Do you think you should train someone to do your job?

@juls2me2 (2151)
Aren't you giving up the need to keep you around by doing that? What are your thoughts.
@sherinek (3323)
That depends. My job of course, I cannot teach (I am a secretary) I have seen people who feel threatened when they were requested to teach their job to others. I think they have a reason.
@juls2me2 (2151)
My grandfather had worked in an assembly line making equipment, parts, and special screws. He said he was the fastest one in the line to complete his equipment. Management wanted him to train people his skill. He would train people but never revealed his secret for being quick. Management got made and had the next best assembly linesman train people and sure enough....they let him go when the younger people picked up his talent and improved on it. So I guess a good teacher, never reveals all his secrets for Job Security reasons.
@juls2me2 (2151)
@juls2me2 (2151)
I worked for the Ford Motor Company and now I am retired but I took the time to train people. Sometimes I had to go out of town but I always gave the person with me a lot of extra time for training and I knew that most of them would only spend a week or two with me as most people had families and could not live out of a suitcase like I did.. but some of the workers (very few) stayed with the job but I always benefited from this as my boss always trusted my judgement and wanted me to go as the customers like to see the same people instead of new peoplle I have seen a lot of pety people not pass on their skills and I would tell them what I thought..if you don't want to train me your job..then don't..i never forced them..once a supervisor told me to learn to learn a certain job as no one knew exactly how to do his job..he had it for so long..from the first day i could see that he did not want to train me his job so i just told the boss the truth..he was not going to train me his job and I don't want that job...(it was a nasty job anyway and i think he did me favor in the long run)...all i would have done was get a worse job for the same money..but i always train people..or did.