How do you cut your Expenses

I am always interested about saving. I love getting saving tips. It's truly important nowadays to cut expenses as prices keep on getting higher and higher. I know many people here have plenty to share. So why don't we discuss it here?
I save by clipping coupons from Sunday's paper. I turn off my circuit breaker when I leave my home. I use every saving light bulbs. I buy can milk and double it with water. Saves me from buying gallon milk all the time. I use store bags to toss the trash out. If I use a large bag and it's dry. I will dump the garbage in the dumpster to save the plastic bag. I reuse bounty paper towels when I can. I buy only scott tissue as it lasts longer. The cheap brand needs more to cover. I just bought the diva cup to save on womans needs. I relax my hair once every 2 months to save money there as well. I buy the laundry bar soap. Then grate it to make washing soap last longer. I have way to many things to list here. I hope to learn of a few more. :)
My fridge has gone strong during hurricane season. As long as you don't open and close it. Your freezer is fine and frozen. I have been without electric for over 3 days. I cut my breaker off for like 4 hours. Oh yeah my alarm works on batteries. It's good that it is on them. thanks
• Sweden
I always turn off the light when I leave a room, and I pull out the power plugs when not in use since, for example, a turned off TV still generates electricity. I take really quick showers, and I don't let the water run while I brush my teeth. It's mostly small things, but they help.
Oh I do not watch tv shows much. I wanna sell the television. Thanks for sharing.
@stealthy (8188)
I don't know if these are available were you live. I use coupons from the newspaper and the internet. I stock up on items when they are on sale, like canned vegetables, salmon, paper goods, etc. I use rebates for computer items and other things. Here Walgreens(a drustore and general merhandise store) has a monthly rebate book that always has some free items and if it is something I use I will get it and often I will have a coupon so I end up making money off of it. I work from home so I don't drive much and when I do I plan my trips and try to get everything I need from stores and such in one trip. I set the thermostat low in Winter and high in Summer to save on gas and electricity. There are more, but you get the idea.
Coupons are very rare here in my country but we get discount coupons from magazines sometimes or they are given to us by the store's cashier if they have promos. Sometimes, I wasnt abloe to use those coupons becoz they only give 1% discount.
@psyche49f (2511)
Since prices of gasoline have soared up, I cut down on my trips to the city...so I buy in bulk. I use my car daily to and from my place of work which is just some 10 minutes drive from our house, so it's not really eating up my budget when I cut down my trips to the grocery store. Next, I buy fresh fruits, vegetables every Saturday morning, along with meat, chicken, etc. also in bulk so that the next marketing day would be around Wednesday, and just buy groceries from the store about the same day or Sunday, also in bulk to cut on gasoline expenses. Also, I switch off at once all unnecessary lights and fans and aircon, to bring down electricity bills, the same goes with water. I buy my clothes from 'ukay-ukay', they look good--one will never know, right? My daughter and I are always on the lookout for sales in department stores to avail of discounts on things which we need only. Remember, avoid buying things which we don't really need. To top it all, I save a portion of my income as well as that of my son's...whatever I save, we forget about it. In other words, we never withdraw our savings unless it is really necessary....
I couldnt help but laugh after reading the last part of your post. I did that. Most of the time when I save something, I would tend to forget. Sometimes I keep money inside envelops, keep them inside my closet. And I would really forget. When I start cleaning my closet, I would probably find the envelops and they would surprise me. I never thought I had been keeping some money somewhere else.
@blackbriar (9080)
Nope, not gonna share. -zips lips shut- Can't make me. :-p ummmmmmmm..Guess maybe I should, eh. When you clip coupons for use at the store, put the pennies saved into a jar and when that's full either use it toward a bill or put it in a savings account. Go to (I think) www.rebates.com and print out rebates for all the items you buy that are available. Fill em out and mail em in along with the necessary upcs' and receipts. When you get the rebate checks in the mail, again, put in jar or savings account. Buy in bulk! Usually, but not always, it's cheaper to buy items you use alot that way. If you have a discount grocery store near you (Aldi's, Safeway, etc) do as much of your shopping there as possible. They may carry off brands but they are just as good in quality as the name brands. If you have satellite, do you really need more than 30 channels? Cut back to basic channels and you'll save money that way as well. I cut back to just local channels and only pay $5.99 a month. My daughter has come to love all the oldies from when we were kids..Jeffersons, Brady Bunch, I Dream of Jeanie, etc etc. Seldom see her watching cartoons anymore. Cut back on your landline if you have one. All you really need is a line and nothing else. Paying for unlimited local calling is worth the extra few bucks thou. That's all I have but only cause I have to have it for my DSL. Use fans, specially ceiling fans, instead of the A/C if possible. If you must run it, set it at no less than 76 if you can handle it. I have mine set at 78 thru the whole summer but rarely need it cause of the fans I have going non-stop. Whenver you are about to buy something, think to yourself..can we get by without it? We have so far.. Chances are you really don't need it. If you fertilize your lawn couple times a year..buy a mulching kit for you mower and stop using the fertilizer. The grass clippings are usually enough organic fertilizer for your lawn and it breaks down gradually so your lawn has a steady supply. I've never bought fertilizer for my lawn cept the starter kind to apply when I seed a bald area to get it going. After that, nothing. ...That's all I can think of for right now but I'm sure I do a ton of other things to save money.
@wiccania (3360)
I use coupons -- mostly for things that I would normally buy. Sometimes, if there's something I want to try and I find a coupon for it I'll clip that one too. I also try to pay attention to what's on sale at the grocery store. Except for something that I just "have to have" or something that's a good price anyway, I try to buy all of my meat and produce on sale. Last time the phone company offered a special for phone, dsl and satelite, I cancelled cable and ordered the satelite (I already had phone and dsl) and ended up saving $30 a month.
