Kids alone on a plane?

In the movies, parents seem to have no problem sticking their under-age kids on a plane by themselves. And, while everything seems to work out OK for them, I'm not sure if I could do this in real life. Too many uncertainties, unfamiliar situations and strangers to be met along the way for me to ever think this would be a safe thing to do. What about you? Have you ever put your child on a plane by themselves? Would you?
• United Arab Emirates
No, I would never leave my child alone in a plane. Either me or my husband has to be with him. It is not a safe thing to do. I do not even feel comfortable at the thought of sending my child all alone in the plane. It is really not safe. Nowadays anything can happen. Take care of your children.
I am in complete agreement with you on this issue. I could never imagine allowing my child out of my sight for more than a few minutes. She will have to grow up and move away from home, if she wants to be on a plane by herself.
Well to me it shoudl b okay if u leave them on the plane (only for nonstop) just as much if u went with them...if there was a terrorist attack what real difference oculd u have made...i kno i kno, it's the thing that u couldn't b with them, but the fact is they would've been just as unsafe...that's my opinion
For some reason, I'm not as much worried about terrorist attack as stranger abduction. I know that one of the other people posted a very detailed criteria that her child goes through when traveling alone cross country. Most airlines can't be trusted not to lose luggage and pets, so why would I ever trust them with my most precious cargo, my child!
@larskie23 (867)
hi there beautyqueen. 2 of my cousins which is 8 and 7, ride on the plane last week to meet their parents in new zealand. they were just fetch by my aunt but a friend of their father was with them during the travel. though its still risky because it not a relative, but they have to trust the man since there's no other choice. but they arrive safely at new zealand. :-)
Hi Larskie! I am so happy to hear that the little kids got to their destination in New Zealand safely. I've always dreamed of visiting New Zealand. I've heard that it is green and lovely. Is that true?
@speedy1279 (2667)
No I have never put my kids on an airplane by themselves. Just seems like too much could go wrong with that. Now if they were older kids say 13 or so. Then I may consider it. But my kids are 10, 4, and 3. So I would never put them on a plane by themselves.
I'm in total agreement with you on this one. For me, I'd be very skeptical of airline employees to take care of my little one's safety while she was on the flight. There are so many strangers on planes, and not all of them have good intentions. In our area, kids as old as 13 years have been abducted from public spots like school bus stops and even the front door of schools. So, how am I to believe that my kid would be any safer in an airplane, if she wouldn't be safe at a local bus stop? So, I am in no mood to trust my kid anywhere, ever, out of my eyesight.
@sunshine4 (8709)
My sisters step children have been put on a plane alone. They inform the crew that the kids are traveling alone and the kids are then assigned someone from the airline to make sure they get on connecting flights and safely to the designated pickup person.
@Ravenladyj (22937)
I've never done it and I dont think i ever could but I have a couple of neices who've flown alone when they were young, little ones and all went well...When you send a child alone on a flight they are well cared for by the attendants and the child is never left alone to fend for themselves in the airport etc....But no I couldnt do it myself...
I think it's an irresponsible behavior to let a child to get on a plane alone. Although the parents explain that it's like a practice and the child can learn to be independent. I don't agree to it. First, child will feel nervous and scared when he/she stays alone in the plane. Second, if something goes wrong, he/she can't solve it by himself/herself. Third, it'll be a disaster if he/she meets bad people. Fouth, if he/she feels sick on the plane, then it's much more suffering without parents. We had a travel by the end of last year. It's my first time for my son to get on a plane. At that time he was 2.5 years old. I was with him all the time. As it's normal to feel uncomfortable for the ears when you are in the plane. I played with him and also sometimes let him east snacks. Fortunately nothing bad happened and he seemed to do well in the plane.