Do you feed your kids what they want?

My son is sort of a vegetarian. He eats some fruits and veggies (very little veggies), cheese, peanut butter and bacon (the last 3 for protein) and of course any kind of bready/carby nightmare they invent. I feel like a bad parent because I can't get him to eat other stuff, and I give easily into what he DOES eat. Do you do this? If hes not going to eat beef, chicken, salad or any of that other stuff, am I wrong in just not serving it to him? I have never seen a kid as picky as mine and I've seen some kids in my time....
Are you sure you're not talking about my son? He's just like that too!! On one hand, I really want him to have a balanced diet but he's so willful and will not even try something that he doesn't like the look of. He's 2. Sigh... However, I do not like to subscribe to this theory of feeding them whatever they want or letting them eat mac & cheese for 2 weeks if that's all they want to eat. So, I find myself having to be REALLY creative in coming out with things for him to try. It's really a hit and miss thing. You just have to try everything and every single possible combination you can think of. For example, since your son likes eating bread, instead of just PB&J, you can try making him some french toast. I just use eggs, milk and a dash of cinnamon with whole wheat bread. You can also try pancakes. I've made him peanut butter ones, banana ones, blueberry ones, etc. If he likes yogurt, you can try putting in pieces of fruit in there. If he doesn't like yogurt but likes ice-cream, this is what I did for my son. I would cut up small pieces of fruit, put them in the yogurt and freeze it. I then tell him it's ice-cream and he can't get enough of that stuff! If your son is older than 1 and is not allergic to soy, you might also like to try some tofu for the protein. Mine just ate a whole bowl of that tonight. What I did was add some creamy pasta sauce that I've made the night before into some firm tofu and sauteed it a little. He gobbled the thing up which really surprised me. For meat, mine only likes hamburgers so I make my own. I add lots of veggies and tofu to make it nice and soft. I know it is easy to just give in and let them eat whatever they want but sometimes, some extra work and effort does pay off. I also make my own mac & cheese and pasta dishes for him using whole wheat pasta. I also make my own toaster pastries, muffins and cake using healthy ingredients. If he likes french fries, you can make your own too. All you have to do is cut the potatoes up french fry style, coat it with a little butter and bake it at 350 till it's golden brown.
I do try. Sometimes he will ask to eat something and I'm glad to share it. If he likes it I get him his own, then he won't eat it. HAS to be mommy's food. lol. Kids....
@Michele21 (3095)
My son is very picky too!! I posted a few days ago about him not eating dinner or anything else =) I just started giving him whatever he wants, luck for me he loves fruits and veggies. But this week for two days all he would eat was pepperonis!! Two days!! But I gave them to him and still tried to get him to eat other foods, he wouldn't touch them though =) He drinks milk and water with a splash of juice in it. He isn't starving so I TRY not to worry about it =) And I hope and pray that he grows out of it!!
Yeah, mine isn't starving, and he's growing well. I just worry about him.