Do you IM people on your contact list when they come online?

@TriciaW (2441)
I have lots of people on my IMs but I really don't message them when they come on. I figure if they want to talk to me they will message me. What do you do on your IMs? Do you message them right away or wait for them to message you? How do you feel about someone like me who doesn't ever message first?
I used to be an IM fanatic but I have since stopped. I don't even go there anymore since I wouldn't want to talk to anyone. But before that, I only IM people when I have things to say to them. I do know some people like to push a message just to say hi. I thought this is plain silly unless you have more to say than just hi.
i only IM people if its my family come online, Most of my contacts now are people who are probally busy with blogs, cash back sites or other stuff, so unless i have a question that they may be able to answer, then no i will not IM them. I have no feelings if a person does not IM me first, im sure when and if they want to chat, they will IM.
When I see someone come online, on my messenger I will generally let them message me first, unless I am really needing to talk to someone and none of my friends here are around or available to talk to. I kind of feel as if I am intruding on them, when I message them first, as they are just coming online.
I don't have that many people on my IM list and the ones that log in generally don't bother me. If they did, I would have to either put them on ignore or put the busy sign up. I usually don't like to be bothered when I'm online. If I really need to talk to someone, then I will.