Help! My 9year old steals from me!

life - Stealing money from a persons wallet.
@liyan97 (2128)
Northern Mariana Islands
I realize that “steal” is a bit of a harsh word for a nine year old but what else can you call it? There probably have been times before when I would notice but I guess at that point I was in denial! I can’t do it anymore! My nine year old son is changing so fast, he was always a sweat kid except for the times when his disorder takes over him. Lately I have noticed that he has been lying all the time! He would take things from the fridge or from his sisters and lie that he hasn’t touched anything! I really don’t know how to deal with it. It has gotten so bad that he would take money from my purse and go to the neighbors and buy snacks, and when I approach him about it, he begins to cry and lie. I feel that the sooner accept that there is a problem then the better chances I have in correcting it. I have spoken to him many times and expressed my feelings toward individuals who lie and steal but he continues to do it. I know that it may seem petty but it is a habit that has go me worrying more about him. That’s where you all come in, I am at my wits end and don’t know how else to approach this. Please share your thoughts and advice!
@Latrivia (2889)
Well, if you're absolutely sure he's the culprit, then when he takes something from you, take something from him. For that dollar or two he'll take from your wallet, take away a gamesystem or something that means something to him. If he takes something from his sisters, then let them take something from him (of course, exlain this is punishment for their brother - you're not allowing them to really steal). If he's stealing from you, I think the best way to fight back is to let him have a taste of his own medicine. Tell him to return every cent he's taken, or every object he stole if he ever wants to see what you took from him again. If he cries, let him cry - what he's doing is wrong and it's your job as a parent to make him realize this. Put your foot down and let him know that such behavior won't be tolerated.
@liyan97 (2128)
• Northern Mariana Islands
Thank you Latriva:) I now realize that I really do need to put my foot down, no matter how much it may hurt. I am grateful for your response, I will try all the different techniqes you all have advised me:) Thank You Again:)
@butterfly39 (3907)
Well, it's hard to deal it, but maybe4 it will help if you talk to him always, give him special attention, what he want to buy or what he wants to eat so he won't steal money from you again coz you already bought them. Before he sleeps please talk to him and ask him why he's doing it and tell him not to coz it is a bad thing and he'll be in jail if he'll do it again.
@liyan97 (2128)
• Northern Mariana Islands
Thank you so much for your response butterfly39 :) I try so hard to provide all my children with everything this life has to offer...why he does these things, I really don't know! I pray that this is only a phase and that he will not grow into it any further than he already has! Thank You Again