If you are from a warm or temperate climate

I have two questions for you. If this is your warm season, are you using an air conditioner regularly? Again, if this is your warm season, like it is for me, from May to September, the hottest being July and August, what is the latest in the year you have worn winter sleep clothes? I do not like to pay the high electric bills, so I only sporadically have used a/c so far. Mostly because of humidity. I am getting "soft" though, as I used to never turn it on until July 4. LOL. The first time I visited the upper peninsula of Michigan with my husband it was July 7. I got so cold at night, we had to buy me a flannel night gown. We found one at the only store in town with clothes, the Ben Franklin. Actually, that same gown felt pretty good week before last, when we went to bed with a fan in the window. Tell me about your heating and cooling experiences.
@mimatexas (1835)
Here in the southwest area of Texas is very hot, especially during the months of May through September and sometimes October. I use the central a/c all the time because I can't stand the hot weather. I rarely use winther sleep clothes because it's not too cold here.
Kansas is hot, and sticky, too. We had snow in April this year, and then in May we ended up with temperatures in the 80's Crazy year.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
This is our warm season in upper Ohio. It's been in the mid 80's and up to the 90's the past week or so. I don't use an air conditioner at all. I hate air conditioning, I always get a migraine when I'm around one for more than a little while. I don't use the one in my car either for the same reason. I have a couple of different circulation disorders, so, even when it's hot outside I usually sleep with something warmer on (I always get cold while I'm sleeping, lol) I don't use a fan much either, and when I do, it's aimed out the window taking the hot air and pushing it outside. Last week it was into the lower 70's and I was sleeping with the window part way open, I actually got up and stuck on winter pjs and stuck a blanket over me. I get chilled really easily as I'm getting older.
I like to sleep cold enough that I want a blanket. At this time we do not have working a/c in our upstairs, so it is still fans. I like the moving air from a small fan even in the winter. I used to get headaches from a/c because it would cause the muscles in my neck to tighten up badly.
@Anniedup (3652)
• Richards Bay, South Africa
Summer in my home town Richards Bay is a 'frying' experience to say the least! With temperatures starting early October from 38C (100F) right through to February, peaking 45C (113F) All the houses here in Richards Bay have air conditioners as standard equipment. Without them it would be impossible to live here. The humidity pushes up the discomfort level to dangerous levels. It is not unusual for schools to close in February, and any sport activities are banned. The best is to get up as early in the morning and get any physical chores done, before the heat sets in. Then by 11 12 o'clock close all the windows and curtains, as to ensure the heat doesn't come in and then put the air conditioners on. Winters are very mild with temperature hardly reaching 16C (60F)
The temperatures you list are similar to Arizona, but the humidity is not. I find that is what is the most trying about summers.
@smacksman (6074)
I have happy memories of Durban but not so happy memories of the heat/humidity!
@Anniedup (3652)
• Richards Bay, South Africa
When were you in Durban, do you have family there! Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but it is always so nice to stumble into someone who has been to SA. Richards Bay is 280km away from Durban.
@smacksman (6074)
We are having a cool spell in the UK at the moment with temps in the low 60'sF but normally it is the low 70's F which is just perfect. Last year it went up to the 90's for a week or 10 days which suited me because I can strip off to keep cool. I would hate it if I had to travel to/from work in a suit. We don't have enough hot spells to warrent air conditioning so that saves us a lot of money even though we get a bit overheated sometimes. When it gets really hot do you increase the thermostat on the aircon so that the temperature differential stays at about 10 degrees F inside/outside or do you set it at 70 F no matter if it is 100F outside?
At this point, I just sporadically use the a/c in the daytime, if I am home, and the fan does not help. If it is up to me it goes to no lower than 76 degrees farenheit. I think I have more trouble with the humidity, if I were to tell the truth. We are just using fans in the upstairs, and I do not usually go up there until it has cooled down outside. I do have a room size a/c we will be using later this summer upstairs.
@smacksman (6074)
You are right, humidity is the worst because the 'wet' air stops our sweat from evaporating and so stops it's cooling effect which is why we sweat in the first place! A true aircon unit dries the air as well because cold air cannot contain as much moisture as hot air so that is why you will see the drain outlet of the unit dripping water that it has removed from the air. I say 'a true aircon unit' meaning one with a compressor like on a fridge. In the UK some so-called airconditioning units work on the evaporation principle (like our sweat!) and are just as useless in humid conditions as our sweat is and for the same reason.
When I was young we had evaporative coolers. I believe hog farmers use them in their farrowing houses here in Kansas, too. My grandparents did not even use that until the 1970's, and they lived in Southeast Oklahoma. They just used fans, and moved all of the beds outside in the summer.