@byfaithonly (10716)
I guess the thing I do most is cut down on my driving - gas is so horribly high these days. Rather than making several trips to town a week I plan ahead so I can take care of several things while there.
@lpetges (3036)
thats what i do now, i only go to town once a week and get all my errands done on that day. we also eat out less, and that saves alot of money. we love to go boating, but even the gas for that has turned into an expensive day, so we hang out mostly at home and have friends over.
I save by buying from a hypermarket. The good sold in hypermarkets are cheaper than the goods sold in ordinary supermarkets and grocery stores. In that way I would be able to save some money. Another way is I usually buy in bulk so that I can store them in my house. In that way I could save on petrol consumption.
@wisedragon (2330)
I live in the Philippines and whenever I eat out at restaurants or fastfoods I usually order lumpiang shanghai. It's usually one of the lowest-priced items on the menu, compared to things like crispy pata.
@rakhii (1302)
I really dont cut down my expenses. But I really try to save money. I try shopping from places where there is discount on MRP. The grocery items we buy for our home, are bought from the orbit hypermarket where we get a discount of 0.25 paisa to 5 Rupees on MRP. That really saves money for us. Secondly, I try going for cheaper commodities when and where possible. That also saves money a lot. Thirdly, we try saving electricity at home that cuts down the electricity bill. Try making lesser calls from landline and cellphone, that again saves money. Then, the coupons we get filled in the recharge of cellphone are also bought accordingly. There are many such ways, which we use to save money. may be they can help others too. Thanks!
"Buy only what you neede not what you want!" that is one of my motto in order to manage my expences. As a college student, i need to arrange my needs properly to prevent from having tought time in the future. Besides, avoid from borrowing other money. Don't make it one of your habit. From my experiences, people who can manage properly will able to manage his or her life without any problems. That are my advices. Hopefully can made you some choices.
@sid556 (31005)
I am very very careful with my electricity bill. At nite I use nite lights to light up hallways. All my lite bulbs are those new energy saver ones that cost a bit more but do save alot in the long run. I buy my clothes in thrift shops on the rare occassion that I do buy clothes. My daughter and I check each other when in the stores...do you really really NEED this? I have an extra shampoo and conditioner bottle. when either is low , I drain the bottle into these containers. It may be a mix of many brands but it has saved us more than once when money is tight. The most important thing I do now is live within my means and that means no credit cards...I do have credit debt but I am paying it off. We live quite simply. Our biggest extra would be this internet service. I drive a used car that I paid for with cash...not to pretty but it gets us around and we have no monthly fee on it. because it is old, the insurance on it is dirt cheap.
Petrol prices seems to keep going up and up so I would try to walk where ever I can if the destination is within walking distances. I go to uni so I make my own sandwich to bring alone. This is perhaps the most productive savings as prices of food and drinks on campus are really high these days. That's about all that I can think of at the moment, hopefully some more cost-saving ideas will come out of this discussion that I could use.
Two of the biggest ways we save money are 1- wash your clothes in cold water only, and two we leave the air conditioner on 82 except at night when we are sleeping, and the heat on 69 in the winter. It saves a ton of money to do that. I buy generic groceries whenever I can, use 1/2 regular milk and half powdered milk. I buy the cheaper shampoo and use the nicer conditioner same with laundry soap, the cheaper soap is fine and use snuggle fabric softener. Saves at least 6 dollars right there. I grocery shop all at once, so no uneccesarry returning to the store, except for bread and milk.
@lingli_78 (12845)
i use simple method to keep my expenses down... only buy the things that i need, avoid unnecessary expenses (like being sick, fines, accidents, etc), shop around to find the cheapest price before i buy something (why have to pay more if you can pay less to get the same item? :-)), fill the fuel of my car only on certain day when the price is the lowest (they have a particular day here when the price of the gas is the lowest compare to other days), on top of that, i also use the fuel docket to get more discount, buy in bulks and not eating outside too often... i still have more... but this is the important one that i do...
@webbuff (926)
i usually cut my cost by saving things like extra rides.. instead to take a cab.. i take the bus or the train... its much more cheaper and really cut my cost to 20-30% a day. =)
@hmike_d (1529)
The basics of saving is cost-cutting of expenses. As we all have in mind about variety of stuff that we tempt to buy, its time to eliminate and even eradicate it all for a while. Don't intend to buy stuff unless its on your priority list. Yes, you do have to set up your priorities and make sure to always slice up from your income a spare amount to be deposited to your bank. Just as simple as that. Be sure always to make it possible to forget all wants.
@dpk262006 (56217)
I prefer not to go out for eating outside, regularly. I prefer home cooked food. Because it is always expensive to eat outside....in this manner I believe, I save some of my expenses. Good Post!
I actually wrote a couple of articles on cutting expenses on Associated Content. I cut my expenses on my electric bill by turning off all of the lights and I changed my light bulbs to a lower whatt that is also enviormentally friendly. I filled my toilet tank with rocks, this causes the water to rise more wich will cause you to use less water everytime you flush the toilet. I jot down everything that I need from the store so that I will remember them, this makes me use less fuel for my car.
@kitty1234 (1476)
I use coupons and free offers all he ime, I get samples from differen companies and use them instead of buying...I have become a member of Coke Rewards and ever can or bottle earns you points, when you have enough points you can get coupons for free soda. I use as little elecricity as possible and then only at night when the rates are cheaper. I walk instead of drive short distances. I save as much as possible since I gave been unemployed and leftovers become something else the next day....Gosh I wish I were rich, its a lot of work saving money, lol.