Paperback or hardcover books?

@muscare (3069)
Australia
If you are like me, you probably prefer hardcovers but the majority of your books are paperbacks, because of the difference in price. I know the quality is so much better with a hardcover, but when you can buy three or more paperbacks for the same price, it does make it hard to buy a hardcover. So, which do you prefer, and which do you have?
@dbhattji (2507)
Yes I can only afford paperbacks, but if I wantto preserve a book I make it a point to get the hard cover version. I have some very special books in original hard cover that I value very much.
@muscare (3069)
The few hardcovers that I have I treat even more carefully, if that's possible, than the rest of my books, maybe because of the extra cost. They do look good on the book shelf though!
@dbhattji (2507)
Yes they look good in the glass covered showcase, specially those with gold embossing. Did you know that some interior decorators use them for decoration purpose only, knowing full well that the owners will never read them.
@muscare (3069)
I think that is a waste of a book, personally.
@Tanya8 (1734)
I have to say I prefer paperbacks all round. I have small hands, and they often cramp up when I'm trying to read a hardcover in a comfortable position. The only time I ever feel that they're manageable is when I'm half-way through the book. Near the beginning or ending, there's the annoyance of having to balance the thick bulky side, and a thin side that seems to naturally want to slam shut all the time. I can't count how many times I've been trying to read in bed, and have had a hard cover smack me in the face, as I my wrist on the heavy side of the book gives out. I also like the fact that I can fit more paperbacks onto my bookshelves. We're running out of space in the house for my books, so I've agreed with my husband to pare down my collection, and only keep the ones that I like the most, but I keep falling in love with new ones, and the space on the shelves is getting tighter and tighter.
@muscare (3069)
That makes me laugh, thinking about the book smacking you in the face, lol! I agree that the hardcovers do cramp your hands, and make for a hard time reading in bed! I don't think I'll ever run out of room for books, I'd sacrifice something else before I'd get rid of my books. With the amount of time my family and I spend on the computer, maybe we could get rid of the tv! Lol, just kidding!
@ibuemma (2954)
hi, muscare. i love hardcover. Usually i wait until they have sale on hardcover book. I used to work at barnes and Noble bookstore, the happiest place of work I ever have, LOL :) everytime they have this hardcover books on sale i always on it plus additional employee discount. A lot of times i only pay 3 or 4 bucks for those precious hardcover book. Little secret i'm still doing that. I still got friend works in BN and they keep informed me everytime there's book on sale ;0)
@muscare (3069)
That would be my ideal place to work, a book shop, even more for getting staff discounts!! I would definitely pay those prices for a hardcover. Nice to know you've still got your 'spies' in the industry saving you money, lol!
Actually, I prefer the paperback version. I don't really like the hardcover one since it is so bulky. I can put more paperbacks into my bag - but not if it is the hardcover one. And here, the hardcovers are more expensive when they first are released. But within say a year, their prices will drop to lower than that of paperbacks - which usually maintain the same price. I usually buy the paperback - unless I come across the discounted hardcover. Since it is cheaper, then I will go for that. Else it would be the paperback one. :P
@muscare (3069)
When you are carrying books around, paperbacks are definitely a lot easier and lighter to handle. I'd like to find a few discounted hardcovers here, though, because I'd buy them for my collection. In the meantime, I'll keep buying paperbacks.
@Aurone (4758)
I get paperbacks of things I plan to read once maybe twice, but books that I love and plan to read again and again I buy in hardback. I am hard on books when I read them and I will "worry" a paperback so that by the 3rd or 4th reading it comes apart. Therefore, for some books a hardback is a better investment for me because its cheaper than buying the paperback twice! Plus I belong to a couple of bookclubs where I can get the books cheaper, if I just pay $10 for the hardback thats almost as cheap as a paperback.
@muscare (3069)
Yes, $10 for a hardback is really cheap. I always buy my books with the intent to read them a few times, and some more, but I don't seem to find the time much anymore. Maybe too much mylotting, lol!
@puchapox (583)
I like reading paperbacks because its a lot cheaper, plus I always bring my books along so its a hassle lugging thick books along.
@muscare (3069)
Yes, and a lot lighter, too! I think they should actually bring the price of all books down!
@mari_skye (1638)
I've always preferred paperback over hardcover because of the same reason you have mentioned, the price. Paperbacks do not come cheap as it is, what more the cost of hardbound books?! They are the same anyway, so I buy the paperback version.
@muscare (3069)
I think most of the hardcover books I have, I received as gifts, and I love getting books as gifts! I agree that paperbacks are overpriced as it is, but will still buy them before a hardcover.
@tala91285 (1080)
I have both kinds of books. I prefer hardbound books when they're reference or collector's edition books. Paperback books are convenient to bring since they're not as big as hardbound ones and not as heavy too ^_^
@muscare (3069)
Yes, I agree, there is a lot of weight in a hardcover novel, especially if you are reading in bed and trying to hold it up, lol! They look good on the bookshelf, but at the price they are, paperbacks look pretty good too!