospital and doing quite well. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness.
@MsTickle (25006)
You are very welcome sweety. I "heard" your love, care and concern and I had to help you. I'm glad to hear he is going along well.
@vonne28th (1494)
It may be just because your father-in-law is too old to get a major surgery that it sometimes creates more problems when done. Our grannys' bodies is very weak that some can't help the operations. I know his doctors has it's reason why he/she can't allow any operation to the patient.
You may be right. Although they used a general anesthetic for what they did on Saturday, removal might be a longer and more dangerous surgery. I don't really think that when he had the first surgery a year ago and diagnosed the cancer that they thought he would live this long. When they diagnosed the cancer they predicted he had three or four months to live. That was over a year ago and this is the first episode of symptoms.
Honestly, it's too risky for them to even be doing any surgery. Given his age, they should just let him live out the rest of his life.
They do the surgery because he gets to where he can't empty his bladder and the pain is extreme. The surgery relieves the pain until it grows again. Just seems to me it would be easier to just take the thing out.