@jennybianca (12914)
I am in the cold season. I am trying to save electricty bills, & the environment. My policy is to wear thick clothes, especially jumpers. Now the problem is my husband, who tends to think that it is better to run the heater on low all day. So, if he is home, the heater may get turned on at 7.00am, & not turned off until we all go to bed, which could be around 10.30. hats a long time to run a heater. If I am home on my own, like today, I will turn on the heater when I first get up (4.00am today)& turn it off when I leave home (4.30am). My husband would then get up at 5.40 am & turn the heater back on. He would leave it on when he leaves for work at around 6.30am. Then when I leave to take my daughter to school at 8.00 am, I turn it off agaion. I am leaving iot off until I get too cold. So as you can see, hubby & I have different ideas about heating.
That is a picture of how our air conditioning use is in the daytime, or when hubby is home. I turn it down a little bit, for a while, but then back up to shut it off. I put up with the heat, or turn on the fans, and off the lights.
@speakeasy (4215)
Once again, our temperature is above 110 degrees and it will stay there or go higher until some time in Sept. In my office and in my car, I use the a/c to keep temps reasonable. At home, we use an evaporative cooler instead of a/c. We have a big a/c unit; but, we found out running it increased our electic bill by an extra $100.00 per WEEK. ($400.00 EXTRA per month) So, we never use it now. We do have a couple of small window a/c units that we use when the temp is in the 120's just for sleeping; because the evap cooler can only cool the outside air by 20 - 30 degrees. Sleeping, when I get too cold, I just add more covers. I do not change my "sleepwear". I just add another blanket and another blanket and ......; until I am comfortable. Of course, since I have a waterbed I also increase and decrease the temperature to help out.
Well, I can see that my winter sleeping clothes do not pertain to you. In winter we also use a heated mattress pad. much less expensive than turning up the furnace.
It is hot, hot and humid here. It is the humidity that gets me. I can stand hot pemerature but not the horribe humidity. I always have it on all night from about May, I like to sleep cool so I dont wear winter night clothes very often. I keep my A/c at 82F so my electric bills are not nearly as high as my neighbors. My best friend's house is like an ice box and her bills are sky high.
82 is not bad. It would be fairly economical. I set mine around that for most of the day. We have some kind of power problem with our second story thermostat, so we are just using the fans at night. When it gets too bad for that, we have a room a/c that we will use.
@webeishere (36353)
Well I live in Minnesota. We have had snow in late May. So it's ever changing weather. I have bronchial asthma so when it gets humid I NEED the a/c on all the time. I can't breathe well with high humidty. It's like my chest gets compressed and I have an attack not being able to catch my breath. I don't worry about my electric bill. Now winter sleepwear. HAHAHA! Okay I never wear pajamas excpet running around the house. Even in the winter I sleep bare azz nekid. HAHAHA! I hate clothes actually. And I do not use a lot of blankets when I sleep in the coldness of winter. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
I agree that the humidity is the worst. I am thankful that I do not have any breathing disorders, but I know I should knock on wood. Wouldn't life be simpler if it were more clothing optional?
@dana234 (2116)
• Spain
We never had an air conditioner installed where I live. Even though it is the hot season here in Spain, I only have fans in the bedrooms where it gets rather hot. Well, my husband gets too hot, I could sleep without the fans. I don´t mind the heat (as long as it´s not excessive). There´s no need for a fan in any other place of the flat, because of the good situation it´s enough to open the windows. In all the other places where I lived, I had air conditioning, but never really used it. It´s not healthy and if possible I prefer to go without it. Mind you, if the temperature rises up to 40 degrees C it´s a different story.
@arcidy (5016)
Well I do live in a warm climate just like you it usually starts getting hot like at the end of june like it is now and last up to september well I use my aircondition a lot because I get hot easily and its uncomfortible so I need it and I where boxers and a shirt to bed all year long lol.
@laridbz (1287)
I'm from Brazil, and in the part of the country I live in here, we have around 9 or 10 months of warm weather and 2 or 3 of cold. We're actually in our winter, but it's currently not cold here. Answering your questions, no, I don't use air conditioners. We have only one at home, not in my bedroom. I don't like them very much, as they get the air too dry, and I find it a little difficult to breathe. I have a ceiling fan in my room, and it works fine to me. And winter sleep clothes? What's that??? Hahahaha! Seriously, I don't wear them. I just get some extra blankets if it's cold and I'm fine. :)
@charms88 (7541)
The last time I experienced cold winter season was ages ago, LOL. It was that time when I was still working in another country alone. My country is situated in the tropics and the weather here are mostly hot and humid. Summertime is over (March to May) and the weather is a little bearable now. We are entering rainy season which helps to make the air a little cooler. We have no choice but to turn on the air condition every night and 2 hours during the afternoon. The hot weather is really suffocating at times. And what do we need to deal? An electricity bill that seems to keep increasing every month.