Looking for cheese alternatives!

By Leca
@lecanis (16664)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I'm on a restricted diet for my health, and one of the things that I have to cut out is dairy. Not much of that is hard for me except... cheese! I put cheese on everything typically. I've discovered I can eat burgers without cheese, and steamed vegetables without cheese sauce, and that sort of thing. However, I really want to be able to make my own pizzas and things with a good cheese substititute. I know that if I lived in a big city I could probably find such things in stores, but I don't really have any good options here for that. So I'm wondering if anyone has any nondairy cheese substititutes they know of that can be bought online, or any recipes that involve substituting something else for cheese that come out good. I'd really appreciate any help you can give me here, as I am just miserable without my cheese!
@byfaithonly (10716)
Sorry, I'm no help but oh I do feel for you. I practically live on cheese and eat some form or another nearly every day.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Haha, thanks anyways! Me too, there are so many things with cheese that I just love. Eating a sandwich without cheese is sooo hard, and I was a huge fan of things like cheese sticks as well! I'm really trying hard to do what the doctor tells me because I need to get well, but it's so challenging to imagine doing this for the rest of my life!
@byfaithonly (10716)
oh cheese sticks love em and don't have any in the house :(
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Hehe. =p I could never keep cheese sticks in the house. I would just eat them all up in one sitting if I bought some!
@filmbuff (2909)
I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice Lecanis. I love cheese also and have never really look for or wanted an alternative. It is by far my topping of choice. I use cheese instead of mustard, mayo, catsup etc, etc. Sorry I can't help, just wanted to express my love of cheese also and my condolences for you not being able to eat it anymore. :(
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks, filmbuff, even if you don't have any advice it's nice to hear from you! =) I know, I use cheese on just about everything too, it's always been one of my favorite foods! I never realized just how much cheese I ate until I was told I couldn't have it anymore! Every time I reach for something to eat, I find myself thinking how much better it would be with cheese on it! Thankfully I have gotten a few suggestions here, and hopefully one of them will turn out to help me!
@filmbuff (2909)
I hope you do find something that works out and is full of cheesey goodness. I would be at such a loss if I couldn't eat cheese anymore. I really feel for you.
@aissha (2036)
by this time u must be well aware of tofu which can be good alternative for cheeseu can use soya granules also and it is rich in female hormone ,if i remember correctly it is oestrogen.try it
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks, aissha, for your suggestions! You have a good point about the benefits of soy as well, thanks!
@wachit14 (3600)
There are plenty of people who are just like you so finding a resource to purchase dairy alternatives, especially cheese won't be difficult. First check your local supermarkets for soy alternatives. There are several varieties of soy cheese that are very, very good and can be used just like dairy based cheese. If you can't find it where you live, I've included a link that will direct you to companies who make products you may want to purchase. http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/cheese.htm http://www.imearthkind.com/Main.htm http://www.ellenskitchen.com/clearlight/vegvelv.html
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I have checked my local places, and didn't see anything, but I didn't actually ask anyone, so I'll have to do that. I'm a little shy so it always takes me looking on my own a couple of times before I work up the nerve to ask for help. =p Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out! =)
Try tofu. You can also try something called paneer (it's made from pressed curd so it IS diary but it's probably lighter than cheese) you should find it in stores that sell Indian foods.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for your suggestions! I think right now my issue has mostly been that I live in a small town and there aren't many options for shopping, but I'll have to ask about tofu options next time I'm in the grocery. =)
@rups02 (33)
hehehhee me to having hard time fighting that FAT in my body. All the best to u
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
For me it's not the fat that's the issue, but food allergies and Meniere's disease. Still, I'm finding that eating the low sodium diet my doctor gave me and trying to replace some of the things I'm having allergy issues with is having the side affect of causing me to lose weight, because I am eating less prepared and restaurant food. =p Good luck with your struggle as well!
@polachicago (19073)
The best for you is to visit Vegan websites and find something that you like. Vegan dairy alternatives are made form soy beans and taste great. Regarding first respond, goat cheese is in the same category as any other cheese...it is still dairy product; however it is proven to be less allergic.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for your suggestion! I'm going to have to do some searching around on vegan things! =) I'm glad to hear that you've had some great-tasting alternatives! I must say that I'm a little nervous because I love cheese so much and don't want to be disappointed, but there are some things that I just need something cheese-like to put on! =)
Is your menier's settled down for now? I have been having some dizzy days the last two days. My fibromyalgia has been acting up also. Good luck to you.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Nope, still spinning. It's been miserable. I've finally gotten to where I can be online more at least, but moving around is very scary. I'm so covered in bruises from falling, even though I'm trying to be as careful as possible. And my ear-nose-throat doctor seriously disappointed me by not really being willing to work with me on treatment options much! So I'm going to have to go back to my regular doctor and see if I can get a referral to see a further specialist elsewhere, which is going to take some serious planning and transportation arrangements. I'm still not back to work yet, and I'm going to try to get on short-term disability for a few weeks at least until I can get my treatment plan worked out. Thanks so much for asking! I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems as well! I hope both of us are feeling much better soon! Be careful!
Have you tried to look up web sites for vegan diet. Vegans do not eat dairy or cheese so the vegan diet web site might help you. My friend is vegan and she says there is subsitutes for most anything you want. How about cheese made from soy milk. I bet they make that. I think you can try web sites that are from the soy counsel or soy board. I hope this helps.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Oh, thanks so much! I hadn't really thought about the whole vegan thing... duh! I'll have to do some searches for vegan diets and soy information. =)
@cher913 (25890)
is goat cheese non dairy? perhaps you can visit your local health food store that has a grocery/deli in it and see what they have to offer? best of luck!
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
There aren't really any health food stores here that I can visit that I haven't checked already. That's why I was asking online. But thanks anyway! Unfortunately goat cheese is still dairy, which includes anything made from any kind of milk. =(