What's your attitude toward life?

@ladyluna (7004)
Hello All, A dear friend shared this with me. I do not know if this is a true story, or not. But, I found it quite moving. So, I thought I would share it with all of you. Enjoy! It's all about ATTITUDE: A 92-year-old, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably coiffed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary. After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready. As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window. "I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy. "Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait." "That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied. "Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged ... it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it." It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away. Just for this time in my life. Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories! Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank. I am still depositing. Remember the five simple rules to be happy: 1. Free your heart from hatred. 2. Free your mind from worries. 3. Live simply. 4. Give more. 5. Expect less.
@Lucille7 (509)
• South Africa
What a wonderful story. Yes this is how I try and live my life. It is the best way and the way we approach each day and how we handle what comes our way is how successful we will be each day. Thank you for sharing this inspiration with us!
@ladyluna (7004)
Hello Lucille7, I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I suspect that you're absolutely correct -- that success is most often pre-determined by one's expectations. Because actions are first manifested as thought. Even though the outcome may not be exactly as we had expected, our intention of success usually offers a valuable learning experience. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
@Lucille7 (509)
• South Africa
Thank you so much! Much appreciated!
@charms88 (7543)
Hello luna. This is truly an inspiring and well-thought topic. In a way, this is telling us to keep looking on the positive side of life. We are all not exempted from having to go through life's uncertainty and obstacle but we can use all our experiences to improve ourself and to believe that life is still beautiful. Thank you for sharing this one.
@ladyluna (7004)
Hello Charms, I'm glad the story touched you. Yup, when life gives us lemons, adding a little sugar to make lemonade, is often much more satisfying than just puckering up. Don't ya' just love a story with a good moral? I know I do. They force me to stop, and put life into perspective. Thanks for commenting on the story.
@sigma77 (5385)
I have ran into this somewhere before. There is no better advice that I have seen. Thanks for sharing.
@ladyluna (7004)
You're welcome Sigma. I particularly like the part about depositing, then later withdrawing from our own bank. It makes a lot of sense to my tired, little head anyway.