Help with my cat claws

I have two cats that have their claws. I would never ever remove them. However, sometimes they need to be clipped. One cat, he's no problem. Hubby holds him, and I snip. Now the problem, is the other one. She hates it. I have never hurt her. She screams and tries to pull out of his arms. Any suggestions out there to calm her? Or an easier way to do this? Thank you and God Bless you. M&M
@Calais (10900)
Thats sounds like a horrible situation, maybe try and wrap the kitten really tightly in a towel and try and clip them really really fast, or cover its eyes with the towel as well, I dont know what else, I have a cat that dosnt like it, but not that bad.
I may try that, good idea. Thanks very much. I don't know why she gets like that, as I don't clip them very short. Just the tip. She has never been hurt with the clippers.
@Calais (10900)
It maybe just the personality..I have a Doberman that I have to lay on to do this to, he has never been hurt he just dosnt like it.
If I layed on kitty, she would be squashed.:)
There is an alternative. I found a product on here that covers the claws. You have to buy new ones every six months or so but it would solve your problem, I think. The only problem is that I can't remember the name of it. You could probably put in "alternatives to declawing" in the search engine and see what comes up. I hope that helps.
I think it is called soft pad. But, how would I hold her still for that? She is so high strung.
Why don't you ask your vet to show you how they hold her when they do it. You said that they don't seem to have a problem, I believe. They can probably teach you to hold her so that she doesn't fight you. You can also wrap her in a towel. Put a large towel over her back and then tuck the sides around her. Maybe you could get someone to help you get a hold on her and then gently take her paws one at a time. Or talk to a groomer and ask them to show you how to hold her. That's my ideas.
@raydene (9874)
Honey,Just give the kitty some catnip prior to clipping time.The catnip tends to make them alittle easier to deal with.If you need some I'll send you some.I grow and dry lots. xooxxo
Awe, you are sweet. Honey, my kitty goes bonkers from catnip. She is so high strung in general. I cannot get out, so I want to do it myself. The other cat stays still when hubby holds him, even though he doesn't like it. But this little girl, dang, she fusses, screams, and fights holding her. Catnip would make her insane I think. Thanks for the offer though. Huggers. I hope you are holding up sugar, and brother too.
@aprilgrl (4460)
I had a cat that did that once and he acted like I was going to hurt him or something and yet I have done it so many times (trimmed their claws) so one day I decided to take him to the pet shop where they have a makeover for them like a bauty parlar it was so much fun to waych him going in there and get pampered they did his nails that's all I wanted them to do (just the nails) it didn't cost much but we did it deverl times andthen I took over.
Her nails grow very fast. I have taken her to the groomer, but she stresses. However, when they do it, she doesn't make one peep, or move. I wonder why?
@royal52gens (5380)
I would take the cat to the vet and let them clip the claws. Our vet is trained and is very good at doing this service. It does not cost a lot either. It is part of grooming.
I have to go to the groomers and have it done. But it is every 3 weeks,and she stresses out.
@TerryZ (22083)
Thats funny because my one cat is the same way she will let me no problem but the other one she is a problem too. You have to give them alot of kisses. And talk to them the whole time your doing it. Im sorry there really isnt any other way. Just do it!
@villageanne (8554)
We have never clipped our cats nails. I did not even know that this should be done. I will have to talk to my vet about this. I know I would never have them declawed. I knew a lady who had her cat declawed and I felt so sorry for it.